• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ready to rock at the home front - your thoughts?

Okay,

You can't tell me there isn't a part of each and every one of us as gun owners that hasn't contemplated their current state of readiness when it comes to home defense and the possibility of invasion. I consider myself pretty grounded in these matters as I am not some vigilante looking to settle a score; however, I am concerned about the proper approach to keeping firearms at the ready in my home in the event some scumbag(s) come busting in unannounced.

A few key facts:
1) I live in MA (hopefully not for much longer) so the laws are complex and cumbersome
2) I have kids but they're grown and out of the house
3) I have a wife who is somewhat indifferent to the gun thing. She is not afraid of a loaded gun being around, but she isn't an avid follower either

I like the idea of multiple guns stationed throughout the house - say no more than 2-3. My thinking is that you never know where in the house you will be when trouble comes a knocking. And it isn't reasonable to carry one gun with you every time you move from point A to point B in the home.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:
1) How to keep multiple guns loaded and ready to rock (quick access) throughout the house (again 2-3 guns)
2) Accomplish the above while being compliant with MA gun laws

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated as always.

Russ

Thinking: get smaller combo lock and key quality safes that are "almost" opened with one more combo to go, but the key is nearby. It's easier to hide a key than it is to hide an arm while being MA compliant and reducing fumble-time if it's "go" time.

Before anything, get the wife LTC'd so no matter what she chooses (whether or not to become as familiar w/ guns as you), at least she's licensed and can possibly mitigate some legal fallout. Hopefully, someday she will be more agreeable.

This happens when "the shit" comes looking for good people minding their own business:

https://youtu.be/87VOCsN1Vq0

Last edited:
Options

To be compliant with MA laws, the gun needs to be locked when you are not in direct control of it. In my opinion it is also prudent to use devices that make theft of your firearm more difficult (in case of break in when you are not at home, which is more probable, and also for storage in vehicles), so regular trigger-locks are out. So your options would be, listed from most expensive to least:

1) Build and install some custom hidden compartments (with biometric locks) in different rooms of your house.
2) Several small biometric gun safes (bolted down or chained to something heavy).
3) Several small lockboxes such as the Gunvault Nanos that use combination codes of some sort (bolted down or chained to something heavy).
4) The same lockboxes are available for cheaper if they are key access only, you then would have to have the key on you at all times, maybe wear it around your neck on a simple ball chain.
5) Wear the damn gun most of the time.

In my opinion/experience, it's completely reasonable, and easier to have one gun on you at home, 75% of the time. If you are really relaxing and you want to be wearing little or no clothing (e.g. sleeping), just take your home defense gun (pistol I'm assuming here for ease of storage/access), and put it in the above mentioned small lockbox, and place it near wherever you are relaxing/sleeping. If you feel you need to investigate something, take the gun out of the box (along with the flashlight you have in there at night so you can identify anything you might need to shoot, or not shoot).

A biometric access safe has its advantages, but they tend to be bigger and heavier and more expensive. A good place to put one would be your bedroom, so if you wake up in the middle of the night and need your gun, all you have to do is push a button and place your finger on a pad.

As your question is mostly about home invasion/defense, don't forget to fortify the access points of your home. Solid doors, good locks and deadbolts, reinforced strike plates / door frames (I have had good experience with Door Devil), and an alarm system / yappy dog will give you enough time to access your gun if you don't have it on you when somebody decides to break in.

Last edited:
richc and Timber have a company that makes sweet setups for securing weapons in strategic places. Ping him for info. I forget the name but the product delivers.

1) move out of MA
2) don't live in the city

Not necessarily true for a break in scenario, but an invasion of some sort isn't going to happen in the woods. I live far enough away from Boston that I would have at least a days notice before shit hit the fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay,

You can't tell me there isn't a part of each and every one of us as gun owners that hasn't contemplated their current state of readiness when it comes to home defense and the possibility of invasion. I consider myself pretty grounded in these matters as I am not some vigilante looking to settle a score; however, I am concerned about the proper approach to keeping firearms at the ready in my home in the event some scumbag(s) come busting in unannounced.

