Reading man arrested for intimidation, etc...

I can hear it now "hurr durr!!! exigent circumstances blah blah"

Welllll... I was thinking about that.

They knew his name, knew where he was, knew he had a gun (which he’d discharged), and knew he DIDN’T have an LTC to go with that gun. Plus, they had three hours during the standoff to get a warrant and didn’t bother until afterwards.

They must not have needed one.

What's his Screen Name?

Dammit! You beat me to it lol

This rubs me the wrong way every time I see it. All it does is imply that we are scumbags just waiting to be caught and put in print.

I like to think the people on this board are responsible gun owners and not the type as in the article.

Close the non profit loophole.

If I may speculate on a link between two pieces of history.

1. History of the Greater Boston Police Council

In 1970, the City of Cambridge, Massachusetts, experienced a number of large civil disturbances in its
Harvard Square area. Assistance was requested and received from more than twenty-five neighboring
communities such that by the end of the first disturbance, more than 1,200 police officers were assembled in an attempt to quell the riots that had begun in protest to the Vietnam War. A major problem experienced by the Cambridge Police was that there was no way to command and control all
the police officers who were dispatched to Cambridge’s aid. ...​

(It's a one page history, single-spaced on letterhead. Read The Whole Thing).

-and-​

2. Wikipedia: North Eastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council
In late 2014, the group took down its website offline after the media noticed its "mission statement" page.

The disorder associated with suburban sprawl as people migrated from larger cities, the development of the interstate highway system, the civil rights movement and the growing resistance to the Vietnam War threatened to overwhelm the serenity of the quaint, idyllic New England towns north and west of Boston,
- NEMLEC mission statement

I bet that the "growing resistance to the Vietnam War" which "threatened to overwhelm the serenity of the quaint, idyllic New England towns north and west of Boston" is an allusion to those same Harvard Square riots. County government has atrophied in Massachusetts, and the smaller city/town police departments use NEMLEC, etc. to pool their resources in that environment.

Would one rather resurrect at least county police departments -
(if not full-blown county government) - to manage SWAT?

If one wants to pay that price to make SWAT an official arm of government
with all the legal ramifications (open meeting laws, civil service, etc)...well,
that's an argument one can make.

This rubs me the wrong way every time I see it. ...

I like to think the people on this board are responsible gun owners and not the type as in the article.
Some years ago during the heyday of The Sopranos on the Intarwebs,
a bunch of Italian-Americans on some forum were having a meltdown
over the indignity of being subjected to mafia jokes.

Until some wag shut it down with,

Admit it:
we all know people like this.​

Last edited:
Didn't they use this status to try to avoid providing info in response to FPIO/public record requests? Anyone here know how that turned out?

Yes, that is the reason I remember it. Will look for a result. There are lots of good stats in this link and some opinion. Worth the read about the growing 'need' for these teams.

ETA:

By Radley Balko

July 8, 2015
I reported last year that many of Massachusetts’s SWAT teams were claiming to be private corporations that were immune from public records requests. Last month, the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council (NEMLEC), the corporation that overseas that region’s SWAT teams, settled with the Massachusetts ACLU and released records related to how SWAT teams are used. A number of publications have since been sifting through the documents.

The results are similar to what we found in other situations in which these records have been made public — the widespread use of the kind of militarized tactics, weapons, and gear that was once reserved only for emergency situations, when lives were at immediate risk. Most notable: Of the 21 times a NEMLEC SWAT team was deployed to serve a search warrant for drugs, the SWAT team reported finding drugs just five times.

Here is a short video with some screen grabs of the previous NEMLEC web site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom