• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Real Estate lease restricting firearms

I know of one case were a wife was tricked into believing that her husband had given consent for the police to have her open his ordnance locker and "voluntarily" turn in his guns, so she let them in their house while he was not home.

I also added some stuff to my notice about any power of attorney being void for the purpose of granting consent. The value is not in stopping anything, but making it hard for the system to allege consent was given.

I also have a letter pre-written and printed inside the safe granting permission for specific FFLs and individuals to take possession, and well as specific instructions for transfer of the one with NFA registration.

If a landlord accepts government money they can't discriminate against a tenant practicing their civil rights. So public housing authorities and Section 8 voucher accepting landlords have lost this battle in court in various circuits already. Private landlords it is more iffy. The landlord will argue it is along the lines of banning smoking or pets. The reality it is the equivalent of banning someone from practicing religion in their own home.
Comm2a & SAF should at some point be taking Avalon and those other large property owners to the cleaners for Anti-2A clauses in their leases.

Me. What grown adult has a cartoon as a avatar?
Despite not sleeping much and shit posting here at all hours in between work, I'm not really a WW1 French messenger pigeon touring the overnight shift in a dapper Adrian helmet.

I know of one case were a wife was tricked into believing that her husband had given consent for the police to have her open his ordnance locker and "voluntarily" turn in his guns, so she let them in their house while he was not home.

I also added some stuff to my notice about any power of attorney being void for the purpose of granting consent. The value is not in stopping anything, but making it hard for the system to allege consent was given.

I also have a letter pre-written and printed inside the safe granting permission for specific FFLs and individuals to take possession, and well as specific instructions for transfer of the one with NFA registration.
I know you've discussed this letter in the past, have you ever posted the text? I'm sure several of us would love to do something similar on our own.

Is a lease for real estate rental in MA that prohibits firearms on the premises, at least for the renter, as opposed to visitors, legal and enforceable?
LOL. Dude, just have your guns.

Let's assume the landlord finds out, gets angry and tries to kick you out. It will take him 5-6 months in the best case scenario to get rid of you. By that time, you already found another place.

Let's assume worse case scenario, you are a d*ck and stop paying rent during that time, the landlord gets f*cked. (I do not recommend this because it is a scumbag move).

Last edited:
This gun blow up is similar to heparin use in hospitals.

The same drug comes in different concentrations including 1000, 5000 and 10000 units per CC. Use the 10000 unit drug when you think you are using the 1000 unit and you patient is in a world of trouble. This does not necessarily mean the patient was heparin intolerant, just that the load was excessive for the recipient. This is the same reason the .357MAG was made .10 longer than 38 Special when the magnum level loads were commercially introduced.

If I owned say a half dozen handguns I personally would ignore such - small safe nobody would likely ever recognize as a gun safe, nobody is going to know unless you are flaunting it.

If I owned a bunch of rifles, shotguns, etc etc and I was worried about being booted I would just bring it up, explain you are legal and licensed, ask for a deviation to the lease. I have seen landlord take a pen and cross things out on the spot from a lease agreement.

With firearms and pets I put in the lease that the tenants must carry renters insurance and list me as notified if coverage cancels or lapses.
Beats the contrapositive:

My best friend's sister was living in an apartment complex in Atlanta,
and her landlord told all the tenants not to fret over buying renter's insurance,
because they were all covered on his policy.

Her entire building burned down,
at which point the tenants discovered that he was full of crap -
their personal property was not covered by whatever insurance he had.
[shocked]

One problem with non-binding bans (signs in stores, leases the violation of which is not a criminal offense) is that in the event gun
Well? Yes?
What's the rest of the story?
We're shivering in anticipation.

Anyone in MA threatened or facing eviction for violating a gun clause in a lease should contact Comm2A. It's hard to bring a case without a damaged plaintiff.
Word.
Let alone a plaintiff who hasn't been damaged.

Only if someone made a thing that could cover the safe, like a blanket or something. 🤔
Or a bed sheet. Like a ghost safe
American flag-themed plastic picnic tablecloth, FTW.

If I owned say a half dozen handguns I personally would ignore such - ...

If I owned a bunch of rifles, shotguns, etc etc and I was worried about being booted I would just bring it up, explain you are legal and licensed, ask for a deviation to the lease. I have seen landlord take a pen and cross things out on the spot from a lease agreement.
Telling someone without the Need To Know that you own guns
is the midnight train to Failsville.

Beats the contrapositive:

My best friend's sister was living in an apartment complex in Atlanta,
and her landlord told all the tenants not to fret over buying renter's insurance,
because they were all covered on his policy.

Her entire building burned down,
at which point the tenants discovered that he was full of crap -
their personal property was not covered by whatever insurance he had.
[shocked]
He could be on the hook personally if the tenants had a good lawyer and count convince a court or jury that such a representation was made to them.