A few key facts:
1) I live in MA (hopefully not for much longer) so the laws are complex and cumbersome
2) I have kids but they're grown and out of the house
3) I have a wife who is somewhat indifferent to the gun thing. She is not afraid of a loaded gun being around, but she isn't an avid follower either

I like the idea of multiple guns stationed throughout the house - say no more than 2-3. My thinking is that you never know where in the house you will be when trouble comes a knocking. And it isn't reasonable to carry one gun with you every time you move from point A to point B in the home.

I am looking for suggestions on the following:
1) How to keep multiple guns loaded and ready to rock (quick access) throughout the house (again 2-3 guns)
2) Accomplish the above while being compliant with MA gun laws

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated as always.

Russ

I keep a Mossberg with the mag tube loaded, empty chamber, and for end release in with one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Lok-Gunlok-Gun-Lock-locks/dp/B00JXYJZW8

It pops off instantly and all you have to do is rack the for end. It does have pins that you can custom configure to prevent it from slipping around in the trigger guard but I'm not comfortable manipulating a trigger lock with a round chambered so I choose to keep it as above.

Then I have two guns stashed in the house in these.

http://www.gunvault.com/mv500-std-microvault.html

I have a young son so I'd be doing this regardless of the MA storage law.

1. load guns
2. disperse around house
3. who the hell is gonna know

I'll take really, really bad advice that could lead to disaster for 1000, Alex.

I once had a medical emergency in my house. When you call an ambulance who arrives first and what do they do when they get there? If you guessed the police and looking through your shit while you're not paying attention you'd be correct. If my guns weren't legally stored that day I'd have been off to jail.....

So...Plant a couple of trees in your backyard and your safe? Crime is everywhere. It's in your backyard, it's in the city, in the berbs, and in the woods! If you think its not, then you should re-assess why you have guns and possibly move to somewhere like the moon where there is no crime!

1) move out of MA

Not necessarily true for a break in scenario, but an invasion of some sort isn't going to happen in the woods. I live far enough away from Boston that I would have at least a days notice before shit hit the fan.

So...Plant a couple of trees in your backyard and your safe? Crime is everywhere. It's in your backyard, it's in the city, in the berbs, and in the woods! If you think its not, then you should re-assess why you have guns and possibly move to somewhere like the moon where there is no crime!

Maybe you should re-read my post before commenting with such a snide remark. But I understand it's fun to be the first one to hop on the humor train.

In an invasion type scenario, in Boston, I live far enough away to have notice. Where someone living in Cambridge might not get notice. I also don't have to deal with riots and protests, no one comes to Mason to do that.

Crime certainly is everywhere. But I'm comfortable knowing that if someone were to break into my house, for whatever reason, the law will be on my side. Rather than being against me, which would be the case in MA.

I think we're using the word "invasion" in two different contexts here.

Great advice from all the people who responded as they have assessed and figured out their own home situations. Each layout is different and everyone has a different amount of people coming and going at any time. All that and more has to be taken into consideration. If you haven't already you should sign up to take a home defense course. Several people out here offer them. Probably would be a good place to start. Also consider taking that course that is being offered about Mass Gun laws and any other self defense with a firearm course. The more you know the better.

With the knowledge you obtain from those experts it should give you a better idea of how, in what and where to keep a firearms for the situation you describe.

There was a thread floating around yesterday about where to hide a firearm in your home as well. You could discuss that with any of the instructors as well.

Good luck.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...nique-Places-to-Stash-Firearms?highlight=hide

Last edited:
I have a safe hidden on each floor of my house with 2 guns in each ready to go. However I carry 100% of the time I am home except for when I am sleeping so these are more for back up or a middle of the night trip to get a drink or something.

I just carry in a holster at home.

If someone really kicks in the door you just dont have time to unlock a gun.

So very true. Also fine motor skills go to hell when you experience an adrenaline rush like that!

I'll take really, really bad advice that could lead to disaster for 1000, Alex.

I once had a medical emergency in my house. When you call an ambulance who arrives first and what do they do when they get there? If you guessed the police and looking through your shit while you're not paying attention you'd be correct. If my guns weren't legally stored that day I'd have been off to jail.....

This happens all the time!! We all have a lot more unplanned exposure than we'd ever like to think about.

If you are thinking about riots, you are correct.

HOWEVER, home invasions happen everywhere. That said, TPTB in suburbs don't like the bad publicity so you aren't likely to ever hear about them unless you listen to a scanner!! I live 20+ miles from Boston and have heard some "interesting" home invasions on the scanner, never read a word about them in the published police blotter.

Great advice from all the people who responded as they have assessed and figured out their own home situations. Each layout is different and everyone has a different amount of people coming and going at any time. All that and more has to be taken into consideration. If you haven't already you should sign up to take a home defense course. Several people out here offer them. Probably would be a good place to start. Also consider taking that course that is being offered about Mass Gun laws and any other self defense with a firearm course. The more you know the better.

With the knowledge you obtain from those experts it should give you a better idea of how, in what and where to keep a firearms for the situation you describe.

There was a thread floating around yesterday about where to hide a firearm in your home as well. You could discuss that with any of the instructors as well.

To the OP:

I teach the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class (look in Training forum/go to website, haven't published next classes here yet) that is a good start on preparing your house and avoiding becoming a victim like Rob mentions above. Learning the intricacies of MA gun law is also very important, for which I teach MA Gun Law Seminar, that runs 5+ hours on the finer points of law.

keep in mind that you want those guns hidden from view. Lets say wife leaves the house with the back door ajar. Wind blows, door opens, and alarm goes off. Cops are called by alarm company to investigate, they see open back door, and sweep the house. See a loaded gun sitting on top of your night stand......[sad2]

Right, I was talking about riots, invasions from other countries, etc. Of course home break-ins can happen anywhere.

The chance (outside the cities) of a riot/invasion/zombie attack is really super-close to zero. The chance of home invasions is much, much higher these days.

I understand it needs to be locked when I am not in direct control, but can it be loaded and locked and considered legal?

Yes it can in a house.

The chance (outside the cities) of a riot/invasion/zombie attack is really super-close to zero. The chance of home invasions is much, much higher these days.

Yes it can in a house.

This has probably been answered before before but are you compliant if you have a safe in your camper with a gun loaded and locked in it and your not around?

It's not ideal, but I sprinkle pepper spray canisters around the house. If I'm not carrying I figure that at least gives me a chance to get to a gun or get out of the house. My kitchen is full of knives, I have blunt/pokey/stabby/hitty things in pretty much every room. I have a couple panic buttons for the alarm that would at least help disorient any intruder(s) and give me another opportunity to get where I need to go.

I guess what I'm saying is you don't need to have illegally stashed guns throughout your house to give yourself a fighting chance. You should do a likelihood/consequence tradeoff for yourself and decide what is best for your situation.

If for some reason police have reason to come into your home, and your firearms are not secured, they WILL charge you, and the new storage statute may make you a Federal Prohibited Person

How about just carry on you at all times? If you need to unholster and leave it unsecure while you are home, strategically place a few lockboxes around the house to "act" as secure storage.

If for some reason police have reason to come into your home, and your firearms are not secured, they WILL charge you, and the new storage statute may make you a Federal Prohibited Person
If you are the one calling the cops and allowing them into your house, you should probably already have a way to secure the firearm prior to their arrival. If someone else calls them on you and you let them enter without a warrant, you've already major league ****ed up anyways.

Last edited:
If you are the one calling the cops and allowing them into your house, you should probably already have a way to secure the firearm prior to their arrival. If someone else calls them on you and you let them enter without a warrant, you've already major league ****ed up anyways.

Someone having a heart attack may well dial 911 and not be able to secure all those hidden guns before the cavalry arrive.

1) move out of MA

I think he means "home invasion", not "the Russians are coming!"

OP, get some Tactical Walls. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Someone having a heart attack may well dial 911 and not be able to secure all those hidden guns before the cavalry arrive.

Len, can they legally search the house for firearms if they respond to a heart attack, or do they need some kind of pretext, like they see a firearm on your couch etc?

Back
Top Bottom