Reading, MA 2010 Highpower Schedule

Any/Any means that the rifle does not need to have a magazine capable of holding five rounds and it can have a scope.

B

amcaloon31, at the risk of sounding like Miss Manners, "lol...i can read." doesn't strike me as the best way to respond to someone responding to your somewhat vague question.

Perhaps, "I'm sorry bpm990d, I meant to ask what kinds/types of rifles and gear are typically used." would have sounded a tad more respectful.

I am not exactly sure why I was compelled to throw that out there... but there it is.

JR

i am not sure either. was my laughing (LOL) tone not made clear? And since we are splitting hairs...can you please discern for me the significant difference between my original question and your recommend question? If he took no offense why would you?

most guys are shooting something in the 6mm family...6br, 6xc...or old reliable .308

Okay... not to belabor the point... "what kind of rifles and setups do you typically see... ", Rifle makes? Calibers? Barrel types? Setups of rifle accessories? Setups of relays? Setups of distances? Setups of squads, target pulling? All of the above?

My rephrasing was just more specific about the question not concerning rules or the facilities, but strictly the stuff brought by shooters to the line.

And actually, it was the "LOL" that sounded (apparently mistakenly) like you were laughing at bpm990d for not being smart enough to discern that you had already read the any/any rules.

In any case... tempest in a teapot. You'll see everything from big cake custom rifles/barrels that guys can afford to quickly burn up with 6BR, and replace when needed, sitting on rigid mounts (belly-bench)... to bone stock tactical and varmint .223s and .308s on bipods, AR15s, AR10s, M14s on slings and open sights. Like that.

JR

Is club membership required to attend the practice sessions? I'm interested in attending CMP and LEG matches, but have no experience at 600yds. I know that the matches (or at least the ones I've looked at) are open to all attendees, but the practice descriptions don't mention who can attend.

Also, is it a reasonable assumption that it's expected for a match attendee to have some experience in working the pits before attending a match? I have a general idea of the process from reading / watching videos, but I'd hate to be fumbling in the pit for the first time while the clock is ticking against some other shooter. I'm hoping that the practice sessions will be a good place to get used to working both ends of the range.

You could also attend one of the League matches where you'll find a host of people and knowledge to help you and if no one steps up to help just ask for me.

Might have to take you up on that Duane. I'll be there in the AM for the start of the offhand championship matches, and God knows my offhand needs some help lol. I'll look for ya.

Also, is it a reasonable assumption that it's expected for a match attendee to have some experience in working the pits before attending a match?

Not really expected--you've got to start sometime (I suspect lots of people pull for the first time at a match) and it's really not that hard, but you should do some reading in advance so you know what's expected of you. The rulebook covers the procedures, and there are a bunch of good web pages as well. (If there are four relays, you'll have two people on your target in the pits, too, and you can get on-the-job training.) 99% of the time it's just "remove the spotter from the old hole and paste it, put the spotter disc in the new hole, and (maybe) move the scoring disk to indicate the value of the new shot".

Also realize that competitors have three jobs--there's shooting, there's pulling targets, and there's scoring, which means sitting behind the shooter with a scope and writing down the indicated scores on the shooter's score card, as well as keeping an eye out for various safety and procedural issues. Scoring correctly is at least as important as pulling targets, if not more so.

Aside from NFGA, there are also periodic clinics at Woburn Sportsmen's Assn and Mass Rifle that will give you a gentler introduction than a match. (Are there other area clubs with pits that I'm forgetting?)

Reading has a bunch of really serious rifle shooters, but they're also very helpful to the first-timer. I shot my first XTC match there, and while I probably made every mistake in the book nobody bit my head off. (I did get asked by the pit boss to take it easy getting the targets up and down, then got asked by my shooter for faster pit service, though. Sometimes you can't win!)

Good tutorial (in three parts) on scoring slow fire in the pits:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=668F7FE5E77137D4

Scoring at the pits at the Nationals at Camp Perry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-binhN91uA

Rulebook:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-index.pdf

Back
Top Bottom