"Real" Mosin Nagant Sniper?

MaverickNH

NES Member
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=41822&highlight=mosin+nagant

Looks like this poster was in only to post this rifle for sale. He's just up the road from me in NH and still has it.

For those in the know, does it look to be a "real" Mosin Nagant Sniper, as in genuine re-arsenaled, or might it just be one cobbled together from a rifle and scope by an importer?

Thanks for the look-see and comments.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with him before - he's an entirely upstanding guy. I mean - really upstanding. His old sale posts are just deleted because they're sold.

If you need to look at the rifle, he's a member at Purgatory.

Just an fyi he got that pic online, do your research and just check it out and from the electro-pencil marks it has been refinished and the serial numbers don't match.

Last edited:
I guess, based on this and input elsewhere, the rifle is a importer parts gun. But I'm asking the seller if it shoots POA/POI with reticle centered, and groups well. I'm looking for a shooter, not a collector. If so, I'll have a look-see. Thanks for the advice all.

not original

If it was a "real" or original sniper it would be in the $1200 to $1500 range. The 91/30 on the scope is a dead give away. The parts guns are OK for shooters. As to electro pencil the Russians did electro pencil some of their rifles if the parts wee replaced due to wear. I hope this helps.
If you really want to see something go to Mitchell Mausers web site and take a look at their so called original 91/30 snipers. They are $1400 and are assembled by them and are no more original than the one you are looking at.

Years ago I had a true original 91/30 sniper with a mint bore and post war Russian scope set up. Because I screwed up when disassembling the rifle and lost the original shims, I could never zero it properly and sold it it on Gunoards to someone who had experience in working with 91/30 snipers.

There was no doubt in my mind after reading info on Tuco's and several other boards that it was a true sniper even with a repro scope mount.

Original Russian sniper rifles are out there and have been imported by the hundreds if not thousands. There are also copies that have been cobbled up by the importer with a makeshift scope mount.

Problem is... some of the cobbled up rifles shoot as good if not better than the original Russian rifles and some of the original Russian scoped imports shoot both good and bad.

What it comes down to is a crap shoot. Value is in the numbers of the rifle and whether or not it can be determined that the date is within sniper serial number specs.
You may have an original that shoots like shit but could come across a repro that will put a 5 shot 100 yard group within the size of a quarter.

Hey, I tried to contact you at Gunboards. It is a IO Repro sniper. They are selling them for $399.00 now. I have one I bought about a year+ ago that you can check out $. I'm about a 15 minute drive. I have seen original PU's for $800.00+. They are on the Gunboards vendor list. My $345.00 IO sniper is here on the Surplus board/ Snipers. Msurp4me, 5 at 100, a dime. JP

Back
Top Bottom