Interesting side effect: if you ever have to use your gun in self defense, you’re homeless.
Not really, just because the lease says no guns, doesn't mean the landlord has to enforce it. He could have put it there because his insurance company wanted him to. And, if you are a good tenant that pays the rent on time and the firearm related incident didn't result in you being charged with anything your landlord may just choose to ignore it.

He could be on the hook personally if the tenants had a good lawyer and count convince a court or jury that such a representation was made to them.
Absolutely. But it's not like an entire apartment building's worth of tenants
were gonna squeeze the value of all their chattels out of that particular turnip.
Don't know whether the landlord had a different shell company for each property,
if he owned more that one.

And since my best friend's best friend growing up is a (now retired) lawyer
whose firm's practice specialized in suing insurance companies (and winning),
and yet I never heard that she got any relief by cunning advice from those quarters,
I have to conclude that she got scrod.

Not really, just because the lease says no guns, doesn't mean the landlord has to enforce it. He could have put it there because his insurance company wanted him to. And, if you are a good tenant that pays the rent on time and the firearm related incident didn't result in you being charged with anything your landlord may just choose to ignore it.

I write a fair amount of landlord policies, I have never heard of an insurance carrier w such restrictions.

I have, on the other hand, heard plenty of bogus references of insurance companies prohibiting this or that when it’s really the individual/business who won’t/can’t/chooses to or not to do something.

I write a fair amount of landlord policies, I have never heard of an insurance carrier w such restrictions.

I have, on the other hand, heard plenty of bogus references of insurance companies prohibiting this or that when it’s really the individual/business who won’t/can’t/chooses to or not to do something.
True, it's a convenient excuse for a landlord to just say it's because my insurance company requires it.

But, what I was really getting at is that just because it's in the lease doesn't necessarily mean the landlord will evict you because of it. He may use it as an "add on" if you are a pain in the ass tenant, and he finds some lease violations then they may support his case. But, if you pay the rent on time and are a very good tenant, then most likely your landlord won't care. Just my thoughts on the subject.

Is a lease for real estate rental in MA that prohibits firearms on the premises, at least for the renter, as opposed to visitors, legal and enforceable?
When I was a landlord I had a prospective tenant looking at the apartment and he wanted to bring a good sized safe but I didn't think the floors were able to take the weight. I was honest with him and he was fine knowing that was the reason.

Wow. So here I sit with a 100,000 sf building. (the Mill). 65 tenants are FFLs and probably most of them CCW and have safes full of guns. Some of the other 40 or so other tenants may well CCW. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Jack.

Wow. So here I sit with a 100,000 sf building. (the Mill). 65 tenants are FFLs and probably most of them CCW and have safes full of guns. Some of the other 40 or so other tenants may well CCW. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. Jack.
You don't add that to your contracts jack? Maybe you should . At least to see if people read anything. [rofl]

You don't add that to your contracts jack? Maybe you should . At least to see if people read anything. [rofl]
No need to. We are zoned for all the activities being conducted in the Mill. All the tenants, FFL or other already conform to the various provisions that you would find in the standard commercial lease. I've written leases for tenants who want to be assured that they can stay for a specified period. If a 'tenant at will" tenant wants or has to leave for any reason, we say good by and shake hands. Worked for me for 23 years and the worst things that ever happen are when I'm left with a shithouse mess or get screwed out of the last month's rent. Happens very seldom and I just write it off. Jack.

Telling someone without the Need To Know that you own guns
is the midnight train to Failsville.

Well its like this, if they put it in the lease and you are concerned, which for arguments sake somebody could be and I think the OP is if he asked - options are 1 - take apartment and sneak around, act wierd and stay up at night worrying about it 2 - pass on apartment that is otherwise what you want 3 - ask to modify the lease agreement and try to solve your problem openly.

I choose #3. Most landlord types are gun owning types and my guess is when they look an upstanding citizen in the eye its not the gangbanger or junkie they had in mind when they wrote that clause. You could even lie and say you own 3 shotguns for skeet shooting and that suffices for providing bare minimum information that even a libtard might accept, if you get an OK now your safe, gun cases etc etc can be spotted and you are in the clear.

I rent at the moment and in a smallish place there is no freakin way I could attempt to hide gun ownership - the safes once I got them in, sure nobody would notice fixing the water heater but the ammo, parts, tools, holsters, cases, boxes, mags, shit laying around I don't even notice haha no freakin way. But my landlord doesn't GAF, he carries himself and we talk guns.

I dont know the legal answer but god I hope it is legal to have a do and dont list for my property.
I know when my dad had rental property he had a “no smoking inside” agreement and renter would loose deposit if they did.
Mind you most tenants lost the deposit for being destructive slobs

Back
Top Bottom