Re: "Sitrep from Puerto rico post Hurricane" in forum "Off Topic".

Discussion in 'Survival Forum' started by radarbob, Sep 28, 2017.

1. radarbob

radarbob Member

Fellow preppers: Don't miss this post!. A real life SHTF situation. Gov't. not able to help, most people unprepared. See what you could be overlooking if/when it happens where you are.

1 person likes this.

2. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Anyone want to weigh in?

Water? Katadyn x4. Berkey. Pool shock to make bleach. Borax and laundry soap stored ahead.

Food? Up to you, but I have some stored ahead.

Batteries? Bulk packs. Buy one a month until you're ahead. Flashlights on black Friday

Enough solar to recharge batteries.

Protection? Not mentioning specifics, but scopes matter.

And if you can see at night, it gives you an algorithmic force multiplier. Pick how you do it. Then practice with it some. Rule the night.

Coms? Baofeng, MURS and GMRS. Go ham or go home.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  3. Bill Katt

Bill Katt NES Member

Rechargeable...along with a solar charger as backup. [wink]

4. clampett

clampett NES Member

I would love to get a night vision scope for one of my rifles, but at $3-4K, it will not be in my budget anytime soon.

5. Another_David

Another_David NES Member

i've been following it closely. the fed is actually doing what it can do--it's just not possible to fix infrastructure for 3.4 million people in two weeks.

here's what I know:

cash society
    power plants are mostly okay but wires down. it's an island so unlike Florida, northern repair folks can't just drive in.
    water treatment is largely intact but no power to operate means no tap water
    facilities like water treatment have working generators but fuel is limited.
    generators and fuel disappear at night
    curfew--dusk til dawn.
    fuel depots are fine--plenty of fuel but distribution has ceased. Jerry can is now a high value item
    local gov largely unmanned--staff dealing with their own crisis. feds step in but keep arms distance and prioritize security to key infrastructure (airports, field office, gov ops, fuel distribution)
    communications down: cell, internet, landline. ironically there's a slew of info online about which hospitals are operational, civil air patrol flyover photos (http://imageryuploader.geoplatform.gov/ImageEventsPublic/map.html#), etc.

there are lists galore about what you need so here's my top 10 in no particular order:

cash
    guns
    food
    water purification (filter, tablets)
    medications
    solar charger
    FM/HAM radio
    transportation
    housing
    friends

6. nhams

nhams Member

As far as cooling without power, check out usb fans. I have this one... uses just 3 watts and works well for staying cool. Could run off a portable usb charger like the ones used to charge phones.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WM7TRTY

I have no solar panels. But as a cheap solution i have 12v clips that are attached to a cigarette lighter plug, along with an inverter. Should be able to harvest a lot of power from car batteries to charge small electronics and aa/aaa batteries.

Anyone have a low key solar setup that wouldnt break the bank?

7. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

Most disasters are regional in nature, so the scenario that cash becomes useless and everyone is bartering with silver, gold and alchohol is rather unlikely. I'll bet it's easier to get $10 worth of stuff in PR for $10 in cash than it is for $10 worth of silver.

8. Individualist

Individualist NES Member

In a SHTF resource poor scenario you'll probably be lucky to get $10 worth of stuff for $100 cash. This is where bartering will be a good idea. If you have stores of essentials - water, food, medicines or other desirables - booze, batteries, boolets, you can trade it for other needed items at close to equal value. Cash will be devalued. Necessities will increase in value.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. AllaSnackbah

AllaSnackbah NES Member

copy and paste my OP into your first post here.

10. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Can you guys recommend a solar charger?

11. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

Bare necessities (from my previous post 2 years ago):

1 dozen Johnny Walker Red nips
    1 box xtra large condoms
    25 Slim Jims
    6 Romeo & Julieta Churchill cigars
    4 changes underwear (one/week/month)
    3 socks
    1 'nother dozen JWR nips
    1 box large condoms (eyes were bigger than.....you know)
    poncho ($1.99 from Disneyland in 1970s)
    1 Penthouse magazine (also from the 70s)
    1 box matches
    1 qt gasoline
    1 'nother box matches
    for protection: 2 rape whistles and a rock
    1 box medium condoms (my wife weighed in on this purchase)
    1 fifth JWR

1 person likes this.
  12. Taka

Taka NES Member

13. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

Truth

14. kevin9

kevin9 Member

Here's some self-help things I rarely see in prep lists:
    • Chain saw with bar and engine oil, spare chains and parts, include in fuel usage calculations, timberjack
    • Shovels, pickaxes, 5'-6' pry bar, post-hole digger
    • Ropes and cables, shackles and hooks
    • Electric or vehicle mounted winch and cables
    • ATV, UTV or motocycle
    Do not expect help to come to you. Expect to have to make your way to it, with your neighbors if they're good folks.

