• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Reality of Gun Control Debate

I know we're trying our best to be heard and keep from being made the scape goats from Newtown. Every "Republican" out there has been stating they are open to a deal on gun control. They are going to use this as a bargaining chip, being 2 years until an election they are all feeling safe.

Every form letter back from a republican has stated they are open to "common sense" laws. It looks like all transfers in the future will need to go through an FFL and have a 4473 done. Dems will push for a national registry which will be "negotiated out", a new tougher AWB will be implemented likely with some firearms being banned from being sold post '13 similar to full auto in '86.

Just my view on things, based on that I would suggest people keep making noise but spend all your financial resources buying up receivers and firearms from dealers. Get as many things on the books as possible before they are no longer available. Buy 80% receivers to be completed later, receiver blanks to be completed later. Anything that is serialized should be purchased.

Death by a thousand cuts, with the banning of new full auto's in '86 the number over the years has decreased and the value of what are there has increased. They will do the same with AR's, AK's and all "Military Style Assault Weapons".

Just my $.02, there won't be an out right ban on pre-existing firearms but it's a decent chance there will be no future civilian AR's or AK's.

I sort of agree. I think if we "only" get all transfers via FFL, we sort of come out rather unscathed.

BTW, here's my response from Senator Kelly Ayotte:

January 8, 2013

Dear Mr. M317:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senate rules and the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing from you.

I certainly understand and appreciate the concerns about gridlock in Washington. In order to address the significant challenges our country faces, Republicans and Democrats must work across party lines for the good of the nation.

To carefully debate and consider the most pressing issues, our founding fathers designed the Senate to be a deliberative body that would protect the rights of the minority. Accordingly, the standing rules of the Senate protect the wishes of the minority against the will of the majority. These minority protections become even more important during periods of time when circumstances arise that may tempt the majority to hastily pass legislation without proper consideration and debate.

You may be interested to know that on January 28, 2011, majority and minority leaders in the Senate agreed to significant reforms of the Senate rules. These reforms included two major rules changes ending the practice of "secret holds" and waiving the reading of amendments that have been filed and publicly available for at least 72 hours. I was pleased to support these rule changes, which create a more transparent Senate without compromising the rights of the minority to engage in full and complete debate about pending legislation.

Like you, I am a strong supporter of the individual right to keep and bear arms for law abiding citizens. I believe it is my duty to ensure that new laws do not infringe upon the Second Amendment to the Constitution. Instead of additional restrictive laws, those who commit gun related crimes or misuse guns should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Individual responsibility, coupled with severe consequences for those who violate existing firearm laws, are the proper means for lowering gun violence.

We need a Senate that is structured to appropriately consider and debate the most serious issues facing our nation. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind if additional changes to Senate rules are brought to a vote. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. As your Senator, it is important that I hear from the people I represent regarding the current issues affecting New Hampshire and our nation. Please do not hesitate to be in touch again if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Signature
Kelly A. Ayotte
U. S. Senator

KAA/mm

They will ban online ammo sales as well. That and the FFL transfer requirement. Both serve no legitimate purpose. We suffer 2x in MA -- no longer will be able to transfer handguns that are not on the list (b/c no FTF) and will make the already difficult ability to purchase ammo online prohibited altogether.

All those who wish to lick the hands of their master can comply.

I on the other hand will not bow to illegal laws and regulations.

If that means I die at a young age, so be it.

Besides, the good die young anyway, or so the music told me...

I disagree. The USSC ruled in Heller that firearms which are in common use cannot be banned outright (I don't have the actual text in front of me...it's worth reading the decision). The AR-15 style of weapon is the very epitome of common use. If any ban goes through the legislative branch, it would very likely be immediately challenged by lawyerly proponents of gun rights (ie Alan Gura or others). A ban like that wouldn't survive strict scrutiny.

If you're the praying type, pray hard the Heller 5 all survive the current administration.

I sort of agree. I think if we "only" get all transfers via FFL, we sort of come out rather unscathed.

BTW, here's my response from Senator Kelly Ayotte:

Is that a different response from what we were getting.

I disagree. The USSC ruled in Heller that firearms which are in common use cannot be banned outright (I don't have the actual text in front of me...it's worth reading the decision). The AR-15 style of weapon is the very epitome of common use. If any ban goes through the legislative branch, it would very likely be immediately challenged by lawyerly proponents of gun rights (ie Alan Gura or others). A ban like that wouldn't survive strict scrutiny.

If you're the praying type, pray hard the Heller 5 all survive the current administration.

Dude, by the time any royal decree from obama makes it to the SC there will be some new faces there. I expect to hear talk of retirements from the court within the next couple months.

If all gun owners spent half the time money and effort they put in to hoarding and posting doom and gloom online on fighting, we could beat this crap easily.

I agree re: Heller. The problem is that we will still get stuck with crappy "compromises" that do not reduce violence in this country and instead further penalize law-abiding citizens.

Back
Top Bottom