Real Estate Agent Found Dead

One wonders if they'll suggest a firearm for personal protection...

Real Estate Agent Found Dead in Vacant Home

JEFFERSON, Wis. — A 71-year-old real estate agent was found dead inside a smoke-filled rural home she had shown to a client earlier in the day.

Ann B. Nelson, of Cambridge, was found dead in a bedroom of the home Tuesday night, next to a smoldering mattress, authorities said. She also suffered head wounds.

The client who requested Nelson show the house was questioned Wednesday because he is believed to be the last person to have been with her in the house, said Jefferson County sheriff's Capt. Duane Scott.

"We're trying to piece together exactly what happened," said Scott.

Nelson's family contacted authorities after she didn't return home Tuesday evening. Deputies tracked her down to the vacant home in Jefferson County and noticed smoke coming from the house when they arrived about 9:20 p.m.

Nelson had three sons, three daughters and 16 grandchildren and was active at church and in the community, said a son, Doug Nelson. "She was always willing to help. No task was ever too difficult," he said.

News of the incident prompted the Wisconsin Realtors Association to send a note to its members informing them that one of their fellow members was found dead at a vacant listing.

It urged them: "Please do not let your guard down -- your safety is primary!"

Oakland is about 25 miles west of Madison.

One wonders if they'll suggest a firearm for personal protection...

Hell no! What are you, paranoid? Your chances of being murdered while showing a house are a billion to one.

Just carry a cell phone so the police can come with THEIR guns. You don't need one.

[thinking]

What is this the dark ages? Police don't need guns. Criminals have goodness that htey are born with. they aren't there to harm anyone they just need to make a living. Plus, what i don't want people toting around with guns, even if there in uniform.

PS. Can we rename this thread "liberal for a day"

Hell no! What are you, paranoid? Your chances of being murdered while showing a house are a billion to one.

Just carry a cell phone so the police can come with THEIR guns. You don't need one.

[thinking]

Not to mention that WI is a no-carry state.

There was a website (novictims.org) a few years ago started by a former real estate agent who was attacked & raped at an open house. I tried getting on to link to it, but I don't think the site is running anymore.

Last edited:
In a land lording book I have it states that you should always out number the prospective tenants or have protection of some other means. I was very impressed with that book.

And THAT folks, is the reason my wife ccw's as a real estate agent. Her bosses looked at her funny when she told them she was going to carry(the obligatory deer in the headlighst look). Up here in central/rural Maine it makes her feel safer(and me too!).

Both of us are answering questions of some of the more open minded agents in her office about how to go about getting CCW. It's a nice thing to see.

Too bad it takes a tradgedy to get sheeple thinking.[sad2]

Back
Top Bottom