Recce Carbine 4/2-4/3

AJK129

NES Member
Just completed the 4/2-4/3 Recce Carbine class, wanted to type something up while its still fresh in my head.

I haven't been to Ridgeline before, and they definitely deserve the reputation they have around here. These guys have a fantastic class and facility.

We started out in the classroom reviewing basics and equipment set up.

For the most part, everyone was shooting ar's with lpvos. One guy was shooting 300blk suppressed, and another guy had a Tavor with a red dot and magnifier. I was shooting my 14.5in w/ winchester 55gr .223 and a vortex viper II 1-6.

This class was great for showing the capabilities of an lpvo, and really shows how capable an ar15 is out to 400 yards without much effort. Theres some slight changes I need to make on the rifle that I think will help, and I'd definitely take the class again. A bipod would have been nice, although I'll keep practicing without one too.

We zeroed at 100, and then shot for data on holdovers for 5, 10 ,15 ,25 ,50, 75, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 yards.

20220403_162940.jpg

We shot from 10 different baricades built from real world obects. Car, flipped car, tank trap, barrel, rocks, telephone pole, cinder blocks, horse gate

20220404_071927.jpg

We worked on wind calls, and then shooting unknown distances. I need to put a bit more practice into these, I was overthinking the math when it really wasn't that difficult.

Next was moving targets at 3 different speeds, shot at 2 different distances.

We ended with combining different aspects, and ran a 2 man team event where we start out in a car and worked our way down the 4 ranges. Ton of fun

The instructors, Jay and Blake, did a great job, and have experience to back up what they say. They also had a lot of patience, especially the couple times when it seemed like the entire class's IQ would randomly drop 30 points.

The weather was mostly sunny, mid-high 30s Saturday, and low 40s Sunday (I managed to get slightly sunburnt in NH in April :rolleyes:). Pretty comfortable temperature in my opinion. The views from the range are amazing, and they're working on adding even more to their facility, I'm not sure there's anywhere better in New England to go shoot. Im looking forward to going back for more

20220402_181027.jpg

Also, if anyone plans on going in mud season, its off a dirt road that had some major ruts. Fun in the lifted Jeep, I don't think the guys who drove Mercedes were feeling the same about it

Just completed the 4/2-4/3 Recce Carbine class, wanted to type something up while its still fresh in my head.

I haven't been to Ridgeline before, and they definitely deserve the reputation they have around here. These guys have a fantastic class and facility.

We started out in the classroom reviewing basics and equipment set up.

For the most part, everyone was shooting ar's with lpvos. One guy was shooting 300blk suppressed, and another guy had a Tavor with a red dot and magnifier. I was shooting my 14.5in w/ winchester 55gr .223 and a vortex viper II 1-6.

This class was great for showing the capabilities of an lpvo, and really shows how capable an ar15 is out to 400 yards without much effort. Theres some slight changes I need to make on the rifle that I think will help, and I'd definitely take the class again. A bipod would have been nice, although I'll keep practicing without one too.

We zeroed at 100, and then shot for data on holdovers for 5, 10 ,15 ,25 ,50, 75, 200, 250, 300, 350, 400 yards.

View attachment 599005

We shot from 10 different baricades built from real world obects. Car, flipped car, tank trap, barrel, rocks, telephone pole, cinder blocks, horse gate

View attachment 599006

We worked on wind calls, and then shooting unknown distances. I need to put a bit more practice into these, I was overthinking the math when it really wasn't that difficult.

Next was moving targets at 3 different speeds, shot at 2 different distances.

We ended with combining different aspects, and ran a 2 man team event where we start out in a car and worked our way down the 4 ranges. Ton of fun

The instructors, Jay and Blake, did a great job, and have experience to back up what they say. They also had a lot of patience, especially the couple times when it seemed like the entire class's IQ would randomly drop 30 points.

The weather was mostly sunny, mid-high 30s Saturday, and low 40s Sunday (I managed to get slightly sunburnt in NH in April :rolleyes:). Pretty comfortable temperature in my opinion. The views from the range are amazing, and they're working on adding even more to their facility, I'm not sure there's anywhere better in New England to go shoot. Im looking forward to going back for more

View attachment 599003
Thank you for coming up and for the kind words. None of what we've built up here would be possible without the continued support of people like yourself. I'm glad you enjoyed it, we look forward to having you back.
V/R,
Alex

What would you change about your setup now that you've been through the class?
Mostly having a bipod, a ffp over sfp would be nice but not a huge deal. I have a mil scope already and would recommend that. Possibly slight changes to my scope position.

I'd also try a front grip over a hand stop to have a more consistent mounting point on barricades, because my hand stop has 2 points that drop down there were a couple times I get caught on the front part rather than where I wanted the rifle to sit.

Nothing huge overall, the bipod would have helped a bit but I plan on training prone without one more now too.

Mostly having a bipod, a ffp over sfp would be nice but not a huge deal. I have a mil scope already and would recommend that. Possibly slight changes to my scope position.

I'd also try a front grip over a hand stop to have a more consistent mounting point on barricades, because my hand stop has 2 points that drop down there were a couple times I get caught on the front part rather than where I wanted the rifle to sit.

Nothing huge overall, the bipod would have helped a bit but I plan on training prone without one more now too.
I found a front grip works a lot better, good change.

I thinking about either the CQC or combative carbine class. Have you taken one of those?

AJK129,

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad you enjoyed the course!

That's also a great photo of the mountain range.

Jay

Man, that facility is coming along and looking nice. [rockon]

Last summer?

44.371973339039116, -71.71178106561521

It was around 500, I haven't counted yet for the exact # I have left. I had a loose case of 1000
I'm hoping they schedule an other Recce class for the fall. I have a case of M193 on the shelf, I'll have to get down and shoot it for groups to make sure it's up to the task.

Our next Recce Carbine is July 23-24. There are still a few open seats.
I wish I could that weekend, I promised my little girl a camping trip in the Whites that weekend. She can handle a rifle pretty well for a 6 year old, but this might be a little advanced for her. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom