• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

really? start with a 22?

Couple of things to decide on the first gun. Do I need it right now for self defense or do I need it for practice?

I needed one for personal protection immediately so my first gun was a .38 snubbie, for carry and home. Got some ammo, practiced, and carried. Not the easiest to shoot but it ain't that hard to master.

The .22 came later as a fun gun. Cheap to shoot and practice with. Of course there were others in between but the way I see it, take care of business first. The fun gun is second. Jus' sayin'.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Get something you can use to kill a bad guy if you need to first, then you can get a .22 later for training and fun purposes. If you've got enough money to get both at once, then that's good, but most don't.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Get something you can use to kill a bad guy if you need to first, then you can get a .22 later for training and fun purposes. If you've got enough money to get both at once, then that's good, but most don't.

If I could only afford one gun it would not be a .22 If you want a 9mm you can look at a glock or sig. When you save a few bucks get a 22 conversion so you can train with the same manual of arms. Also, if your In Ma these guns have plenty of preban mags around.

http://www.glockworld.com/category/1718_22_LR_Conversion_Kits.aspx

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Sig_22_conversion.html

....Starting with a S&W500 might be a bad idea, but more power to you if you go that route.
yeah now that I think about it a 50 would be where I'll start lol awesome if anybody has done that.

Thanks for the responses and advice from everyone! It seems I'll get the 22. I don't want to spend to much money (at least try not to) and I am new to shooting so seems right. Also I'm in no rush to CC or anything so I'll take my time and learn the basics with the 22, probably the ruger.

Well of course you physically CAN shoot a 9mm, but can you shoot it WELL? Can you shoot it for an extended period of time? Can you afford to shoot it as much as you want/should?

There is this ingrained "bigger is better" belief that's especially prevalent among new shooters, that leads them to believe that a gun isn't worth shooting unless it makes a big BANG.

But learning to shoot a .22 is a wise investment in the future, for all the reasons listed here.
  • You're more likely to be able to learn to shoot correctly.
  • You're less likely to develop bad habits.
  • You're less likely to become fatigued while shooting for extended periods of time.
  • You're going to spend, literally, 10x less on ammo, which means you'll be able to shoot 10x more.

You'll find the majority of people who actually know how to shoot spend the majority of their trigger time behind a .22.

If your intentions are just to go to the range on the weekend, make a ton of noise with your buddies, and blow the shit out of targets you imagine are your boss or exgirlfriend, then yes, go get a big centerfire pistol. Get a .500. Go crazy.

Of course, you'll want to buy a full sized pistol if you intend on having one available for defensive purposes, but this shouldn't be your primary training gun. If you want to learn to become a competent, or even skilled marksman, learn to shoot a .22.

THIS. +10000000

This. My Marlin Model 60 .22LR rifle is still my favorite range gun

I have a 40 year old Marlin 60. Had Dave Santurri tune it up and now it eats everything I shove into it and is super accurate.

I had the same dilemma when I first started up shooting again last year. .22 or something bigger. I could not find a Ruger MkII or III in any kind of affordable price range and I was worried I would get bored very quickly with a 22. I ended up getting a Beretta 92FS 9mm and I thought it was a great first pistol. The ammo is cheap (cheaper now that I reload) and the recoil is light. I still haven't gotten a .22 but my eyes keep getting drawn to them when I am in a shop (course I already got a 1911, .40, .38 etc..).

I don't mean to argue with the idea that .22 is great for training because its cheap, not much recoil, etc.

However....fatigue? Really? I am a pretty new shooter and I can shoot 9 all day long. .357 mag, .44mag, .45....with those fatigue can definitely be a real issue. The one time I shot .44 mag I was ready to stop before I even got through the box. .357 I can usually go through 100 rds but after that it gets a little grating.

I say get a 9. It's going to be an effective self defense caliber, it will be more fun to shoot than .22 (IMHO), the ammo is as cheap as you're going to get in an effective caliber, etc. It won't be as cheap to run as a .22, but it will be a good all around gun. Good for protection, cheap enough to shoot, satisfying enough to shoot, etc.

Just my 2 cents. I am certainly no expert. I guess I just don't understand telling all new shooters to go with a .22. It's good advice if the person is really timid but outside of that a 9 isn't going to be a big deal to get used to.

Last edited:
How about you buy a pistol that will do both.... 1911s come in 45, 38super, 9mm, and you can get an upper assembly which shoots 22!!! You spend a little more up front, but then you have small and large caliber. This also lets you get good trigger feel of one gun. Live in a free state? CZ 75B is also available with multiple caliber capability, including 40 cal.

