Real Estate lease restricting firearms

Well its like this, if they put it in the lease and you are concerned, which for arguments sake somebody could be and I think the OP is if he asked - options are 1 - take apartment and sneak around, act wierd and stay up at night worrying about it 2 - pass on apartment that is otherwise what you want 3 - ask to modify the lease agreement and try to solve your problem openly.

I choose #3. Most landlord types are gun owning types and my guess is when they look an upstanding citizen in the eye its not the gangbanger or junkie they had in mind when they wrote that clause. You could even lie and say you own 3 shotguns for skeet shooting and that suffices for providing bare minimum information that even a libtard might accept, if you get an OK now your safe, gun cases etc etc can be spotted and you are in the clear.

I rent at the moment and in a smallish place there is no freakin way I could attempt to hide gun ownership - the safes once I got them in, sure nobody would notice fixing the water heater but the ammo, parts, tools, holsters, cases, boxes, mags, shit laying around I don't even notice haha no freakin way. But my landlord doesn't GAF, he carries himself and we talk guns.
I remember my dad modifying agreements for all sorts of things, back before it was legal a tenant was caught growing weed.
my dad made him clear it out. That weekend my dad upped the electrical system and put fire retardent sheet rock in the basement. When I asked why
They will most likely do it again amd at least they wont burn the house down.

Yeah.. I never lived that apartment life so that could be an issue
If they see the safe. What is in the safe? Documents? guns? etc..
They have no right to know what is in the safe

You are not getting charged for possession of a legal firearm in a apartment if the lease does not allow them

I think most people just want to get paid on time with little hassle and they use "standard" documents they print from a google search
I've had this come up once. Town in mass doing the stupid rental inspection crap. Our HOA required leases to prohibit firearms.
Our lease said "and all bylaws of the HOA"... Somewhere in it.
Inspector went through and saw a gun safe. Revoked the occupancy permit/rental allowance/permission slip. (whatever it was called)

I didn't care, we were already otw out of MA and had secured a rental in Maine. Just was funny for them.

They stiffed us on the security deposit anyway. Hoa wanted retirees only and was mad since we had a baby. Funny was. The couple (lesbians ) they tried to rent it to next noticed the glitch and didn't pay them rent for around 7 months till the permit /permission slip was restored. Wooops.

If a landlord accepts government money they can't discriminate against a tenant practicing their civil rights. So public housing authorities and Section 8 voucher accepting landlords have lost this battle in court in various circuits already. Private landlords it is more iffy. The landlord will argue it is along the lines of banning smoking or pets. The reality it is the equivalent of banning someone from practicing religion in their own home.
Comm2a & SAF should at some point be taking Avalon and those other large property owners to the cleaners for Anti-2A clauses in their leases.
Bold above is mine.

I would not be surprised if a certain anti-2A dickhead in MA paid a prestigious law firm to fight it for the landlord. His business money started with rentals and property management. He is backing the building over the MA Pike. A large property management company.

The AP
April 20, 2021 9:55 am
BOSTON (AP) — The developers of a major proposed project that would span a section of the Massachusetts Turnpike in Boston near Fenway Park have closed a deal with the state’s transportation agency worth $55 million.

Developers, Meredith Management and IQHQ, agreed to buy the air rights over the highway from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation on Friday, The Boston Globe reported.

The project will build a 2-acre deck over the highway and then a 350-foot (107-meter) tower that includes lab space meant to attract life-science companies as tenants, the newspaper reported. It will be located between Brookline Avenue and Beacon Street.

In the first phase of construction, the company will drive 500 piles into the sides and median of the turnpike and then lay 90,000 square feet (8,361 square meters) of steel over top as a foundation for the building complex.

Meredith Management and IQHQ will pay the $55 million lease upfront.

The site, dubbed the “Fenway Center project,” will be the second major project under construction above the turnpike. Lane closures required for construction will be coordinated between the projects, officials said.

“We’re confident that the traffic management plan, the highway management plan, is a good one,” Scott Bosworth, undersecretary of transportation and chief strategy officer at MassDOT, told the newspaper. “It will not lead to any substantial impacts to the motoring public.”

