• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

really? start with a 22?

Hi all, I've been reading the forums for a while but just joined, waiting for my LTC to come in and can't wait!

Reason I'm posting is I've read all over the place about starting with a .22, so I was really considering a Ruger Mark III and reasearching other 22 pistols (and maybe even a 22 LR). But after going to the range a few times the 22 feels like less kick than my pellet rifle lol and really just enjoyed all the other pistols I shot more, and I am now leaning toward a 9mm... am I getting ahead of myself or have others started with something other than a 22? Opinions wanted, thanks [smile]

Rob

You aren't getting ahead of yourself. .22 can be fun and sure is cheaper than others, but there's no need to start there. Go right ahead and buy a 9mm if that's what you want.

I think the .22 is recommended most for new shooters because the ammo is dirt cheap and you can get the most practice with it. For that, I recommend you get a .22 anyways, even if it's not what you get first. My first gun was a .40, but I had already fired scores of handguns by that point in time, so I wasn't exactly new to shooting (not that I don't still need practice [laugh]). The point I'm trying to make is, get what you want - just be sure to practice as much as possible.

The purpose of starting out with a piddly ass .22 is for you to learn and be able to apply the fundamentals of marksmanship. You can shoot all day and not have to worry about recoil or as much sound. Which usually turns new people off.

It is not that "high speed", but it is effective.

Also, a bigger caliber gun is gonna mask a lot of issues that are easier to spot with a smaller caliber.

It's also cheaper to shoot the ammo.

The USMC shooting team, and most shooting teams start off and use .22's a lot.

It is like learning how to ride a bike, you don't start off with a mountain bike with full suspension.

Baby steps; master the basics and the advanced stuff should be easier to grasp.

+1 on the above comments..22's are very difficult to shoot accurately as even the smallest mistakes are magnifed in accuracy compared to a larger caliber. Learn to shoot a .22 pistol well and I guarantee you will be a much better shooter as you move up in caliber.

Get the .22 first, your wallet will thank you. If I could do it over I would've gotten a .22 to start off with.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

.22 cut both ways. You can get away with poor technique with a .22 since there is no recoil. But if you apply the proper fundamentals to a .22, it is an excellent training aid. I have a .22 clone for all my competition guns, once you learn proper recoil control, there really isn't a reason not to shoot one. Before a match, time yourself to the centerfire

for me it was an economic decision.
I want to fire off 400+ rounds for practice, yet I don't want to get ANOTHER job, or reduce my spending on hookers and blow. YMMV, you may not need as much of either to feel sated.

for me it was an economic decision.
I want to fire off 400+ rounds for practice, yet I don't want to get ANOTHER job, or reduce my spending on hookers and blow. YMMV, you may not need as much of either to feel sated.

Yeah, or you can start reloading and not care nearly as much about how much the ammo costs.

-Mike

Yeah, or you can start reloading and not care nearly as much about how much the ammo costs.

-Mike

Yeah, I've been looking for used gear there. Still, with reloading can you reach the cost per cartridge of some of the bulk boxes? (Yes, I know you can beat quality.) The much maligned Rem GB is 0.03 per round.

Yeah, I've been looking for used gear there. Still, with reloading can you reach the cost per cartridge of some of the bulk boxes? (Yes, I know you can beat quality.) The much maligned Rem GB is 0.03 per round.

Well, not on .22s, obviously, but I effectively halve my ammo cost on 9mm and .45, and back when I had a .38 and a .357 the savings for those two calibers were probably more than a halving. If you go the unjacketed lead bullet route you can save even more.

-Mike

Thanks for all the great comments, hmmmmm this is tricky because I am a new shooter and learning the basics and shooting cheap ammo is a plus. Although I must ask, I've shot a .22 Mark II and had good groups from about 7 yards and when shooting the other calibers (9mm, 357, 40) I didn't shoot nearly as good. So I just assumed it was the recoil i needed to get used to and the different type of gun. But maybe it is actually the fundamentals because I'm new to shooting?

Well, not on .22s, obviously, but I effectively halve my ammo cost on 9mm and .45, and back when I had a .38 and a .357 the savings for those two calibers were probably more than a halving. If you go the unjacketed lead bullet route you can save even more.

-Mike

I'm going to bug you on this subject later. It's interesting.

When I have a new shooter at the range (Trap) I explain that there is a "right" way to stand and hold the gun - yours. Neither you nor I know what it is, yet.

All I can do is teach you what works for most people, most of the time. From that point on you're on your own, more or less.....you have to find the right "fit".

What does this have to do with the OP's question? People have been learning to shoot pistol for a long time, and for most the .22 has been the "best" learning tool.

All of the reasons have been discussed: Recoil, noise and cost, being the biggest considerations.

The .22 may not be the "best" for you, but odds are, it is.

