• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasons to put on LTC application?

I am meeting with the local PD on Thursday for my LTC application. The town is neither red nor green, but appears to be leaning red (they request five letters of recommendation and have an outsize number of restricted Class A's). When I spoke to the officer to schedule the appointment, he told me that I couldn't just put "All lawful purposes" as the reason for a LTC, I had to elaborate.

I've looked around on this site and figure I should just put "Hunting, target, personal protection" as my reasons. What would you recommend I put as my reasons?

Thanks,

Mike

All lawful purposes. ..! This is the only answer.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

With all due respect, the OP has been told that that's a no-go answer by the person that will approve (or not) the application.

OP: If you post the town, you may get a response that worked from another NESer that lives in your burg.

"Lawful ownership and carry of firearms, for numerous purposes." The danger of putting specifics, like Target, is that it might be picked out and used as a restriction.

as you said, they told you you couldn't use "all lawful purposes" try "personal protection "

edit: sorry i didn't see you suggested that already----don't bother with target, hunting, etc. just go with "pp"

and as MrHappy said, post the town---you will get some helpful info

Last edited:
I said, "for all lawful purposes including hunting, target shooting, collecting, and personal protection."

Town is south of Boston, begins with a B and ends with a Tree.

Thank you very much for all of your replies. I had been told by two people involved with my pistol class to just put "All lawful purposes", and then in my two minute call with the town license officer he shot that down (unsolicitedly [I made up that word]). I don't want to get into an argument about how I might need a .380 to shoot a bear while out walking my dog. I'm just guessing that the town is interested in restricting people, certainly with the first application. I looked at the stats for the town and it was about 500 unrestricted Class A's and 60 restricted. That doesn't sound too bad but that looks like a bad ratio for suburban towns, and I think it used to be a "green" town.

Mike

Personally I would wait until the first of the year to apply. Given that any restriction being imposed has to be put into writing as to why you received such restriction I anticipate that there will be a large lawsuit soon after LTC's with restrictions start getting issued in the new year. If you are a person with no negative history, would make a good complainant in such a suit, I would wait and see if they issue you with restrictions. If they do I would then call Comm2A.

Wait. The end of the year is so close why start a hassle? Besides, it probably won't get issued until next year anyway. Then THEY have to come up with an excuse, in writing as to why you are restricted.

Just write this down..it's a right affirmed by the 2nd amendment and a god given right to protect myself. Then say this: Oh, yeah you have 40 days.

Personally I would wait until the first of the year to apply. Given that any restriction being imposed has to be put into writing as to why you received such restriction I anticipate that there will be a large lawsuit soon after LTC's with restrictions start getting issued in the new year. If you are a person with no negative history, would make a good complainant in such a suit, I would wait and see if they issue you with restrictions. If they do I would then call Comm2A.

In a case like this, waiting until January 1st is better leveraged to challenged the reference letter requirement. The only thing that changes on January 1st with respect to restrictions is that now you have an statutory right of appeal. I'm not sure that by itself it's going to make much of a difference.

I wasn't even given the opportunity to give a reason in my town, but the instructor of my safety class told us the segment: "I am requesting a non-restricted firearms license for all lawful purposes, Inside and outside of my home". Granted it uses the dreaded ALP that we know rarely goes over well, but the inclusion of inside and outside of the home I feel makes it so they can't just stick you with Target & Hunting and argue that it still allows for personal protection...just as long as you don't leave your house.

Last edited:
All lawful purposes.

The more your right the more than can infer or predict. Which is bad since it's usually in a pessimistic manner.

I.E. You want a gun to defend yourself. They could look at that as paranoia. I know it's not likely, but if they're anti-gun any excuse will work.

Back
Top Bottom