John Rosenthal, the head of Meredith Management, called the project, “a new gateway into Boston.” The tower does not yet have tenants, as construction is not expected to be completed for at least four years, the newspaper reported.

That's not exactly true. Just because you put something in a lease doesn't mean it's legal to enforce. At least that's what my lawyer told me when I set up a standard lease for my rentals.
This, put it in the lease all you want. It's not legally enforceable. Also they don't care either. It's like all the small print label warnings.

Last edited:
In theory, any contract is a negotiated agreement, you can add or remove clauses as you choose, then the prospective landlord can counter.

Many people (including landlords) don't understand this, see leasing as a 'take it or leave it" situation. In a tight housing market, that may be true.
The term is "contract of adhesion"

This, put it in the lease all you want. It's not legaly enforcable. Also they don't care either. It's like all the small print label warnings.
Why wouldn't it be?

OTOH, even for clauses which are "legaly enforcable", violation of a legally binding contract is a civil matter, would mostly just be grounds for termination of tenancy, akin to keeping poultry in a "no pets" building.

Pre china virus - Depends on the tenant but probably not evict, Housing court is a bitch. Most likely would not renew when it expires though. In this climate if they pay and don’t cause problems don’t rock the boat cause you can’t kick em out.
I believe you still need a full eviction proceeding; move of contents to storage by an eviction certified mover at landlord's expense if the t tenant does not leave; etc. if a tenant refuses to vacate at the end of the lease.

Why wouldn't it be?

OTOH, even for clauses which are "legaly enforcable", violation of a legally binding contract is a civil matter, would mostly just be grounds for termination of tenancy, akin to keeping poultry in a "no pets" building.
Poultry are considered livestock, not pets. Makes a big difference if you shoot a dog to protect your chickens.

Well its like this, if they put it in the lease and you are concerned, which for arguments sake somebody could be and I think the OP is if he asked - options are 1 - take apartment and sneak around, act wierd and stay up at night worrying about it 2 - pass on apartment that is otherwise what you want 3 - ask to modify the lease agreement and try to solve your problem openly.

I choose #3.
You left out #4: Ignore the clause, hide all the guns'n'ammo you want in your apartment,
and don't lose a moment's sleep over it.

BOSTON (AP) — The developers of a major proposed project that would span a section of the Massachusetts Turnpike in Boston near Fenway Park have closed a deal with the state’s transportation agency worth $55 million.

Developers, Meredith Management and IQHQ, agreed to buy the air rights over the highway from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation on Friday, The Boston Globe reported.
Meredith Management and IQHQ will pay the $55 million lease upfront.
John Rosenthal, the head of Meredith Management, called the project, “a new gateway into Boston.” The tower does not yet have tenants, as construction is not expected to be completed for at least four years, the newspaper reported.
I hope he loses his frigging shirt.
And then gets jacked up as sex offender for walking around shirtless.

With firearms and pets I put in the lease that the tenants must carry renters insurance and list me as notified if coverage cancels or lapses. With the “medical” marijuana I’m more concerned about a tenant setting up a hydroponic grow system than owning guns.

Why? Growing weed is perfectly legal now. Unless you as landlord are paying the electricity, and their grow lights are making the meter spin like a fan, why is this a problem?

Not the growing, it’s having a hydroponic setup. That’s a water disaster waiting to happen.
Many leases ban water beds and certain types of fish tanks because of this too. Risk of water damage and sometimes weight. Ditto for weight lifting equipment and pianos without the written approval of the landlord.
I hope he loses his frigging shirt.
And then gets jacked up as sex offender for walking around shirtless.
Johnny grab your guns got taxpayer funded subsidies and siphoned off state transportation stimulus project funds to build the supporting infrastructure for this project. The majority of the risk of his project which isn't underwritten by taxpayer money is pawned off on some pacific northwest real estate investment trust group. He got rich not only be inheriting money but by maximizing their profit and minimizing their risk on someone else's dime.

Not the growing, it’s having a hydroponic setup. That’s a water disaster waiting to happen.
Passive Hydroponics = nothing to worry about. Unless a bucket cracks. You would have to try very hard for that to happen.

