• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

rebuilding Pre-bans any case law yet?

So I have wanted to replace the black followers in some prebans forever... I have always refrained I know MGL doesn't say you can or can not I also know it had not been tested in court.. So has any herd of it being tested in the past few years? Has anyone seen a shop selling prebans with updated followers? No need to mention a shop name..

From what I've read/heard, you can replace the guts of the magazine without worry. So you shouldn't have any issue replacing the follower (and/or spring) in those magazines.

So I have wanted to replace the black followers in some prebans forever... I have always refrained I know MGL doesn't say you can or can not I also know it had not been tested in court.. So has any herd of it being tested in the past few years? Has anyone seen a shop selling prebans with updated followers? No need to mention a shop name..

No. Have fun with that.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about it- but I'm not a laywer, and I'm also way past the point of giving a shit about what the state thinks about what I do with legal accessories like preban mags, so I'm a tad jaded. [laugh]

-Mike

Call North Shore Firearms and ask them.

Zing! And tell them that your name is Ahmed![devil]

Seriously, I don't know of anyone who worries about this.

On the other hand, if you want a definitive answer, I'm sure I can "hook you up" [laugh] with a few chiefs or the ass general counsel to EOPS who will be more than happy to bring a case against you to try to convince a judge that you can't even re-load a pre-ban mag and once the ammo is used up the first time it's a felony to reload it to make it killy again. [rofl]

EDITED: See Post # 10

Last edited:
Zing! And tell them that your name is Ahmed![devil]

Seriously, I don't know of anyone who worries about this.

On the other hand, if you want a definitive answer, I'm sure I can "hook you up" [laugh] with a few chiefs of the ass general counsel to EOPS who will be more than happy to bring a case against you to try to convince a judge that you can't even re-load a pre-ban mag and once the ammo is used up the first time it's a felony to reload it to make it killy again. [rofl]

LenS! You got me spitting out my coffee on that one![laugh2]

Whoops I had wrong word but maybe funnier! I meant ". . . a few chiefs OR the ass general counsel to EOPS . . . "! [And no "ass" was intentional vs. "asst" - her real title.]

CORRECTION:

Said person sent me this personal Email a short time ago:

Hi Mr. xxxxxxxx - I just wanted to let you know that my title is no longer "Ass" General Counsel, but is now Deputy General Counsel at EOPSS

I guess we should congratulate her on her promotion. [wave]

I'm glad she has a sense of humor and hope she enjoys reading NES as much as many of us do.

Last edited:
It's a repair part, no different than replacing the internals, barrel, stock, etc on a pre-ban firearm.

The one legal sticking point that's never been satisfactory answered is replacing damaged pre-ban mag bodies in this state.

From what I've read/heard, you can replace the guts of the magazine without worry. So you shouldn't have any issue replacing the follower (and/or spring) in those magazines.

Where did you hear that? As far as I know the law is silent on the matter and the AG's office isn't talking....

With that said, I have replaced springs and followers (and base plates) when necessary. I personally feel that the legal risk is very low, though you really never know in this shithole.

Where did you hear that? As far as I know the law is silent on the matter and the AG's office isn't talking....

With that said, I have replaced springs and followers (and base plates) when necessary. I personally feel that the legal risk is very low, though you really never know in this shithole.

Since the body is the part date stamped, that should be the only item/part that you cannot change.

Of course, I'm living in a state where you can buy brand new 30 round magazines (or larger) and use them as much as you desire... [smile]

Since the body is the part date stamped, that should be the only item/part that you cannot change.

Of course, I'm living in a state where you can buy brand new 30 round magazines (or larger) and use them as much as you desire... [smile]

Well if we were talking about what the law ~should~ be we wouldn't even be having this discussion at all. (And of course the body is not necessarily date stamped anyway, so the theory is flawed.)

What date stamp? With the exception of USGI AR mags (and even that's not 100%) very few pistol or rifle mags are actually date stamped.

-Mike

All high-capacity military-style semi-automatic assault weapon rifle feeding device clip magazines are double-secret illegal in MA.

Y'all may not know it yet, but that's what the men weilding high-capacity military-style semi-automatic assault weapon rifle feeding device clip magazines with blue lights on their cars told me.