Buy an AK first. That way you'll get everyone up your butt about how dumb you are for doing that.

But then you realize that you're such a hardass that you don't give a *(#@ what pussies tell you is right or wrong because you're freak'n awesome.

This.

It's what everyone starts with on at least 3 out of 6 inhabited continents.

500 S&W

GO BIG OR GO HOME

or...

thunder50tripleactionllcloganut.jpg

My first HG was a S&W M&P 9mm. I then bought a BG380 for carry. When I wanted a rifle and a scope just to play with I went with the Ruger 10/22 Target and put a leupold scope on it. I love playing with that and I buy bulk ammo so my per trigger pull is $.o3. I recently read that S&W will be coming out with an M&P 22. If thats the case I would probably buy one.

I don't mean to argue with the idea that .22 is great for training because its cheap, not much recoil, etc.

However....fatigue? Really? I am a pretty new shooter and I can shoot 9 all day long. .357 mag, .44mag, .45....with those fatigue can definitely be a real issue. The one time I shot .44 mag I was ready to stop before I even got through the box. .357 I can usually go through 100 rds but after that it gets a little grating.

I say get a 9. It's going to be an effective self defense caliber, it will be more fun to shoot than .22 (IMHO), the ammo is as cheap as you're going to get in an effective caliber, etc. It won't be as cheap to run as a .22, but it will be a good all around gun. Good for protection, cheap enough to shoot, satisfying enough to shoot, etc.

Just my 2 cents. I am certainly no expert. I guess I just don't understand telling all new shooters to go with a .22. It's good advice if the person is really timid but outside of that a 9 isn't going to be a big deal to get used to.

9mm would be the defensive caliber I'd recommend for a first gun precisely because it is comparatively easy to shoot well with. But yes, even with 9mm you'll get tired faster than with a .22 on average (YMMV). Timidity isn't the reason I am so gung-ho on .22s. It's simply that a good .22 will allow you to master the basics easier and is less likely to get you into developing bad habits that must later be unlearned/corrected. And cost is definitely a factor.

I got my license and I wanted my first gun to be something I could defend myself with, so I did NOT buy a .22 for my first gun. I figured if I learned how to shoot on a snappy .40 I'd be able to shoot anything fairly well, and I was right.

More important than the gun you choose is the training you should get.

That being said, I thing a Glock 19 is a great first handgun. You can do just about anything with it (except hunt bear), and 9mm is still pretty cheap to feed.

Since my misery loves company, for a first pistol, I would have you get a .357 Snub-nose S&W revolver. You will save a great deal of money on targets (since you won't hit them) and ammo (since after five .357 rounds you will have ground meat for palms and want to go home).

(Now that I am way smarter, I never go to the club without my 1911, albeit with a Ceiner .22 LR conversion kit on it. I get all the 1911 flavor crystal goodness, with .22 LR price points. )

/ écrou à ailettes

Since my misery loves company, for a first pistol, I would have you get a .357 Snub-nose S&W revolver. You will save a great deal of money on targets (since you won't hit them) and ammo (since after five .357 rounds you will have ground meat for palms and want to go home).

[laugh2] Hilarious!

Well of course you physically CAN shoot a 9mm, but can you shoot it WELL? Can you shoot it for an extended period of time? Can you afford to shoot it as much as you want/should?

There is this ingrained "bigger is better" belief that's especially prevalent among new shooters, that leads them to believe that a gun isn't worth shooting unless it makes a big BANG.

But learning to shoot a .22 is a wise investment in the future, for all the reasons listed here.
  • You're more likely to be able to learn to shoot correctly.
  • You're less likely to develop bad habits.
  • You're less likely to become fatigued while shooting for extended periods of time.
  • You're going to spend, literally, 10x less on ammo, which means you'll be able to shoot 10x more.

You'll find the majority of people who actually know how to shoot spend the majority of their trigger time behind a .22.

If your intentions are just to go to the range on the weekend, make a ton of noise with your buddies, and blow the shit out of targets you imagine are your boss or exgirlfriend, then yes, go get a big centerfire pistol. Get a .500. Go crazy.

Of course, you'll want to buy a full sized pistol if you intend on having one available for defensive purposes, but this shouldn't be your primary training gun. If you want to learn to become a competent, or even skilled marksman, learn to shoot a .22.

THIS ^...is sound advice! After reading the above, someone new to shooting should be able to make a decision, based on this post,

That's retarded, dude. It's like telling someone to learn how to ride a tricycle because it'll make it easier to ride a bicycle later. There's no comparison.