Active (whatever the correct word is) = nothing to worry about. If a pump breaks, the water stops flowing. You could have a hose break, but most small systems are simple enough, that won't happen.

A fish tank has higher probabilities of failing and causing a mess.

rob, good idea! i gave my combination to a couple trusted individuals, i should do the same. to be honest, it'd be like asking the love of my life to sign a pre-nup...awkward. but i suppose no one need know until the deed is done. a theft that is.​
I found the file on my system:

POLICE LEGAL NOTICE
The firearms and accessories in this safe are the property of Robert Boudrie. No other individual other than Robert Boudrie has the authority to grant access to this safe or voluntarily surrender any of the contents to law enforcement. Opening of this safe by any party upon an order from law enforcement shall not be considered voluntary consent to a search or surrender of contents.​
This notice should be removed and logged in with any firearms, rifles or shotgun confiscated by law enforcement.​

I never paid for rental insurance at my last Apt. I always kept it clean and minded my own business. Cleaned guns out the ass there and there was never anything on the lease regarding firearms: ownership, storage, or upkeep. This was managed by a reputable realtor company; generally speaking you shouldn’t encounter many leases with these kind of bizarre tenets and mandates regardless of realtor/landlord. I would recommend reading through other parts of the lease as it would seem there may be even more “fine print” to clamp down on your fun. Even in the latest lease my family and I signed there was nothing about “firearms this” or “firearms that.” Weird flex by them to even mention it.

I never paid for rental insurance at my last Apt. I always kept it clean and minded my own business. Cleaned guns out the ass there and there was never anything on the lease regarding firearms: ownership, storage, or upkeep. This was managed by a reputable realtor company; generally speaking you shouldn’t encounter many leases with these kind of bizarre tenets and mandates regardless of realtor/landlord. I would recommend reading through other parts of the lease as it would seem there may be even more “fine print” to clamp down on your fun. Even in the latest lease my family and I signed there was nothing about “firearms this” or “firearms that.” Weird flex by them to even mention it.

A basic renters insurance policy w/ $15-$20K contents coverage & $500K Personal Liability will run you around $100-$125 per year. If you bundle w/ auto insurance you'll probably save enough w/ the bundle discount on the auto to pay for the renters insurance. Just a thought.

How about a lease that prohibits dildos?

How about a lease that prohibits alcohol?

Why is there a carve out for guns?
You can prohibit some dildos but not (let me repeat this) NOT black dildos. If dildo is used as as adjective such as "Your a f**king dildo" you may be able to prohibit renting.

Why? Growing weed is perfectly legal now. Unless you as landlord are paying the electricity, and their grow lights are making the meter spin like a fan, why is this a problem?

Growing pot is like smoking, it is really stinky. That can lead to damage to the apartment (getting the stink out for the next tenant) and damage to other tenants’ quality of life. I’d put it in the same bucket as “no pets”

That’s totally different from guns or booze or sex toys that hurt nobody if used responsibility.

A basic renters insurance policy w/ $15-$20K contents coverage & $500K Personal Liability will run you around $100-$125 per year. If you bundle w/ auto insurance you'll probably save enough w/ the bundle discount on the auto to pay for the renters insurance. Just a thought.

Cliff notes - its stupid cheap and I don't know why you wouldn't.

Basically its there so if the place burns or floods, or something destroys you stuff or makes it uninhabitable, immediately you can get put up in a hotel, your things get replaced, and you generally won't incur much cost. If you are unmarried and living in someone else's home you should also carry such a policy as the insurance company will treat your property and problems as not of the home owners interest.

The one issue of course are guns, and really any expensive "sporting equipment" - its crazy but even a fishing reel renter's insurance (and maybe homeowners too) will claim isn't covered and requires a special policy, appraisal, etc. I had traveller's at one point for my boat and renters policy - they told me that they couldn't cover my fishing reels via any means unless I stored them in the boat :).. so basically in the off season $20,000 in reels left in a boat unlocked in a yard - OK, in the house NOT OK. Durr.