Pretty soon, you'll be ready to start another argument with a question like, "I'm ready to graduate from a 22 - what should I get?" [laugh]

welcome to shooting, where arguing is half the fun! [wink]

I started with a .22 - and whenever I go to the range, I bust out the buckmaster - reason? its cheap, helps me maintain my fundamentals, my grip, point of aim and I can get back to things like breathing control and site picture without as much flinch and fatigue as larger calibers. By all means, get the 9 - its a versatile round, but the .22 should be part of any serious shooter's arsenal for the purposes of practice.

I have a Browning Buckmark that I've had for 11 years or so - great gun that I've beaten the hell out of and it still performs for each and every shot.

I did not get my first .22 until 2-3 years after I started shooting. I had a .22 then sold it and now I want another.

.22's are cheap to buy and feed

Get yourself whatever you enjoy but I can almost guarantee you will want a .22 for those days at the range that you don't want to become too expensive.

@Timber. ROFL!

I started with a .22. But then I was 6...and it was pretty much all I could hold at that age...and actually, it was too long so I still needed my Granddad to hold the end because I would just shoot at the ground.

My motto is you can't have too many .22s. But, the I just love the .22. Fun to shoot, stupid cheap, and yes I reload. It's still cheaper.

That's all.

signs138.gif

Get a .22, it won't break the bank and its a great tool to have for improving your skill level and getting others into shooting on the cheap.

I'd recommend the Ruger Mark series for reliability and accuracy out of the box. Don't get something like a Walther P22 cause it looks cooler.

Mike

I started off with a 10mm as my first pistol and finally didn't pick up a .22 pistol until I had about 14 other guns. Seemed to work out fine for me. I also didn't learn to drive on a Geo Gnat, but a full-size Chevy pickup. For what it's worth, I did shoot .22s at Boy Scout camp when I was 10. [grin]

Couple of things to decide on the first gun. Do I need it right now for self defense or do I need it for practice?

I needed one for personal protection immediately so my first gun was a .38 snubbie, for carry and home. Got some ammo, practiced, and carried. Not the easiest to shoot but it ain't that hard to master.

The .22 came later as a fun gun. Cheap to shoot and practice with. Of course there were others in between but the way I see it, take care of business first. The fun gun is second. Jus' sayin'.

Buy what you want. I started with a .45. I quickly got a .22, I can head to the range, shoot a box or two of .45, and then spend as much time as I care there continuing to shoot .22, for dirt cheap. If you're just looking for the enjoyment of shooting and additional trigger time, you can't really go wrong with federal or blazer bulk packs.

I prefer to start new shooters on my MkIII. Less recoil, less noise, less HOLY CRAP when they squeeze the trigger. This is especially true with people who might be a bit skittish around guns. Once they get a feel for it, they can shoot whatever they want, assuming they (and I) feel they can handle it. Starting on a 9mm or a .38 is perfectly okay, as well. Shoot what you like, buy what you like. Factor in ammo costs. Starting with a S&W500 might be a bad idea, but more power to you if you go that route.

But after going to the range a few times the 22 feels like less kick than my pellet rifle lol and really just enjoyed all the other pistols I shot more, and I am now leaning toward a 9mm... am I getting ahead of myself or have others started with something other than a 22? Opinions wanted, thanks [smile]

Rob

Well of course you physically CAN shoot a 9mm, but can you shoot it WELL? Can you shoot it for an extended period of time? Can you afford to shoot it as much as you want/should?

There is this ingrained "bigger is better" belief that's especially prevalent among new shooters, that leads them to believe that a gun isn't worth shooting unless it makes a big BANG.

But learning to shoot a .22 is a wise investment in the future, for all the reasons listed here.
  • You're more likely to be able to learn to shoot correctly.
  • You're less likely to develop bad habits.
  • You're less likely to become fatigued while shooting for extended periods of time.
  • You're going to spend, literally, 10x less on ammo, which means you'll be able to shoot 10x more.

You'll find the majority of people who actually know how to shoot spend the majority of their trigger time behind a .22.

If your intentions are just to go to the range on the weekend, make a ton of noise with your buddies, and blow the shit out of targets you imagine are your boss or exgirlfriend, then yes, go get a big centerfire pistol. Get a .500. Go crazy.

Of course, you'll want to buy a full sized pistol if you intend on having one available for defensive purposes, but this shouldn't be your primary training gun. If you want to learn to become a competent, or even skilled marksman, learn to shoot a .22.

I prefer to start new shooters on my MkIII. Less recoil, less noise, less HOLY CRAP when they squeeze the trigger. This is especially true with people who might be a bit skittish around guns. Once they get a feel for it, they can shoot whatever they want, assuming they (and I) feel they can handle it. Starting on a 9mm or a .38 is perfectly okay, as well. Shoot what you like, buy what you like. Factor in ammo costs.

This. My Marlin Model 60 .22LR rifle is still my favorite range gun

Buy an AK first. That way you'll get everyone up your butt about how dumb you are for doing that.

But then you realize that you're such a hardass that you don't give a *(#@ what pussies tell you is right or wrong because you're freak'n awesome.

Back
Top Bottom