An adult who intends to carry or field a firearm should "learn" to shoot on a bigger caliber, - both pistol & rifle-, find out what bad habits you're prone to, and have an instructor there to point them out. Once you've done that, and learned the lessons, you can step down to something like a .22 to work on your marksmanship on the cheap. Because at that point you can mentally take the steps needed to ensure that your .22 shots that have no bearing on real life are reinforcing the techniques you'll need when firing real guns.

And if you don't have the funds to train properly on our carry / home defense piece, then maybe you ought to focus on getting a better job instead of worrying about who's going to bust into your house, get past your dog, your security system, your flood lights, your nanny, etc., and attack you in your sleep.

You make it seem like shooting is not a 'fun' thing, at all?

NewCarGuy: "Hi. I just finished Driver's Ed and am looking to buy my first car. I didn't grow up around cars, and my Ecoweenie sprout munching family / friends / wife / boyfriend / have always been anti-car. Recently I read in the news that someone in my town used a car to drive themselves to the grocery store instead of waiting for mommy to bring food to them. That was it! I am now pro-car! What do you guys recommend I should buy for my first car?"

IHeartLARPing: " Congrats on becoming pro-car! I recommend you buy a Geo Gnat. It's where everyone should start. You'll learn the fundamentals of driving without being overwhelmed by the loud noises that big engines make. You should get yourself to a NASCARseed, too! You'll learn about Red Byron, Lee Petty, Bobby Flock and a bunch of other dudes that nobody remembers for a reason. After you get your Gnat up to 25 miles an hour on a 1/4 sized track, we'll give you a NASCARseed patch! Be warned though... you're going to be doing some hard driving! Are you a Driver? or a Cook!"

StealthNinja: " Buy a Maserati. If you're not doing 180 mph through Barstow on 66 then you don't deserve a driver's license."

DaleJr: "Get whatever you want, dude. I've got a couple of Gnats. Just don't drive like my dad."

IHeartLARPing: "@ StealthNinja - Everyone should run a Maserati. :rolleyes: I've never seen YOU at a NASCARseed!"

StealthNinja: YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW I DRIVE OR WHO I DRIVE WITH!

IHeartLARPing: Yes I do. I Googled you. Your username is "Segway340lbs" on EricEstrada.com. You work at Chucky Cheese, and drive go carts at Fun Spot. You have a wart over your right eyebrow, and you're Skype username is SexyMeatMissile69"

WilliamMunny: Why can't we all just get along? Oh and IBTL!

StealthNinja: Go back to playing GTA4 loser!

NewCarGuy: Why can't I access the classifieds? What kind of a forum is this? WHY ISN'T THIS JUST LIKE CARBROKER?!?

[rofl][laugh2][laugh]

Buy an AK first. That way you'll get everyone up your butt about how dumb you are for doing that.

But then you realize that you're such a hardass that you don't give a *(#@ what pussies tell you is right or wrong because you're freak'n awesome.

Well, You have that freak thing down pat. [smile][wink] It was funny as hell to see You showering people with hot brass last weekend though.[laugh]

Exxxcellent. [grin]

The op could always get a pistol with a .22 conversion kit as well.

there is no reason anyone can't pick up a 9mm and shoot it with relative accuracy at 7 yards. no one is born a bad-ass or has 24 months of practice shooting bullseye with a .22 to be a "good" shooter...

a quick / painless class taught by an ACTUAL person with ACTUAL experience and whatever gun they have is suffice. the .22LR is great for plinking... i refuse to own any pistols in that caliber because they all suck or don't mirror anything i own that i carry. -but that's just me....

my advice to anyone on a budget is to buy a case of 1k round with your first pistol... make friends, take a course or both...

Yeah, this talk of 'fatigue' made me laugh out loud. Do you people really get tired shooting 9mm, .45 ACP, or .38 Special?

.40 gets pretty tiresome, but we all know where that conversation will end up.

The only gun I've ever fired, and found myself fatigued from the task is an M44.

Yeah, this talk of 'fatigue' made me laugh out loud. Do you people really get tired shooting 9mm, .45 ACP, or .38 Special?

Me. After about 200 rounds of 9mm my focus starts to soften and I need to take a good break.

I get about the same amount of tired from shooting 20 rounds out of my ultralite 357.

.22 is cheap enough so that you can shoot 250 rounds every other day, and not break the bank. You will need thousands of rounds to get the hang of it, but make every shot count.

By contrast, starting with a .40 or 9 mm will cost you probably 5x as much in ammo.

BTW, Ruger MkIII is great, but a little tricky for a newbie to strip and clean.

Back
Top Bottom