• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Really felt naked this weekend.

Went to NYC to see a show this weekend, obviously without my CCW. I pocket carried a folding blade, but felt horribly under protected. I am normally fairly aware of my surroundings, but I was even more paranoid than usual. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, and sizing up everyone within three yards of me. It kind of detracts from the fun of the trip when your worrying about stuff like this, I enjoyed the performance I went to see however, and I always enjoy seeing some of the cast of characters on the streets of NYC. I guess the purpose of this thread was to just vent a little bit and to see if any of you feel the same way or if you folks had any secrets to cope these feelings.

Went to NYC to see a show this weekend, obviously without my CCW. I pocket carried a folding blade, but felt horribly under protected.

Know how you feel... I've been in CA on a business trip since Feb 2nd... a few more days and I'll have my guns back. I don't even have a knife or a tactical flashlight or mace... I have the 'switchblade' key for the Mazda Hertz gave me.

I am normally fairly aware of my surroundings, but I was even more paranoid than usual. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, and sizing up everyone within three yards of me.

Why would this change because you're NOT carrying a gun on your hip? If someone wanted to do you harm and were within that range, chances are probably good the gun would remain on your hip through the attack.

Being in NYC in a crowd, now that's a reason to be in a heightened state of alert! I hate that place... always feel like I need a shower after leaving....

Like I've seem people post here before, and these thoughts are true... it feels like EVERYONE knows you're not carrying, and bad guys are everywhere.[shocked]

My wife and daughter insist on going there to shop and eat. Fine. Leave me home.

So, last time, they come home and I ask them if everything was ok and they said yep, they had a good time. Then my daughter proceeds to tell me how she watched a bad guy in the crowd whip out a razor and slice open some guy's wallet pocket and steal his wallet without the victim even knowing what was happening. She said it all took about 5 seconds and he was gone! My wife hasn't asked me to go there again. I must say, however, that I'd like to see the Intrepid.

Rome

Like I've seem people post here before, and these thoughts are true... it feels like EVERYONE knows you're not carrying, and bad guys are everywhere.[shocked]

Hello, Everyone DOES know you are not carrying! It's NYC, noone carrys except the cops, chuck Schumer and a few other politicians. The rest of us are left to fend off the scum who carry everyday law or no law

NYC

Went to NYC to see a show this weekend, obviously without my CCW. I pocket carried a folding blade, but felt horribly under protected. I am normally fairly aware of my surroundings, but I was even more paranoid than usual. I was constantly looking over my shoulder, and sizing up everyone within three yards of me. It kind of detracts from the fun of the trip when your worrying about stuff like this, I enjoyed the performance I went to see however, and I always enjoy seeing some of the cast of characters on the streets of NYC. I guess the purpose of this thread was to just vent a little bit and to see if any of you feel the same way or if you folks had any secrets to cope these feelings.
I`d still carry if I drove or took the train. If you don`t need it no one will know you`re carrying.
If you need it hopefully you will be alive to fight it out in court.

Advising someone to commit an illegal action that could end him/her up in Rikers Island and involve thousands in legal fees. The theater district is one of the safest. I've been there numerous times and never had a problem.

As far as the trains, Amtrak will be instituting higher security measures. Nothing saying that you won't be walking through a metal detector somewhere along the route.

Just go and enjoy the show.

NYC

Advising someone to commit an illegal action that could end him/her up in Rikers Island and involve thousands in legal fees. The theater district is one of the safest. I've been there numerous times and never had a problem.

As far as the trains, Amtrak will be instituting higher security measures. Nothing saying that you won't be walking through a metal detector somewhere along the route.

Just go and enjoy the show.

I`m not advising anyone on what to do. I`m telling you what I would do.

I on the flip side went into Boston for a show this weekend with my wife. Felt rather secure as I was exercising my rights. Only to realize (or have it dawn on me) while waiting in line that the show was at one of the local college performance centers......

Sometimes following the all the law in regards to CCW is tough if not impossible. Especially in MA with schools/colleges everywhere you turn, living on the border of CT and RI, storage laws, etc. And I consider myself fairly well educated on the dos and donts via this board mostly. Imagine how many CCWs are out there thinking they are following the law and probably actually breaking it all the time .

I guess the purpose of this thread was to just vent a little bit and to see if any of you feel the same way or if you folks had any secrets to cope these feelings.

You're not alone in feeling naked hun. It's happened to me on a few ocaisions. It sucks. How do you cope with it? I haven't figured that one out yet, but when I do, I'll let ya know.

Back
Top Bottom