JayMcB likes this.
  15. Taka

Taka NES Member

Good additions.
    I'd add a couple of Come-A-longs too

1 person likes this.
  16. P-14

P-14 NES Member

Tincture of iodine. 10 drops per liter kills bacteria. Google it for backpackers. Lasts forever instead of those short-life water purification tablets. Good for disinfecting cuts. In water, it gives about 30x the daily recommended dose of iodine to flush the thyroid (think nuclear incident). You don't need potassium iodide pills.

3 wonderful things in that tiny bottle. Keep many on hand. I do. Buy them at the drug store.

On the phone, so sorry for the cryptic text.

Sent from the Warlock Command Center

1 person likes this.
  17. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I assume you want to charge phones and batteries. There are tons of small foldable solar panel chargers on Amazon. It's a fast moving industry with new stuff coming out all the time.

Most have a 5V USB output only, but some like this have 5V and 12V outputs and can charge a car battery (very slowly) as well as your phone.

For charging your AA and AAA batteries, you'll want something that runs off USB like this one.

Just remember that a 24W panel will give you 24W at noon in south Texas. You'll get less this far north.

18. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    Practice with what you have, before you have to use it.

In the last Hunter Ed class I helped with, we were discussion what to bring in your 'survival kit.' Everyone agreed that matches were needed. Almost nobody had ever tried to light a fire on a wet, windy day, with just the stuff around them.

I told them that when it's a nice, sunny, warm day, you won't need to light a fire.

2 people like this.
  19. enbloc

enbloc NES Member

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  20. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Check the contents of your survival kit.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2017
  21. SpiderMA

SpiderMA NES Member

Several cheap solar powered landscape lights

22. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I have one of these, which I'd use for charging flashlight batteries and phones.

It has a 15V 1A input (for cigarette lighter or wall adapter) - wonder if that'd work with a typical solar panel charger?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  23. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Thanks - yeah my battery charger does have a 12V input, which i didn't know til I just checked.

There are so many panels I was wondering which one to get.

24. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

Yeah, too many options is a problem. 2 years ago there were only 2 or 3 good ones. Now......[​IMG]

When I finally decide to get a panel I'll just plow through the Amazon reviews and see which ones score 4+ stars AND have tons of reviews. Then I'll cross-check that with a general on-line search.

The bigger question is, how big? I think I want one small enough for backpacking, but that won't be large enough for home SHTF stuff. I think the consummate prepper would have a 10W-20W one for bugging out without a car plus bigger than 50W at home so you could run more than a couple flashlights and a phone.

I keep intending to put a generator on that stationary bike in the basement [laugh]. They say you can easily generate 100W with a bike generator and athletes do over 400W. Of course if food is running short I'll be too weak to pedal a bike.

25. radarbob

radarbob Member

Forget all that research, just go to Harbor freight and buy one. I'm also planning on converting a bike, but you'll prbably do better with a couple of basic solar panels, depending n your conditins, this being New England, consider a small, inexpensive wind turbine. Add a combination of all three for best results.

26. Individualist

Individualist NES Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Coyote33

Coyote33 Member

28. garandman

garandman Instructor

We live near Boston Harbor. After Hurricane Sandy, I scoured reports from coastal residents. First thing we did was look at flood charts. Found an interactive map that allowed me to raise the water level to those levels: 14 feet above high tide. Turns out we won’t flood (we’re somewhere between 24-40’ above high tide) but will be on an island for 12 hours a day. Huge portions of Cambridge, Back Bay, and other areas up the rivers will also flood.

We bought more gas and water cans, stored more fuel, switched to inverter generators, beefed up medical supplies and training, and we even store our inflatable boat and small outboard in the shed.

A severe northeast snow storm with astronomical high tides remains the most likely and dangerous scenario where we live. Flooding, and no where to go because roads behind us are flooded.

Ironically, I lived in Hampton Beach during the Blizzard of ‘78. Our street didn’t get plowed so we were stuck until the marsh behind us started flooding. We went to the fire station (Police station flooded) and evacuated by bus at the next low tide. Two miles inland it was just another snow storm.

29. garandman

garandman Instructor

30. MisterHappy

MisterHappy NES Member

On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
    In the other PR thread, I posted this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Rico

If you go down to the economy section, you'll see how well and truly f'd they are, as they have to import almost all their energy. They're in a sunny, windy well-watered and hilly location, and have no solar, wind or hydro generation. It's all imported petro.

This is the whole source. And, when you factor in the Jones Act, prohibiting foreign-flagged shipping from bringing anything from the US Mainland to PR, it's another drag. Hell....they're in the tropics, and have to import tropical fruit, apparently! [laugh] [rolleyes]