• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

There is no need to mail anything. If you have your BC you have satisfied the requiremen.

The RMV is wrong. You only need one item from box three.

Bob

As far as mailing my BC to the SS Office that is what they want so I can get my new SS Card...

As far as the RMV... When has the RMV made any since??? If you say something to them they just dig in even more and cause more problems... I tried pointing that out to them and they said "Next" (to the next person in line)... I said "Ahhh I'm not done... The RMV person said "Yes you are"...

We were able to order an original Birth Certificate from the city/towns that we were born in, all via websites. Take a look and see if you can get a duplicate original that way.

Ya they may have "relaxed" their rules now with Covid further along... It was right at the beginning of Covid when I was trying to do this... Things have changed some now that "rules" have been relaxed...

Last edited:
Ya they may have "relaxed" their rules now with Covid further along... It was right at the beginning of Covid when I was trying to do this... Things have changed some know that "rules" have been relaxed...
We ordered the BCs back in 2019, before COVID.

As far as mailing my BC to the SS Office that is what they want so I can get my new SS Card...

As far as the RMV... When has the RMV made any since??? If you say something to them they just dig in even more and cause more problems... I tried pointing that out to them and they said "Next" (to the next person in line)... I said "Ahhh I'm not done... The RMV person said "Yes you are"...

As others have suggested you can get another BC and send one in for you SS card.

The RMV sucks. You can always try another branch or another teller. I avoid them as much as humanly possible. That’s why I did it at AAA.

Either way I would organize it as a packet using the RMV checklist as a cover sheet. if you have any other qualifying documents I would bring them and hold them back in case anything gets rejected.

Bob

As others have suggested you can get another BC and send one in for you SS card.

The RMV sucks. You can always try another branch or another teller. I avoid them as much as humanly possible. That’s why I did it at AAA.

Either way I would organize it as a packet using the RMV checklist as a cover sheet. if you have any other qualifying documents I would bring them and hold them back in case anything gets rejected.

Bob

Yup that what I did, I used that RMV Checklist for getting what I needed together...

I just thought the RMV might accept the laminated SS Card seeing that is all I had, NOPE!!!

I'm working on that now... I'm either going to go to Westfield or go onto the Westfield website and see if I can get one...
When I was 1st trying it was at the beginning of the China Virus and everything was getting closed down...

I have everything else I need, it's just the SS Card I'm waiting on... I'll solve that when I get more BC's from Westfield... Then I'll have one to mail to the SS Office... Who knows, maybe the SS Office will open up again soon, [rofl][rofl][rofl]...

After that I'll have what I need for the RMV...
The only thing I didn't have for the RMV was the SS Card (mine was laminated)...

Ya the person at the RMV was an idiot, but she was following the rules, they don't accept laminated SS cards...

I might try AAA, if I remember there's one in WestSpringfield...

Yup that what I did, I used that RMV Checklist for getting what I needed together...

I just thought the RMV might accept the laminated SS Card seeing that is all I had, NOPE!!!

I'm working on that now... I'm either going to go to Westfield or go onto the Westfield website and see if I can get one...
When I was 1st trying it was at the beginning of the China Virus and everything was getting closed down...

I have everything else I need, it's just the SS Card I'm waiting on... I'll solve that when I get more BC's from Westfield... Then I'll have one to mail to the SS Office... Who knows, maybe the SS Office will open up again soon, [rofl][rofl][rofl]...

After that I'll have what I need for the RMV...
The only thing I didn't have for the RMV was the SS Card (mine was laminated)...

Ya the person at the RMV was an idiot, but she was following the rules, they don't accept laminated SS cards...

I might try AAA, if I remember there's one in WestSpringfield...

They are brutal. I think it’s in the job description.

I used the AAA in West Springfield. Thye were great.

Bob

Same with me before Covid went to a AAA office waited in line for over a hour only to be told my 1970s laminated SS Card was no good. They tell me go to the SS Gov website to order a new card its easy. Tried doing it online at the website would not accept my information no good. So I had to go in person to the Social Security Office Waltham MA and wait over 4 hours to submit my paper work and forms to one of the workers. They accepted it and mailed me a new SS card 2 weeks later. What a PIA !!