I worried about this for a while - now I just say **** it. I replaced the springs, followers, floor plates and even sand blasted and duracoated them. They look brand new.... Maybe some over zealous A/G would call it a newly "re-manufactured" magazine if they really wanted to over extend application of the law. But WTF - I can't repair or improve my own legally possessed property... Shit with it deep is what I say now.

Last edited:
These threads always crack me up. Like Mike I'm way past the point of worrying about such trivial matters. I own all preban 20 and 30 rounders and not even one has a date stamp, so why should I worry about changing a spring, or follower? Seriously the ONLY time this could even become sticky is if you actually used the mag to shoot someone OR used it in a crime, in which case the provenance of the mag is the very last thing to worry about anyway! In the event you shoot someone in a legit self defense encounter (like a home invasion), the state will still have the burden to prove beyond the shadow of a doubt that the mag was not preban, and that's only if they decided to try to jack you up for something, so inmo the risk is 0.00 of the mag being a problem just because you upgraded a follower. Of course this is not legal advice, nor is anything anyone can say for certain in this thread. In the end it all comes down to your personal tolerance for risk...

What date stamp? With the exception of USGI AR mags (and even that's not 100%) very few pistol or rifle mags are actually date stamped.

-Mike

Well, my only exposure is to USGI pre-ban mags... I picked up one for real cheap last December (day before xmas) and then some more at reasonable rates during the panic. These are only 20 round mags. I wanted them for bench shooting and the price was right (couldn't get others, so why not, right?). Of course (as I mentioned) I live in a state where I don't need to worry about the age of my magazines.

This kind of crap is just more reason to not move to (or back to) a nanny state. I escaped from MA last year and have zero intention of ever moving back.

Anyone have a sure fire way to tell the difference between pre & post ban mags. Out of the 20 or so mags I have ,no date marks on ant of them.

..........................Jack

Anyone have a sure fire way to tell the difference between pre & post ban mags. Out of the 20 or so mags I have ,no date marks on ant of them.

Google = friend.

Floor plate markings = key.

Note = not "sure fire".

There are only two sure fire ways I know of. Find pre-94 mags stamped with a manufacturing date or buy mags manufactured by a company that went out of business prior to '94. Prior to '94 there really was no reason for companies to stamp a date on a mag body. If you insist on only buying mags with a pre-ban date stamp you're going to drastically limit your purchasing.

You should do whatever you are comfortable doing. Personally, I'm quite comfortable possessing and using my pre-ban standard capacity mags, none of which have date stamps.

Anyone have a sure fire way to tell the difference between pre & post ban mags. Out of the 20 or so mags I have ,no date marks on ant of them. ..........................Jack

If they're real .gov surplus mags, they often have date codes stamped inside. They can be hard to see if you don't look hard. All of my pre-ban mags are Colt surplus from the 70's and 80's, all are stamped internally.

If they're real .gov surplus mags, they often have date codes stamped inside. They can be hard to see if you don't look hard. All of my pre-ban mags are Colt surplus from the 70's and 80's, all are stamped internally.

Except my sources tell me that Colt never made any mags back then, they were all sub-contracted out. This might be why they have internal markings as a QC measure to ID who made them for Colt and when.

---------------------------

Also, everyone should go back and read post #10 (updated info), we are being watched very carefully! [shocked] [wink]

Except my sources tell me that Colt never made any mags back then, they were all sub-contracted out. This might be why they have internal markings as a QC measure to ID who made them for Colt and when. --------------------------- Also, everyone should go back and read post #10 (updated info), we are being watched very carefully! [shocked] [wink]

Yes, Center Industries made the bodies for Colt back then.

It's a repair part, no different than replacing the internals, barrel, stock, etc on a pre-ban firearm.

The one legal sticking point that's never been satisfactory answered is replacing damaged pre-ban mag bodies in this state.

You say it is a "sticking point", but can you cite any law, regulation or statute that gives the body any special status not afforded to other parts of the magazine?

The only precedent is federal - back in 1992-2004, the BATF ruled that replacement of damaged magazine bodies was completely acceptable, and allowed vendors to sell replacement tubes.

Back
Top Bottom