• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasonable 9mm pistol accuracy

Edit:
I’d suggest starting at 7 yards, get your shots repeatable, then slowly move the stand back 3yds at a time and work slow.
The edit, all day any day. If you can't punch a single hole at 5 yards, you're not going to punch a 1 inch group at 10 yards. With a short pistol, the inconsistencies multiply.

The 19 is capable of 4 inches at 25, but that's the inherent accuracy of the platform. Look up what Glock says the accuracy of the pistol is (pretty sure it's in the 5 inch range). So if you are dead nuts centered, anything inside that accuracy cone is pure luck if you stack the holes.

The one thing you really need to beat into your mind is the distance doesn't matter. Period. Until you get out to 50 yards with a pistol, maybe. There is no fundamental difference between 10 yards and 25 yards. There's no hold, there's no Kentucky windage, there's maybe in inch or two for ballistic arc between the 2 distances. People freak out at the 25/50 yard line, it's more of a mind game than anything else. Read the first sentence again, and get to it.
I was taught an average self defense situation happens between 3-5 feet. If you are shooting at someone that is more tha. 25 feet away, you may be committing murder
"Average" being the operative word. Throw in one contact shot and the average is shifted closer than reality. 25 feet is 5 yards. That's way inside my front door from where I'm sitting right now banging away on a keyboard.
Who the hell is shooting 6” at 50 yards with a 4” pistol??
It's possible, but I've been shooting handguns for over 20 years now, with constant training. I had a run of shooting crazy round counts daily. I warmed up at 25 yards and moved to 50 to work on stuff with a 4.5 inch gun. I know I can't do it today, but when I was instructing? Sure, maybe, if the wind didn't change. It would almost be consistent ammo more than anything else. You're maxing the potential of the firearm.
90% is all on you. The gun is the other 10%
Yup.

I can consistently hit 4” steel plates at 25 yards with a g19.5 if I take my time to aim, so it’s definitely doable. I can also hit 8” plates at 50 and 75 yards with a cajunized P-01 maybe 75% of the time, but can’t hit shit with my Glock at those distances. It’s the trigger.

I’m also a fairly new shooter (started this June). But I cheat… I use optics.
Take some advice, it ain't the trigger.

General question as I'm trying to improve accuracy: I have the goal/expectation of consistently shooting 4" groups at 25 yards, with a stock 2” derringer 410 guage. Shooting offhand, standing.

I've read different things about expectations, one being that a "good" shooter should be able to get 6" groups at 50 yards.

So is 16 MOA a reasonable goal, or unrealistic?

Guys guys you need to read the original post. 🙃 see above

25 yards? Most confrontation happen with in 3 to 4 feet if you are intrestented in personal protection I would concentrate on point and shoot. If you are looking at pistol compition work on basic skills, grip, stance, breathing and sight alignment. All modern guns are built to accuracy.

I was taught an average self defense situation happens between 3-5 feet. If you are shooting at someone that is more tha. 25 feet away, you may be committing murder

^irrelevant

25 yards? Most confrontation happen with in 3 to 4 feet if you are intrestented in personal protection I would concentrate on point and shoot. If you are looking at pistol compition work on basic skills, grip, stance, breathing and sight alignment. All modern guns are built to accuracy.
Again... ^irrelevant to OP

Speed at distance shows flaws in the fundamentals.

Last edited:
The edit, all day any day. If you can't punch a single hole at 5 yards, you're not going to punch a 1 inch group at 10 yards. With a short pistol, the inconsistencies multiply.

The 19 is capable of 4 inches at 25, but that's the inherent accuracy of the platform. Look up what Glock says the accuracy of the pistol is (pretty sure it's in the 5 inch range). So if you are dead nuts centered, anything inside that accuracy cone is pure luck if you stack the holes.

The one thing you really need to beat into your mind is the distance doesn't matter. Period. Until you get out to 50 yards with a pistol, maybe. There is no fundamental difference between 10 yards and 25 yards. There's no hold, there's no Kentucky windage, there's maybe in inch or two for ballistic arc between the 2 distances. People freak out at the 25/50 yard line, it's more of a mind game than anything else. Read the first sentence again, and get to it.

"Average" being the operative word. Throw in one contact shot and the average is shifted closer than reality. 25 feet is 5 yards. That's way inside my front door from where I'm sitting right now banging away on a keyboard.

It's possible, but I've been shooting handguns for over 20 years now, with constant training. I had a run of shooting crazy round counts daily. I warmed up at 25 yards and moved to 50 to work on stuff with a 4.5 inch gun. I know I can't do it today, but when I was instructing? Sure, maybe, if the wind didn't change. It would almost be consistent ammo more than anything else. You're maxing the potential of the firearm.

Yup.
The only accuracy standard glock cares about is what ever the average military requirements are for recruits to pass….

Back
Top Bottom