1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Received a notice from the State of MA urging me to begin the LTC renewal process now

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbest, Jan 22, 2019.

1. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It can when your PD camps/turtles/drags serious ass and sits on your LTC app. Get the renewal in and get the receipt, then wait... as long as you have that receipt, you're covered if it goes into expiration.

-Mike

2. Alien

Alien NES Member

True except you can not buy or sell a firearm nor purchase ammunition on an expired license. If you are nearing your expiration and might need some ammunition buy it before your license expires.

3. Pete85

Pete85

When I renewed over 5 years ago, I got a letter from the PD about six months before hand advising me to renew soon. When I met with the detective, he told me they were sending out all the renewals at the end of the week and I should expect it to take about 12 weeks to get my new card. Twelve weeks to the day, I had my new license. I got it about two months before my birthday, but the issue date was on my birthday, when my prior license expired. This was also right after Sandy Hook though so they were pretty backed up. Now that the frenzy over that has died down, I wouldn't expect it to take as long, but anyone who applied/renewed at that time is coming up for renewal now, so it may be the same situation.

That also reminds me that I'll have to start the renewal process later this year.

4. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

You are absolutely WRONG!!

free and MuzzleDiscipline like this.
  5. SgtHal75

SgtHal75

Did in my town, but I’m in a super neon green town so I don’t worry, for now.....

6. skiro98

skiro98

Mine expires end of May. Got my notice yesterday. But I already made my appointment for for April back in December when I was on the phone with them for something else.

7. dw617

dw617 NES Member

Got mine last week and called my PO just now. My license expires in mid May, they told me to make the appointment for mid April.

8. mbullism

mbullism

Last renewal end of August. Filled out the form and the check, went to drop off and make appointment months ahead of time... "hold on a sec, let me see if he has a sec" (?)... took me in right away, prints on file, told me to call if I hadn't heard "in a couple weeks"...(double "?", lol). I can't recall exactly how long, but close to 10 days to two weeks or so I got a call it was "in".

I carried both for months o_O

AHM likes this.
  9. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Called my PD about a month ago to find out about my LTC expiring in June, they said no earlier than 3 months to do the renewal. Then about a week later I got the card in the mail to renew soon. Last renewal took 7 months, they said they are going much faster now. I am still going to go down and do it earlier I think. They don't take appointments, just show up on certain days/times when they do it and first come first serve.

10. AHM

AHM NES Member

Good, because (as other people don't realize),
    the new one isn't valid until its start date.

11. Ringworm

Ringworm

I walked in, handed the PD $100 and my renewal sheet. Never talked to the licensing officer. 5 weeks later, license ready. I love towns that aren't filled with complete sh!tbags.

It's still a permission slip, however. No matter what they call it. Or what "regulation" bullsh!t they wrap it in.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  12. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Any town that can't give you an app't for more than a week is a shitbag town. Jack.

13. Regman

Regman

Today is week 15 since I sat with Dracut's licensing office for my LTC renewal and still nothing.

14. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Can you imagine the uproar if a drivers license was the same as a LTC renewal?

John4166 likes this.
  15. powerman

powerman

started renew oct 3rd, expired oct 5th, saw town early December for prints and interrogation like a criminal and nothing yet. 3-1/2 months so far.
    who needs it anyway,
    in a situation like this, I guess you can't enter all the new stuff you bought out of state or want to transfer into state, they only give you 7 days, so their problem not ours. you can't comply with law.

Dennis in MA likes this.
  16. Alien

Alien NES Member

My last renewal took longer than expected and I was on an expired license. Even with documentation that I had applied for renewal I could find nobody in the area to sell me ammunition. So it "may" not be the law it is being (or was 6 years ago) interpreted that way by merchants.

17. barnabus

barnabus NES Member

My first renewal is coming up.

Does the PD give you this receipt?

18. free

free NES Member

Six years ago has nothing to do with the facts on the ground today. You need to up your game and use recent, relevant examples.

Thanks.

19. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1

yes , if not , ask for it .

barnabus likes this.
  20. barnabus

barnabus NES Member

Thanks

21. MuzzleDiscipline

MuzzleDiscipline NES Life Member NES Member

Deal with better merchants

22. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

BPD told me the state wants them to pull microfilm records for every renewal. Apparently this is really slowing them down.

23. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Non renewal prior to expiration date = suspension of right to purchase weapons or ammo in state.

24. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

So do you just download the application and drop it off at the police station, then request an appointment?

25. MAJoe

MAJoe NES Member

It varies based on your town.

26. Waher

Waher NES Member

One wonders who at the state level ordered this. Takes a really petty tyrant to go after ancient records for renewals when a licensee already has years of demonstrated responsible behavior through maintaining the license without committing a revocable offense.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Alien likes this.
  27. seanc

seanc

I renewed 1st week of October. I got it the mail last Friday. So, @ 3 months from application to receive.

28. JGreen

JGreen

Centrally locatated to several GREAT gun clubs
    Just a friendly reminder: Chapter 140 sec 131(e):
    "The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law."

Disgusting that so many chiefs of police could care less about abiding by the above law.

29. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan

I got the letter in October. My license expires in March. I put in the renewal when I got the letter in mid-October. I just got the license yesterday. So about 90 days. Twice as long as the law allows... But they don't seem to care about that.

I asked the LT in my local PD what the hold up was... He said he was waiting on the card from Boston and I would get the call the day it came in... I do believe him. He was bitching about it more than I was...

30. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Law changed in 2015, not all merchants can read English (it's printed on the bottom of the MIRCS receipt) or will comply. Never expect big box stores or national chains to comply.

They are supposed to but not all will/do. And it is only generated when they input your data into the system. So if they sit on a pile of apps, chances are you won't get it and you also won't have infinite grace period as allowed by law.

True.

True, however same problem if PD doesn't enter it in the system prior to expiration. Plus if not entered in time all you have is a 90 day grace period per MGL.

Ringworm and barnabus like this.