• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reason for a snub nose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking about getting a revolver and was looking at a few models.
Noticed how the snub nosed guns were cheaper.
Is there any reason to get a snub nose aside from price or should i go with a longer barrel?

The obvious reasons are size and concealability. There is a sacrifice of accuracy with the shorter barrel but it isn't designed for target shooting or long range shots.

What they said. I found myself carrying more often with the most convenient and comfortable setup. If I was running out of the house, I didn't feel like belting up with an IWB/1911 just to run down to the store, but it takes two seconds to toss a J frame into a pocket holster and slip it in my jacket, so I found myself carrying small revolvers often, with various methods. They offer great concealability, light weight and comfort. If I delivered pizzas in Harlem I might want a G17 with three spare mags, but my day to day and places I frequent are pretty low risk. I know bad stuff can happen anywhere, however Id take a WAG that most self defense scenarios take place at a distance of less than 10ft with no more than 3 shots fired and is over in a matter of seconds, and for that, a small revolver fits the bill. Besides, any gun on you is better than the three you left at the house.

A snubnose is the gun I carry when I don't want to carry or can't carry (e.g. at work). Hard to beat 14oz in a pocket.

I have a few and bring them to the pistol range all the time. They are fun to shoot and accurate at distances they are designed for and easy to conceal.

For me, the only reason for a snubbie is pocket carry. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, than I will carry something with a longer grip and a longer barrel that I can shoot more accurately.

For me, the only reason for a snubbie is pocket carry. If I'm going to carry in a belt holster, than I will carry something with a longer grip and a longer barrel that I can shoot more accurately.

Same here. A snub i.e. Is my go to for putzing around town. I'm usually too lazy to bother strapping on a holster, so I just throw the snub in my pocket.

I also live in a virtually crime free area. If I am going somewhere questionable, I carry a bigger gun.

This. If I'm tucking my shirt in (again, at work), I'll pocket carry the snub. Otherwise, bigger gun on the belt.

And, to be honest, my snubbie sits in the safe when I pocket carry -- I use my Kahr PM9 instead. I shoot the PM9 better than my snubbie, it is faster to reload, and has higher capacity. YMMV.

I have a J frame (640) I carry in a Mitch Rosen pocket holster. This is very easy to conceal, and I don't have to worry about it being exposed, particularly if I bend over. Tactically, I can have my hand on the gun ready to draw without disclosing "gun" (particularly important in the climate of this state), and I could have the gun out and pointed before a n'ed do well realized I wasn't reaching into my pocket for money.

One of the guys on this forum who I respect as a shooter as much as anyone only carries snubbies. If you're good with it it's going to get you out of almost any situation just as well as a semi will.

All of the reasons given above are valid. I carry one as a primary when dressing light, and as a backup when I can.

If you really want to perfect your shooting ability with a revolver, a snubbie will offer you a significant challenge. The light weight combined with the short sight radius makes you realize just how good you are, or how much more practice you need!! Put a clay bird on the 25 yard berm at your club and have a go at it. When you get good at it, it impresses shooters watching you, and makes you a better shot to boot.

Get one. I have a few of them and full size revolvers as well. I shoot the snubbies about 2x as much as the full size. And I don't have to chase the brass.

I carry my j frame daily. I prefer my shield and definitely shoot better with it, but dang it if the snubbie doesn't conceal better.

Because they are easier to throw at your assailant after you miss.

Kidding aside, I highly recommend trying before buying. I can win a bullseye competition with a 6" revolver but always shoot snubbies like hell, at least not to my satisfaction. If I have to stand that close, why not a rock... Another post mentions shooting much better with a compact semi as well.

Concealability.

This and so you can impersonate Dirty Harry's obese inspector sidekick. I think this guy appeared in the original Dirty Harry and they made a joke about him not being able to jump a fence.

Edit: Yup, too much linguine...

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Dirty_Harry

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Magnum_Force#Colt_Detective_Special

DH2ColtDS-3.jpg

Last edited:
1. Every collection should have a revolver.
2. Reliable.
3. Affordable.
4. Easy to conceal
5. The list I am sure goes on and on.

I will always keep my Airweight

And, to be honest, my snubbie sits in the safe when I pocket carry -- I use my Kahr PM9 instead. I shoot the PM9 better than my snubbie, it is faster to reload, and has higher capacity. YMMV.

Agreed, easier to reload when removing from in car lock box

So I was thinking about getting a revolver and was looking at a few models.
Noticed how the snub nosed guns were cheaper.
Is there any reason to get a snub nose aside from price or should i go with a longer barrel?

If you're not going to carry it, get something heavier with a longer barrel.

Lightweight guns are much harder on the little bones and soft tissue in your hand and wrist, because there's no mass to absorb the recoil.

I'd say the *only* reason to get a snubnose is because you intend to carry it a lot.

If you want something to shoot at the range, get a steel framed 4-6" barrel revolver: Better sights, longer sight radius, more fun to shoot.

If you're not going to carry it, get something heavier with a longer barrel.

Lightweight guns are much harder on the little bones and soft tissue in your hand and wrist, because there's no mass to absorb the recoil.

I'd say the *only* reason to get a snubnose is because you intend to carry it a lot.

If you want something to shoot at the range, get a steel framed 4-6" barrel revolver: Better sights, longer sight radius, more fun to shoot.

Looks like there are definite good points to them I just may get one.

Concealability and ease of use with draw backs of low round count and, if not using speed clips, bulky reloads.

There are those that carry revolvers due to decreased use of a hand or arm. I found out the hard way.

When I had a severe bicep rupture which resulted in nerve damage and limited range of motion I went to my old snub nose in the left hand pocket. I was happy to have it, know that I was already familiar with it, and could hit well enough that i was not carrying in vain.

Carrying left handed had me looking in to left handed revolvers and the added cost in new revolvers and holsters ruled that out. Not a settled outcome and another unexpected surgery soon.

Snubbies certainly have their place for certain people and circumstances.

Last edited:

I have always wanted a snubbie, but this is the real reason I don't have one. One of these days I will buy the cheaper, less safe version of the PM9 for lazy summer carry.

Everyone else has done a nice job talking about the pros and cons of snubbies. The only thing I want to add is to not get one of the lightweight 357's, or if you do don't shoot hot 357 out of it. They are beyond vicious.

One of these days I will buy the cheaper, less safe version of the PM9 for lazy summer carry.
Mine is a free state version, without the stupid safety.

Everyone else has done a nice job talking about the pros and cons of snubbies. The only thing I want to add is to not get one of the lightweight 357's, or if you do don't shoot hot 357 out of it. They are beyond vicious.
Agreed.

I have an aluminum-framed 642. That is .38 Spcl +P. It weighs about 16 oz. And it is a nasty little bugger. Not fun at all to shoot with the factory grip. You can put a bigger, softer grip on it, but then you can't fit it in your pocket.

No way I would by one of the Scandium .357 Mag J-frames. They cost several hundred more and I don't want the pain.

If you do get a revolver, budget some $ for a trigger job. Greg Derr did a very nice trigger job on my Model 19.

Last edited:

I like mine fine, but it's definitely a love it or hate it gun. It just disappears into a pocket even in the summer though - perfect for t-shirt & shorts weather.
Try someone else's if you like recoil. A little patience usually will turn up a deal from someone who didn't try one first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom