Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

Put you in jail for Real ID? I think your tinfoil hat is on a bit too tight.

For failing to have the correct ID. That's the way all this shit starts.

Maybe it's not "arrest you" at first, but it might be "can't go into Federal buildings or an airplane" and then it's "can't go into sports arenas", then "can't drive", then it's "can't go on public streets"

Sure, that's a long way down the road, but every step like this gets us closer.

"It'll never happen" isn't really much consolation unless you don't care at all about the next generation.

I didn't say I was in favor of anything

Read more carefully, "...or not object to"

"that ship has sailed, so who cares?" (paraphrased)

Maybe it's not "arrest you" at first, but it might be "can't go into Federal buildings or an airplane" and then it's "can't go into sports arenas", then "can't drive", then it's "can't go on public streets"

"It'll never happen" isn't really much consolation unless you don't care at all about the next generation.

If we reach the point where you need a yellow star on your ID to walk down the road, it wont matter. They'll be running facial rec and know who you are anyway

There is no added fee. Just some additional stuff you need to bring with you when you renew your license.

I was responding to someone who was talking about pre / global entry.

In any case, I don't need one more super special stamp from .gov that indicates it's ok for me to do something. I have enough of those already.

It was already discussed earlier I believe that what happens when you have to go into a federal courthouse because you’re required to by law and you don’t have your real ID?

They don’t let you in, you miss your court date, and you get a bench warrant and you’re arrested..

So the argument that “they’re not gonna arrest you over a real ID” doesn’t really hold water

It was already discussed earlier I believe that what happens when you have to go into a federal courthouse because you’re required to by law and you don’t have your real ID?

They don’t let you in, you miss your court date, and you get a bench warrant and you’re arrested..

So the argument that “they’re not gonna arrest you over a real ID” doesn’t really hold water

Yes, that's right... for now.

Would you use the same argument for gun control laws?

Look at the gun laws in 1967, then in 1968. I seem to remember they didn't stop there.

If we reach the point where you need a yellow star on your ID to walk down the road, it wont matter. They'll be running facial rec and know who you are anyway

OK. But that doesn't make it a good idea to help.

Throw sand in the gears. Make it harder. Don't be a collaborator.

Received a letter yesterday that my Real ID Drivers License is up for renewal next month. So in 5 years since I have had it the program is still on fully active.

I saw that I could renew on line, so just did it. Process took about 5 minute. Should receive it in the mail 7/10 days, and conformation email received.

im not debating the Pros / Cons of Real ID, but the renewal process was pretty darn easy. Not what we are used too when dealing with the RMV.
The photo on your Mass drivers license is good for about 14 years, now.

You can renew 2 times, I think.

I'm thrilled about this because I have the most epic beard imaginable that I could not ever grow again without lots of work.

I can keep renewing for a long time.

Well, it's already signed into law (2005). Good luck getting it repealed.

It's not universal ID. Each state still has their own ID's, and each has different standards to obtain a REAL ID. We get people coming in from FL, MA, wherever each day. They complain since they already have "REAL ID", but NH has different requirements to issue it, so they need to meet NH standards in order to get it.

Probably not, since each state sets different requirements.

Must be you are not a Vet, who'll need to get into the VA. Or you'll never have to travel by air. I'm not getting a passport (no need; I can barely afford to cross a state border for a weekend getaway, let alone go to another country), but do have family in other states who are older. I may need to get there in a hurry, by air.

ETA: I'm not in favor of, or opposed to, REAL ID. I've had customers who come in and can get a passport, but can't get REAL ID because of things like missing marriage/divorce licenses.
I’m a veteran and I don’t go to the VA. The only federal building I have been to in the last year has been the post office.

The discussion of the Federal court not allowing someone called for Jury duty was pure speculation on NES and not based on any actual cases.

I searched around, I must be the only person on NES that uses Google, and found this.

The question is asked and there is an answer.

Could this change? - maybe. But it would make for an interesting case if someone was arrasted for not having ID.

This doesn't address other issues where an ID can be made mandatory.

I didn't read every link, so I would love for someone to post a case of someone getting arrested because the person wasn't allowed to enter a Federal Court for jury duty.

Last edited:

The discussion of the Federal court not allowing someone called for Jury duty was pure speculation on NES and not based on any actual cases.

