Reason #8,693 why I hate living in a condo

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My wife was sitting in the living room this afternoon and one of the neighbors came tapping at the door. This woman says "uhm, one of the other neighbors and I couldn't help but notice that the tree beside your driveway is in bad shape. We talked to the condo board and brought in an arborist. The arborist said it needs more water. Can you soak it twice a week for 20 minutes?"

My wife was polite, but explained that she is 9 months pregnant and there is zero chance of her watering the tree twice a week.

She told me about this when I got home and added that she was very glad that I wasn't the one to answer the door when she showed up. I'd have told her to go **** herself. I can't wait until we can move!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I would be all like....

"Hey Gladys, get lost!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
News alert! news alert! most people are a-holes that can't mind their own business....nothing new here.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
News alert! news alert! most people are a-holes that can't mind their own business....nothing new here.
Problem is that condo associations often gives these *******s an unusual amount of power.

-Mike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Problem is that condo associations often gives these *******s an unusual amount of power.

-Mike
Exactly. Ours is overrun with idiots who have no real power in their lives, so they get off on ****ing with other people.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The condo/HOA I live in is actually really low key. The HOA fee just got raised to $180, which is low for the most part. The only thing they don't allow are fences really.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
LOL, that would have gone down the same way at my house- wife would have been quite glad that I wasn't the one to answer the door.

Haven't shared a wall since 1992, and next door neighbors in our two unit townhouse were awesome but the landlord was a PITA. Never again.

sbi

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My wife was sitting in the living room this afternoon and one of the neighbors came tapping at the door. This woman says "uhm, one of the other neighbors and I couldn't help but notice that the tree beside your driveway is in bad shape. We talked to the condo board and brought in an arborist. The arborist said it needs more water. Can you soak it twice a week for 20 minutes?"

My wife was polite, but explained that she is 9 months pregnant and there is zero chance of her watering the tree twice a week.

She told me about this when I got home and added that she was very glad that I wasn't the one to answer the door when she showed up. I'd have told her to go **** herself. I can't wait until we can move!

Question for you: do these two neighbors need to get out of the house to see the tree, or is the tree in line of sight from their home/window?
If the latter, I would wait outside until you see them pick through the window, then walk to the tree and water it with your Johnson. Daily, not twice a week. They won't bother you again.

- - - Updated - - -

I would have proceeded to said tree and urinated all over it.

I lived in a condo for 16 months. Never again.
Dan you, beat me by a minute [smile], but you failed to mention "in front of said ladies".

Rookie82

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You're a stronger man than I for living in a condo and dealing with all the BS that comes with it.. there's no way I could deal with all that crap and not snap...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what really sucks is that for a first time home buyer like myself condo's are really the only affordable option for something within a commutable distance to where I work. Singe family home prices are just ridiculously pricey right now...Guess I"ll keep renting.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Number one reason for not buying any condo is called Condo Docs. Yet, nobody reads them before they buy.
Or they actually do read them and the people with too much time on their hands keep adding new minutia to them. The latest addition was prohibited breeds of dogs, even though all the breeds listed are already over the existing weight limit.

cbrxx

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Isn't the condo responsible for landscaping? If so let them water it. If it's care is your job, cut it down to spite them. It's an unhealthy and unsafe tree. Bonus, it wont be dropping crap on your car.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or they actually do read them and the people with too much time on their hands keep adding new minutia to them. The latest addition was prohibited breeds of dogs, even though all the breeds listed are already over the existing weight limit.
Well, condos are lifetime opportunities for little Napoleons to exercise their powers without any danger of Elba.

They can't keep adding without MAJORITY voting for it first. If they are just adding without voting, you can have a lawyer to look over their dictatorship.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what really sucks is that for a first time home buyer like myself condo's are really the only affordable option for something within a commutable distance to where I work. Singe family home prices are just ridiculously pricey right now...Guess I"ll keep renting.
Buy a triple decker in Fall River or New Bedford. There's a good amount of foreclosures there and you can have a scenic view of the Power Plant. Besides, you can get all the chourisco you need from your neighbors... Did I say chourisco? I meant heroin...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First- I wish the best best to you and your wife on your impending special miracle! How blessed! I hope she has a safe delivery and that your baby will be healthy.

Now, as for nosey neighbors, please don't get me started. I do not live in a condo, but have 'busy peepers' peeking over the fence and out their windows (sigh).

Now, I can't top the above 'self watering' recommendations; but my male GSD that loves to water- I can bring him for a tree inspection visit. Lol.

Perhaps something that may help with the hydration requirement for the tree (satisfy the busy-bodies, and preserve the integrity of the tree) is hydretain. IANALandscaper, but play one at my home. The product reportedly has been used on professional golf courses and the like to maintain the turf through periods of drought. I have seen it at several Mahoney's locations; maybe adding it to a drenching will minimize the frequency and requirements of the tree and keep the squawkers from creating issues with your condo association.

I wrote the company, as I was concerned about safety around my pups and wildlife- this was their reply:
We appreciate your interest in Hydretain and your question regarding safety. Though Hydretain is not certified organic, it is primarily made with food grade, organic-based ingredients. Our retail product is the same formulation as the commercial Hydretain ES Plus, which has been certified as 93% biobased by the United States Department of Agriculture BioPreferred Program. The product is safe to use around children and pets. It is also safe for use on fruit, vegetable and herb gardens as well as citrus trees. ........
www.hydretain.com
Good luck and have a safe, blessed, and wonderful holiday weekend!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, condos are lifetime opportunities for little Napoleons to exercise their powers without any danger of Elba.

They can't keep adding without MAJORITY voting for it first. If they are just adding without voting, you can have a lawyer to look over their dictatorship.
This condo association is screwed. It's sewn up by a bunch of cronies.

Kicker96FS

NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have been in a condo for 8 years now, I like it, I can understand that if the other unit owners around you are busybodies and like to watch their neighbors then run to the HOA board when they see some infraction, yeah, that could be a pain. I also understand that if the people that do live right around me move and some arse-hole moves in that my opinion may change but as for now, I only have one boarder line widowed old lady that can be a nuisance once in awhile but I give her my crazy stare and things go back to normal.

This tree is in the "common area" I would assume and therefore the responsibility of the condo assoc.. unless you live in one of those places that you have to mow the lawn and clean your own driveway, etc. In that case I would let it die and cut it down just to spite the idiots.

I think that telling them to water it if they are so worried about would be the right course of action, or light it on fire in the middle of the night, or run it over with the car if it's not too big, you get the idea.

The best way to handle problems like this is to get on the board yourself then you can take such matters under advisement!

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This condo association is screwed. It's sewn up by a bunch of cronies.

Even better. I would have fun with them. There are MASS Rules for condos. If you want to have fun with them, just review these requirements and compare them with what they got for you. I would never miss the golden opportunity for a nice financial settlement.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been in a condo for 8 years now, I like it, I can understand that if the other unit owners around you are busybodies and like to watch their neighbors then run to the HOA board when they see some infraction, yeah, that could be a pain. I also understand that if the people that do live right around me move and some arse-hole moves in that my opinion may change but as for now, I only have one boarder line widowed old lady that can be a nuisance once in awhile but I give her my crazy stare and things go back to normal.

This tree is in the "common area" I would assume and therefore the responsibility of the condo assoc.. unless you live in one of those places that you have to mow the lawn and clean your own driveway, etc. In that case I would let it die and cut it down just to spite the idiots.

I think that telling them to water it if they are so worried about would be the right course of action, or light it on fire in the middle of the night, or run it over with the car if it's not too big, you get the idea.

The best way to handle problems like this is to get on the board yourself then you can take such matters under advisement!
This advice makes more sense than indecent exposure.

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Isn't the condo responsible for landscaping? If so let them water it. If it's care is your job, cut it down to spite them. It's an unhealthy and unsafe tree. Bonus, it wont be dropping crap on your car.
That's the thing with mine that's so preferred. They are only responsible for common area landscaping, plowing snow, and trash. That's it. I do my own landscaping on my property.

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel for you .
When I was young and impressionable people talked me into buying a condo.
Great investment , Double your money, Derpity, Derp.
I would rather drag my nuts through broken glass than EVER do that again.
I discovered I'm not built for communal living and some of my neighbors discovered the wisdom of minding ones own business.

One granola eating fruitnut and his hairy pitted and legged wife approached me one day and told me they didn't think they approved of me having my work truck parked there because there were "Chemicals" in it.
I was smiling when I told them "Well, if I gave a f*ck what you thought, that would mean something."

je25ff

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My opinion is, find an HOA that has a low monthly fee (this would mean, to me, that you are left to your own devices), read the forms, and speak to a few neighbors. Hell, I am putting in 20 yards of fill or so in my backyard and got the OK easily.

They did had an arborist come around and tag some trees. My elderly neighbor took them down, lol. She likes trees. The huge pine in my backyard was ribboned, too. I made it clear I had NO objection to them taking it down.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The tree is beside our driveway. The condo association is responsible for taking care of all landscaping. If the stupid thing needs water, they can get one of the gang of landscapers who come around every week to take care of it. The amount of money that goes out every year for landscaping is staggering. The guy who owns the company that does the landscaping is buddies with the property manager.

10thSFFD

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know where you live but renting is not an option. Man up and start making money with carefully selected investment. Even in condo markets there are $$$ to be made. Brand new condo purchased 3 years ago in Tewksbury, MA, sold $100K over the original price last month. I am not a real estate agent but PM me if you have any questions. I may have good ideas. I keep making nice profit on real estate.

Top Bottom