Cliff notes - its stupid cheap and I don't know why you wouldn't.

Basically its there so if the place burns or floods, or something destroys you stuff or makes it uninhabitable, immediately you can get put up in a hotel, your things get replaced, and you generally won't incur much cost. If you are unmarried and living in someone else's home you should also carry such a policy as the insurance company will treat your property and problems as not of the home owners interest.

The one issue of course are guns, and really any expensive "sporting equipment" - its crazy but even a fishing reel renter's insurance (and maybe homeowners too) will claim isn't covered and requires a special policy, appraisal, etc. I had traveller's at one point for my boat and renters policy - they told me that they couldn't cover my fishing reels via any means unless I stored them in the boat :).. so basically in the off season $20,000 in reels left in a boat unlocked in a yard - OK, in the house NOT OK. Durr.

There is typically a special limit of a few thousand Dollars for loss by theft of firearms however theft is usually the only peril with a specified limit, otherwise firearms are treated like any other personal property if there's a fire, water (non flood) damage, etc. Like regular personal property, if you want the antique/collectible value on the firearms then you need to schedule them on your policy, provide appraisals, etc.

I have never heard of a limit on "sporting equipment" or fishing reels although $20k in reels might be considered commercial? There are endorsements on boat policies to cover equipment specifically used on the boat (we don't do a lot of boat policies) but there's no fishing reel exclusion on a home or renters policy that I'm aware of if it's your personal property stored in your home.

I found the file on my system:

POLICE LEGAL NOTICE

The firearms and accessories in this safe are the property of Robert Boudrie. No other individual other than Robert Boudrie has the authority to grant access to this safe or voluntarily surrender any of the contents to law enforcement. Opening of this safe by any party upon an order from law enforcement shall not be considered voluntary consent to a search or surrender of contents.​
This notice should be removed and logged in with any firearms, rifles or shotgun confiscated by law enforcement.​
Thanks Rob,
Now I’ll have to take all the other crap off the front of the safe so the sign doesn’t get lost in the clutter.

There is typically a special limit of a few thousand Dollars for loss by theft of firearms however theft is usually the only peril with a specified limit, otherwise firearms are treated like any other personal property if there's a fire, water (non flood) damage, etc. Like regular personal property, if you want the antique/collectible value on the firearms then you need to schedule them on your policy, provide appraisals, etc.

I have never heard of a limit on "sporting equipment" or fishing reels although $20k in reels might be considered commercial? There are endorsements on boat policies to cover equipment specifically used on the boat (we don't do a lot of boat policies) but there's no fishing reel exclusion on a home or renters policy that I'm aware of if it's your personal property stored in your home.

It was a limit on "sporting equipment", a category they explained is applied to guns or reels, golf clubs, etc. I don't remember if say $3000 was covered but in my case it wouldn't have been acceptable.

The boat end of it is no trouble - agreed value, state what you need in $$'s - easy like everything in boat insurance.

I went through hell with traveller's, state farm, and all state trying to get to a reasonable policy for equipment at home. The only option, which I was quoted via all state, was get an appraisal per item, then they could write me this policy that would cover them everywhere (ie in car, boat, if dropped in the water however/wherever) similar to a diamond ring or something and it was outrageously priced - like $2000 a year.

In the end I store my gear in 3 places now, prevents a total loss.

State farm was in my ear about possibly signing a form "not for commercial purposes" but in the end told me they couldn't figure out how to write the policy. Hard to define that - sure I commercial fish like everyone does who owns a set of 130s, but that's not my living and really none of my gear is primarily for commercial use. The all state guy said, if its not a primary part of your income then don't worry about it, they were just too expensive because their policy was covering far above and beyond what I wanted. All I wanted was at home, fire and theft.

legal? yeah probably. I suppose a property owner could limit just about anything they want in a lease so long as it's not considered completely unreasonable by a court. As I understand it, unreasonable contracts are void. Enforceable? probably not. A tenant can just quit paying rent in MA and be protected for like 6+months, maybe more.

I'd file this under "keep your guns and stfu about it. and the landlord will never know".

Back
Top Bottom