Real Aliens M41A Pulse Rifle Build (Fully Functional SBR & SBS)

2n88utv.jpg

This picture is to demonstrate the following:

1. What needs to be removed from the rear of the 870 receiver for mags to clear into the Thompson
2. How the 870 attaches to the front hand guard mount on the Thompson.

I decided to let Eric over at Old Glory Guns & Ammo handle this part since I was not confident in my ability to mount it perfectly straight and the lack of proper tools to do this right. I wanted an experienced gunsmith's option that this was safe to do.

Once you get your stamps make sure you mark your receivers with your info listed on both of your form1s before cutting the barrels. This includes either your name if filed individually or your Trust name along with city and state! You'll need a re-crowning kit for the Thompson and a barrel facing tool for it along with a shotgun facing tool. Brownells and Midway carry them.

Now onto the magazine bases. Just as a side note. GI mags will not lock into a SA Thompson unless you file the mag lock hole on the front of the magazine.

To Make my magazine base I started with a block of balsa wood from a local hobby shop. I shaped the balsa wood wood block into a magazine base. Then I kept coating the balsa wood base with elmer's white glue. This was so when I cased the base it would be a smooth casing that would release easily from the casting material.

35cop3p.jpg

The mock balsa wood base is tested for look with modified 20 round GI mag

6hlx8o.jpg

ela7fb.jpg

After finishing the balsa wood mag base. Its time to make a mold using the resin casting kit. Once the mold is fully cured you can carefully cut the mold open and remove the balsa block. Then mix and pour your resin into the mold. I was able to get a bunch of resin bases cast from the same mold before it became deformed.

Here is a resin base epoxied to the magazine. (We'll see if this hold up) My next option will be having a machine shop make bases. But didn't want to add more weight since the gun is already heaving considering the steel Thompson receiver... the 870... plus the aluminum shrouds and other metal add-ons.

24cec8x.jpg

11qodaw.jpg

One more complete picture....
2hmlwxs.jpg

and one on the scale... coming in at a whopping 30lbs! Not very practical but who cares? LOL.... but I don't think recoil will be an issue at all.

11kl7yo.jpg

cool video of the hero movie prop shooting... makes me wish mine was FA.

[video=youtube_share;83OpGosZwyY]http://youtu.be/83OpGosZwyY[/video]

I also found this fantastic video from the movie armorers. Makes me want to build the smartgun or the flame thrower...

[video=youtube_share;LlSG1H0whh8]http://youtu.be/LlSG1H0whh8[/video]

friggin AWESOME dude. one of my fave action flicks of all time. great job.
I'm enjoying this. Very nice!

Thanks Guys.. thank you for checking in on my project.

Video of it shooting

Its in the works in the next few months. Putting together a nice video talking about the build. Once we get some more daylight and a little warmer outside I'll take it to my local gun club... run a few mags through it and some shot shells through it for this video.

In the meantime I've been tinkering with the counter and trying to engineer something that will work.

I've also been researching my next working movie gun build ideas and trying to decide what to start next in my downtime. A few of them look they are either cost prohibitive or I'm going to have to do some serious looking for obsolete parts to build them, or machining parts from scratch.

I've also been researching my next working movie gun build ideas and trying to decide what to start next in my downtime. A few of them look they are either cost prohibitive or I'm going to have to do some serious looking for obsolete parts to build them, or machining parts from scratch.

like what?

like what?

- Been thinking about getting a semi auto M53 (MG42 clone) and building the M56 Smartgun from aliens.... the gun is expensive. Plus the steadicam arm and harness are expensive as all hell. Plus the build will require parts from two obsolete kawasaki motorcycles that weren't sold in the US and only from '83 and '84 models. So this would be a be a very slow build as budget allows.

- The M240 Flame thrower from aliens is temping as its some butchered AR parts upper and lower parts and a M203 hand guard along with some small custom parts. I know I could make this work but it makes me nervous playing with a liquid fueled flame thrower. But damn it would really compliment my Pulse Rifle build.

- Robocop Auto-9 I'd have to do some custom work on a SA Beretta 92. The longer barrel baffles me since I'm not very knowledgeable on the 92 at all. I'm still trying to find info on that. It would need custom grips... and a custom machined compensator.

- The AMT hardballer longslide from Terminator looks fairly simple

I've also looked at the construction of the T2 Endo rifles

-

Real Aliens M41A Pulse Rifle Build (Fully Functional SBR & SBS)

- Been thinking about getting a semi auto M53 (MG42 clone) and building the M56 Smartgun from aliens.... the gun is expensive. Plus the steadicam arm and harness are expensive as all hell. Plus the build will require parts from two obsolete kawasaki motorcycles that weren't sold in the US and only from '83 and '84 models. So this would be a be a very slow build as budget allows.

- The M240 Flame thrower from aliens is temping as its some butchered AR parts upper and lower parts and a M203 hand guard along with some small custom parts. I know I could make this work but it makes me nervous playing with a liquid fueled flame thrower. But damn it would really compliment my Pulse Rifle build.

- Robocop Auto-9 I'd have to do some custom work on a SA Beretta 92. The longer barrel baffles me since I'm not very knowledgeable on the 92 at all. I'm still trying to find info on that. It would need custom grips... and a custom machined compensator.

- The AMT hardballer longslide from Terminator looks fairly simple

I've also looked at the construction of the T2 Endo rifles

-

I wish I had the link saved . A cosplay person made the auto 9. I guess a few places make the parts .

If you can do the 80% the mg42/m53 can be done for under 1k. But like you said the other parts will kill you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom