• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reasonable 9mm pistol accuracy

General question as I'm trying to improve accuracy: I have the goal/expectation of consistently shooting 4" groups at 25 yards, with a stock Glock 19 Gen 5 or Sig P226 (no trigger mods, etc) and a Trijicon 3.25 MOA red dot. Shooting offhand, standing.

I've read different things about expectations, one being that a "good" shooter should be able to get 6" groups at 50 yards.

So is 16 MOA a reasonable goal, or unrealistic?

Go green

But absolutely reasonable. Just need to practice, since both of your options are under 5” you’ll inherently have a bit more spread to start.
I prefer 124 gr generally.

But if you work your fundamentals you’ll get there.

Edit:
I’d suggest starting at 7 yards, get your shots repeatable, then slowly move the stand back 3yds at a time and work slow.

General question as I'm trying to improve accuracy: I have the goal/expectation of consistently shooting 4" groups at 25 yards, with a stock Glock 19 Gen 5 or Sig P226 (no trigger mods, etc) and a Trijicon 3.25 MOA red dot. Shooting offhand, standing.

I've read different things about expectations, one being that a "good" shooter should be able to get 6" groups at 50 yards.

Yes, it just requires practice, and not letting too much time pass between training.

As others have said, reasonable expectations. Just don’t necessarily expect it with cheapo plinking ammo.

You can practice with the B8 target.

Ammo is critical to accuracy. I have been breaking in a pair of Ruger EC9s I just bought about 3 weeks apart. The first one I was shooting the remainder of a case of
Sellier & Bellot 115gn 9mm and was getting cloverleafs at 21 feet with it. The second EC9s That I bought 2 days ago got 5 magazines of the S&B and was nearly as tight.

Then I ran out of the S&B and started on a new case of Federal Red Box 115gn 9mm. First in the one I had just fired the last of my S&B through and these shots were landing wild and all strung out. Like a 6-inch spread. Puzzled, I loaded up a mag for the older pistol. Same crap accuracy. All over the 8.5x11 target sheet.

Moral of the story?

Try a shitload of brands, weights, powders as you can. Take notes on the ones you get good results with and stock up on the one that fits your needs best.

~Enbloc

Absolutely love the Ruger EC9s... 😍 Even better than my Glocks. 🤔

I have the goal/expectation of consistently shooting 4" groups at 25 yards, with a stock Glock 19 Gen 5 or Sig P226
with a stock trigger it is doable but difficult.
if you are into precision pistol shooting - the 22lr is your friend - ruger - volquartsen - pardini - other olympic sport pistols, whatever your poison of choice is.

Years back when I was testing duty ammo out of my department Gen5 g19s, I was able to get best accuracy from Gold Dot 147gr standard pressure. I was holding 12 to 13” groups from bench with 3moa dot at 100 yards.

I was taught an average self defense situation happens between 3-5 feet. If you are shooting at someone that is more tha. 25 feet away, you may be committing murder
Did the op say anything about needing that accuracy for defense? People shoot handguns for reasons other that "putting holes in perps" at 3 to 5 feet.

I wonder how many responses like this to accuracy at distance questions come from people who can't shoot for shit and they are just trying to justify how much they suck.

Did the op say anything about needing that accuracy for defense? People shoot handguns for reasons other that "putting holes in perps" at 3 to 5 feet.

I wonder how many responses like this to accuracy at distance questions come from people who can't shoot for shit and they are just trying to justify how much they suck.
I should be able to like and laugh at this!

Years back when I was testing duty ammo out of my department Gen5 g19s, I was able to get best accuracy from Gold Dot 147gr standard pressure. I was holding 12 to 13” groups from bench with 3moa dot at 100 yards.
Yeah, big fan of 147 for the further stuff. I find subsonic pistol ammo is critical when trying to push it further out to 50+ yards so you don’t need to worry about transonic destabilization.

Thank you all for the responses.

I'll definitely try some different cartridges as I've been shooting mostly bulk white box ammo. And agree that (frequent) practice is essential.

Yeah, big fan of 147 for the further stuff. I find subsonic pistol ammo is critical when trying to push it further out to 50+ yards so you don’t need to worry about transonic destabilization.

That’s way deeper than I was actually thinking lol. I was just like… trying out different shit. I just learned a lot from your post and a bit of googling. Ty

Keep your eyes open, And aim with your shoulders. Don’t pull the trigger, squeeze it.
It’ll be eight dollars #ElonMusk8Dollars

What’s that have to do with the op’s question of possible accuracy?
Isn’t that what guns are for? I guess I assumed his desire for accuracy was self defense related. Asking about 6 inch groups at 50 yards struck me as a new shooter question, so I was trying to keep things in perspective for him.

OP: I’ve found that all of my guns are more accurate than I am, instead of putting gay red dots and stuff on your gun, just focus on fundamentals at a range you are comfortable at. Slowly move it out until you are happy.

OP didn’t say anything About it NOT being self defense related either. He didn’t mention what his shooting practice was for.

I can hit a man sized target at 100 yards with 10 out of 15 rounds usually. Not getting any groups, but it goes ping. Nothing to brag about, but I can shoot well enough that I’m happy with the results.

Nobody I know is getting 6 inch groups at 50 yards and I think that’s an unrealistic goal for a new shooter to be worried about.

The same guy on this forum that claims he was hitting paper plates at 300 yards all day long, freehand, with any service rifle made after 1890 with iron sights and factory ammo.
I wouldn't say any service rifle, but a well put together DCM (now CMP) Garand with decent ammo, back when I was 30, ya that's very doable.

More recently at the CMP Marksmanship center with a couple Garands and 1903s, 4-6" groups at 200yrds, but now thats on the bench. Getting older sucks.

You'd probably just call me a lier if I told you what I was shooting when I was 15 [smile]

Nobody I know is getting 6 inch groups at 50 yards and I think that’s an unrealistic goal for a new shooter to be worried about.
Not if they are target shooting, when I was new the goal for anyone in the group was 5 rounds touching at 25' (22LR standard), pistol.

Hell, I'd be happy with a six inch group at 10 yards. I suck and thats all there is to it. (but I still have fun)😝
That's what's important. Age may have taken the edge off my skills but I have fun. Also found it easier with an SBR at short range. And when you're done with accuracy games you can dump a couple mags (with the suppression of course)

Back
Top Bottom