You are missing my point, I'm trying to get a new SS card because the RMV will not accept mine because it's laminated...

It's box 3 that is screwing me up with the RMV...

Box 1 = I'm all set, I have my BC... I am not mailing it to the SS office to get a new card though...
Box 2 = Does not apply...
Box 3 = Yes I have the 1099 but the RMV is saying the way they read Box 3 is that I also need the SS card...

So like I said, it's Box 1 and Box 3 that is screwing me up...

This isn’t complicated. You don’t need a SS card for True ID.
I haven’t seen mine for a solid 40 years.
You don’t need the original BC. A copy is 100% ok providing it has the raised seal. My copy came from the City of Boston.

Same with me before Covid went to a AAA office waited in line for over a hour only to be told my 1970s laminated SS Card was no good. They tell me go to the SS Gov website to order a new card its easy. Tried doing it online at the website would not accept my information no good. So I had to go in person to the Social Security Office Waltham MA and wait over 4 hours to submit my paper work and forms to one of the workers. They accepted it and mailed me a new SS card 2 weeks later. What a PIA !!
Same thing except I didn’t want wait in line. Went back to RMV and used different IDs

Why are you sheep getting this “real I’d card “ ? I have no intention of going along with any of this ?
Sometimes a guy just gets tired of being a moody loner with assault rifles and masturbating to old Soldier Of Fortune magazines in a basement while forwarding Facebook articles and might just want to fly across the country.

Sometimes a guy just gets tired of being a moody loner with assault rifles and masturbating to old Soldier Of Fortune magazines in a basement while forwarding Facebook articles and might just want to fly across the country.
And our country won't let you fly without you papers ? You've got to do something about tgat.

We've crossed that bridge already. Want to buy Sudafed? Papers please! Want to buy a pack of smokes or booze? They can request your papers or send you on your way empty handed. Ammo? Papers please! Get into numerous office building and .gov buildings? Papers please! The list goes on...
But not at the border !!!! All set walk right in, Oh wait we get you a Bus or plane Ticket.

The current deadline is October 1, 2021 for TSA and certain government facilities.

Considering I am a frequent flier with Global Entry and TSA Pre-Check, there's not much they don't already know about me...
And your Global Entry card works just fine as REAL ID, no need to get your DL upgraded if you have Global Entry, a passport card, or a valid passport.

I've had Real ID since my last DR renewal in '19. When the Covid-19 meshugaas stops, I'll have to fly occasionally for work. My wife and I plan on traveling to see her family every couple of years. Honestly, it didn't bother me that much to make it easier for me to fly in the future or get into a government building.

Not the original your parents got. Get a certified stamped copy with embossed seal from the town in which you were born. Certified copies are 5 to 15.00 avg price.

I'm trying to get the Real ID in MA...

I went into the RMV with all the info, the person told me that they will not accept my SS card because I laminated it...

So I go onto the SS website and do the "I need a new card" request and get an answer back that I can't get a card and have to go to my local SS office...
Well my local office is closed because of The Covid!!!
I make a phone call to SS, then wait on hold for an hour before someone answers...

I told them I need a new card and that the website tells me I can't get one...
The person I'm talking with says "OK no problem, just send this form along with your original Birth Certificate to us...

I said that I wasn't going to send you my original BC because I don't want it to get lost in the mail or at the SS office!!!
She answered back to me "Then you aren't getting a new card"... I asked her if she was just joking and she said "No, you have to send in the original"...

Now I'm not going to send the last copy of my BC that I have so I need to go to my Birth City and get new ones made...
OH YA, can't do that either because the City Clerks Office is CLOSED DUE TO COVID, Aaughhhhhhh!!!

Big deal, it took me 15 minutes to understand the requirements, half an hour to round up the documents and half an hour to drive to the nearest AAA. They reviewed my documents, I waited in line for half an hour, took a picture, paid $30 and two weeks later a new drivers license with a little star in the corner arrived.

I'd get on it now as I anticipate a sh!t show Oct 1 2020.
You know who else was once required to have a gold star for identification?

Back
Top Bottom