Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

Effective Oct. 1, 2020, travelers age 18 and older will need a REAL ID driver’s license or a passport to board an airplane for domestic flights. As of the end of September, just over 296,000 New Hampshire state residents have REAL ID-compliant identification documents, according to Elizabeth Bielecki, director of the state Division of Motor Vehicles. If they choose not to opt in, Bielicki said, travelers will need another form of documentation to board a plane or visit secure federal facilities. Other compliant forms of ID include passports, passport cards, military IDs, permanent resident cards and Department of Homeland Security trusted traveler cards (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST).
Ready or not, REAL ID is coming

Big deal, it took me 15 minutes to understand the requirements, half an hour to round up the documents and half an hour to drive to the nearest AAA. They reviewed my documents, I waited in line for half an hour, took a picture, paid $30 and two weeks later a new drivers license with a little star in the corner arrived.

I'd get on it now as I anticipate a sh!t show Oct 1 2020.

Don't fly, don't care.

That may work for you.
You might want to keep in mind that "accessing Federal facilities" will require a Real ID or a passport.
Which may not be an issue for you.

Actual verbiage:
Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

Source: Real ID Public FAQs

Big deal, it took me 15 minutes to understand the requirements, half an hour to round up the documents and half an hour to drive to the nearest AAA. They reviewed my documents, I waited in line for half an hour, took a picture, paid $30 and two weeks later a new drivers license with a little star in the corner arrived.

I'd get on it now as I anticipate a sh!t show Oct 1 2020.

The big deal is that it's a de-facto national ID card, which is one step closer to a "papers please" police state.

That may work for you.
You might want to keep in mind that "accessing Federal facilities" will require a Real ID or a passport.
Which may not be an issue for you.

Actual verbiage:
Starting October 1, 2020, every state and territory resident will need to present a REAL ID compliant license/ID, or another acceptable form of identification, for accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and boarding commercial aircraft. The card, itself, must be REAL ID compliant unless the resident is using an alternative acceptable document such as a passport. The Act does not require individuals to present identification where it is not currently required to access a Federal facility (such as to enter the public areas of the Smithsonian) nor does it prohibit an agency from accepting other forms of identity documents (such as a U.S. passport or passport card).

Source: Real ID Public FAQs
So if you get called for Federal Court jury duty, will they really deny you entrance without a Real ID/passport?

So if you get called for an IRS audit, will they really deny your entrance without a Real ID/passport?

So if you were convicted of a Federal crime, will they really deny you entrance to prison to serve your sentence without a Real ID/passport?

So if you must Mail a letter/package at a USPO window, will they really deny your entrance without a Real ID/passport?

Sorry, I'd say that the first three will get a pass and other than the USPO, I can't think of any Federal facility that I'd ever want to enter??

Back
Top Bottom