I searched around, I must be the only person on NES that uses Google, and found this.

The question is asked and there is an answer.

Could this change? - maybe. But it would make for an interesring if someone was arrasted for not having ID.

This doesn't address other issues where an ID can be made mandatory.

I didn't read every link, so I would love for someone to post a case of someone getting arrested because the person wasn't allowed to enter a Federal Court for jury duty.
Good read… I guess I should’ve been more informed or Google but if I’m not gonna take the time to get a real ID I’m not that interested in it other than just bitching about it.

Also the articles of 2019 and states that by 2020 he will need a real ID to fly domestically…
That hasn’t happened yet there’s still other options

Good read… I guess I should’ve been more informed or Google but if I’m not gonna take the time to get a real ID I’m not that interested in it other than just bitching about it.

Also the articles of 2019 and states that by 2020 he will need a real ID to fly domestically…
That hasn’t happened yet there’s still other options
Well, yes. Finding an answer to that specific question was not easy, that question being if a lack of REAL ID could prevent someone from jury duty and result in trouble.

REAL ID has been a mess thanks to States like MA.

Anyway, since it is not mandatory today to have a DL or passport, and I don't hear of people getting arrested by a court for that, it makes sense that it won't be an issue for REAL ID.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if REAL ID doesn't become something we are issued at birth like a SSN. In Latin America they have something called "DNI" (National Idendity Document), it is like a SSN and you use that as an ID if you don't have a DL or passport. The DNI is also on the passport and they ask you to write the number on the receipt when doing credit card purchases.

If they want to make REAL ID mandatory for everyone, that is the way they will move, or they will start accepting social security numbers. They accept them for taxes, 4473, employment, they are required for REAL ID ... so why not just use that?

Well, yes. Finding an answer to that specific question was not easy, that question being if a lack of REAL ID could prevent someone from jury duty and result in trouble.

REAL ID has been a mess thanks to States like MA.

Anyway, since it is not mandatory today to have a DL or passport, and I don't hear of people getting arrested by a court for that, it makes sense that it won't be an issue for REAL ID.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if REAL ID doesn't become something we are issued at birth like a SSN. In Latin America they have something called "DNI" (National Idendity Document), it is like a SSN and you use that as an ID if you don't have a DL or passport. The DNI is also on the passport and they ask you to write the number on the receipt when doing credit card purchases.

If they want to make REAL ID mandatory for everyone, that is the way they will move, or they will start accepting social security numbers. They accept them for taxes, 4473, employment, they are required for REAL ID ... so why not just use that?
Those are all very valid point… it is becoming increasingly difficult to realize the final results of most of what the government does..

The only issue I see with issuing a real ID at birth.
We’d have to issue them to everybody born in the entire world or else I will all these illegals get one?

I’m half joking and I’m half serious. I just see no benefit to the real ID concept.

It’s almost to the point where it doesn’t make sense at all for flying, because our government loves to fly illegal immigrants all over the place, even back where they belong

Those are all very valid point… it is becoming increasingly difficult to realize the final results of most of what the government does..

The only issue I see with issuing a real ID at birth.
We’d have to issue them to everybody born in the entire world or else I will all these illegals get one?

I’m half joking and I’m half serious. I just see no benefit to the real ID concept.

It’s almost to the point where it doesn’t make sense at all for flying, because our government loves to fly illegal immigrants all over the place, even back where they belong
Works the same as a SSN.

You get one at birth.

An immigrant gets one when they get their green card, sometimes before when they apply for a work permit, but I believe that one says "temporary" or "valid for work only".

Anyway, the U.S. is moving in this national ID direction. We already have SSN, next step will be a national ID that can be used for everything (except driving and international trips).

I made my appointment today (yes still doing that) - none available in Leominster so I'm going to Greenfield March 17th 9:10AM. I'm going to try and upgrade to Real-ID, I have multiple documents that 'should' meet the requirements - but this is the Mass RMV. I'm even going to try and get my Veteran upgrade (yes I have my DD-214 from over 30 years ago).

The issue I expect - I have two middle names and am a Junior. So, some paperwork shows all, some just my first middle initial and some no Junior. If I can't get the Real-ID, it won't bother me as I carry my Passport-ID card always (in case I want to escape to Canada on short notice [smile])

I made my appointment today (yes still doing that) - none available in Leominster so I'm going to Greenfield March 17th 9:10AM. I'm going to try and upgrade to Real-ID, I have multiple documents that 'should' meet the requirements - but this is the Mass RMV. I'm even going to try and get my Veteran upgrade (yes I have my DD-214 from over 30 years ago).

The issue I expect - I have two middle names and am a Junior. So, some paperwork shows all, some just my first middle initial and some no Junior. If I can't get the Real-ID, it won't bother me as I carry my Passport-ID card always (in case I want to escape to Canada on short notice [smile])
AAA for the win.

Good luck with the RMV idiots, I hope you don't lose too many IQ points while trying to deal with their BS.

Yeah, let's just do this...

View attachment 729884

NzM1MjA3LmpwZw

Not sure about MA. NH does it by "Primary document". If you are using a birth certificate, that is the name they put on your license. If using a passport, that is the name they use for your license. John James Smith, Jr. might be on the BC, but he may only have John Smith, Jr. or John J. Smith on his passport.

He could have been born John James Smith, and later had a child, so he wouldn't know he's "Sr." until then. If using a passport, he could have "Sr." on that to put on his license, or get a court name change (expensive). Not good if you want to use your license for FFL purchases, and the Feds are requring the whole name. Leave it to .Gov to muck up between the states and the Feds.

Mrs. Smith would need a BC and marriage license and/or divorce certificates if that happened, and must have a complete "chain" of name changes; or, she could use a passport with her current name.

There was no additional cost to me to take my social security card, passport, and what not out of my bureau.
Isn't that special that you have those things in your bureau?

If you escaped a house fire tonight in nothing but your underwear, how would you replace those documents?

I can tell you: it's not free, not easy, and not even cheap. SSA requires a BC and photo ID. Photo ID requires BC and SSA card and other proofs of identity. Getting a BC requires proof of ID. It's all circular.

Getting vital documents from another state can require either traveling there in person, or paying a hundred bucks or so to their scam contractor of choice.

Isn't that special that you have those things in your bureau?

If you escaped a house fire tonight in nothing but your underwear, how would you replace those documents?

I can tell you: it's not free, not easy, and not even cheap. SSA requires a BC and photo ID. Photo ID requires BC and SSA card and other proofs of identity. Getting a BC requires proof of ID. It's all circular.

Getting vital documents from another state can require either traveling there in person, or paying a hundred bucks or so to their scam contractor of choice.
Get a replacement DL online - assuming you also lost the DL in a fire.

As long as you memorized your SSN, that should be fine.

Use DL to get birth certificate.
Then you can get a replacement SSN.
A marriage certificate might be needed which only required a DL.

As long as you can get a replacement DL, it should be fine.

From MA RMV:

SmartSelect_20230310_094420_Chrome.jpg

Passport or passport card. Nice way to comply with showing official govt ID without the ID having your current address on it. Yes I realize they can simply look it up in the system so its sort of a moot point, but it's cheeky and I like it.

When we moved to NH, I couldn't find our birth certificates. We ordered new BCs and marriage certificate online only from Boston area town clerks. I don't recall ever having to send them any docs to do this. Each one cost $10-15. IIRC, we also had to order a new SS card. None of this was a big deal (prior to Covid shutdowns) and took ~2 weeks to get them all to us.

You are kinda correct.. I had to get one because I deliver to Natick Labs...

Could always quit though :)

Works the same as a SSN.

You get one at birth.

But you don't have to get a SSN at birth. Sure it is a pain to avoid getting one but it can be done and is perfectly legal. I know a guy who is a Sovereign Citizen nutjob. He did not get SSN for either of his kids. They are around 7 and 4 give or take a year and as far as I know they still do not have SSNs.

When we moved to NH, I couldn't find our birth certificates. We ordered new BCs and marriage certificate online only from Boston area town clerks. I don't recall ever having to send them any docs to do this. Each one cost $10-15. IIRC, we also had to order a new SS card. None of this was a big deal (prior to Covid shutdowns) and took ~2 weeks to get them all to us.

It wouldn't have been a big deal for me if I didn't have a CDL.. EVERYTHING is a pain in the ass, renewals are more expensive, have to pay extra for endorsements and everything has to be done in person except self certifying after a DOT physical, they FINALLY made it so you don't have to snail mail a copy.

Back
Top Bottom