• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Re-sizing cases/ case prep for .223/5.56 is a pain

With 2500 cartridges, at $175.00, starting your cost at 14cents for brass alone, what is your cost to reload .223?

Or 7cents, +misc costs adding up to 14cents each I'm guessing?

Well, I figure it this way:
Bullets @ .13 cents each
Powder @ .07 cents per
primer @ .04 cents per
plus processing @ .07 per

comes out to 31 cents each to reload. The brass: I bought a case of 4680 peices for $450 or so. It was new, primed, WCC, and I'm on my 4th loading with it. Call it 10 cents new, but that cost gets averaged down each time it's loaded.

I came at the costs this way:
1000ct case of Nosler 77HPBTM for $130 or so
Powder is a 5lb jug of RE15 for $100. Say 1400 loads per jug.
Rem 7-1/2 Primers are now $200+ for 5000 (can't find Wolf SRM anymore)

My math could be off, but $.31 or so (plus brass cost) gets me a sub-moa load out to 600yds. I don't load plinking ammo, so I'm guessing that might get a little cheaper.

Well, I figure it this way:
Bullets @ .13 cents each
Powder @ .07 cents per
primer @ .04 cents per
plus processing @ .07 per

comes out to 31 cents each to reload. The brass: I bought a case of 4680 peices for $450 or so. It was new, primed, WCC, and I'm on my 4th loading with it. Call it 10 cents new, but that cost gets averaged down each time it's loaded.

I came at the costs this way:
1000ct case of Nosler 77HPBTM for $130 or so
Powder is a 5lb jug of RE15 for $100. Say 1400 loads per jug.
Rem 7-1/2 Primers are now $200+ for 5000 (can't find Wolf SRM anymore)

My math could be off, but $.31 or so (plus brass cost) gets me a sub-moa load out to 600yds. I don't load plinking ammo, so I'm guessing that might get a little cheaper.

Look at it this way. People are paying $550/case for loaded 2MOA ammo. That $0.55/rd for inferior ammo.

Personally I enjoy having the ability to process brass myself so I bought stuff to do it. That said I do buy primed, unfired .308 LC brass occasionally.

I mentioned getting 300 cases an hour through my forster... I just timed myself at 38 seconds per 10 rounds... so in reality I am probably doing about 750 or so an hour considering stopping to measure, etc. For 80 bucks vs 400... for the amount I shoot now it is adequate.

With regard to cost, I just use range pickup brass, there is no shortage of that. I even stopped bothering to take it back for a while. The last batch I did was probably around 130ish/K... since I spent a little more for primers which has been my limiting factor as of late, that jumped to about 150. That is using new Hornady 55gr bullets at 7/each shipped. I still have a couple K left over.

Mike

I'm guessing it takes me at least a whole Saturday to clean, size, clean again, clean and uniform primer pockets, and then trim / chamfer / de-burr 2500 pieces of brass. $160 bucks (which is what the guy I use charges) to get a Saturday back is a no-brainier.

Last edited:
I use a work glove on the "push/twist" hand when running my Giraud.

Same. Otherwise blisters.

You rich bastards with your fancy gloves. I use an old sock on my hand when I do any prepping that could result in spinnage of the brass.

OP, I also use the World's Finest Trimmer and I'm with EC when he says just trim them all. Leave the drill spinning and hit every piece. If you trim them short enough (I forget right now where mine is set, 1.760" or so), the "gray beards" say the brass will be worn out before you ever need to trim it again.

All that work on 1200 cases in one sitting is epic. I spread it out over weeks [smile].

Back
Top Bottom