• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

re: NES Life Memberships now available

Because of membership fees....Admin already has a house in the Hamptons,a 3k sq ft cottage in Weston,a mansion on Lake Winnapesaki,along with 3 Ferrari's ,a Land Cruiser,14 dogs,12 cats and a Gulfstream G5 that he uses to fly all the Mods in to Sweden where he has meetings about this website.

Now he is just being greedy.

Mod summit was in Munich this month. Sweden was last month. Also we had to take the G4 because the G5 was getting new windows installed due to an incident involving Eddie Coyle, a bottle of Pappy VanWinkle, and his S&W 500. (I can’t go into details.)

If I had to guess on membership I'd use something more tangible. Like the monthly giveaway. The most popular recent one seems to be the HK45 with 1100 entries. Now not everyone enters. I rarely do. So i'd throw a 2X modifier on that number. I'd wager current membership is 2k. That is my final answer...

Last edited:
I'm signed up on a ton of sites, mostly gun and LE sites. I pay a membership on exactly 2 sites . . . NES and ARfcom.

If you were to be able to look at recent activity by users, you'd probably find only a very tiny fraction of NESrs actually post here. A lot of previously very active posters have moved away or just dropped by the wayside. A few thousand paying members is more like a realistic guesstimate.

Yeah there's probably like a hundred people that are what could be called regular posters. Probably similar to an average gun club membership where there's a couple thousand on the books and a handful that are there a few times a week.

I may not post a lot, but that doesn't mean that I'm not taking advantage of the vast knowledge here.

See you at MFG ;););)

I'm signed up on a ton of sites, mostly gun and LE sites. I pay a membership on exactly 2 sites . . . NES and ARfcom.

If you were to be able to look at recent activity by users, you'd probably find only a very tiny fraction of NESrs actually post here. A lot of previously very active posters have moved away or just dropped by the wayside. A few thousand paying members is more like a realistic guesstimate.

Dude you're on the same level as any Life Member.

So is this going to be the new war cry ? You know how people love to point out that if you aren't a "NES Member",you are a Liberal and hate guns ? Now it's going to be "Life Members" help keep the site financially viable,you people that pay $21 a year,well that's okay but we are much better than you.

joining arfcom now....tyty

It might have been a good idea to credit green members for years paid towards lifetime membership. This would recognize long time green members. I understand that the logistics of figuring this out is tricky, as IIRC membership was at one time less than $21. Lifetime membership is on the list of discretionary purchases for me, its just not high on the list. I'll get to it at some point. NES has been a valuable resource of knowledge and great source of entertainment for me.

Chris

The math is right, I just think he is talking about the estimate of 1/3 of the membership being green is wrong. I'd agree with that. Would be nice to know what the count is though.

Perhaps look at the number of persons who opt in each month for the raffle? Whatever that number is, 700, 800, 900, 1000, etc. Maybe that is a good indicator of the number of current, paying subscribers?

If I had to guess on membership I'd use something more tangible. Like the monthly giveaway. The most popular recent one seems to be the HK45 with 1100 entries. Now not everyone enters. I rarely do. So i'd throw a 2X modifier on that number. I'd wager current membership is 2k. That is my final answer...

I thought the same thing and commented before reading your post.

all right, you just got me wound up again. if my 21 bucks isn't helping keep the site financially viable then what the christ is it doing? cigarette money for derek? the home page says there are 45,947 members. not knowing how many green members there are, if a third are green @ $21/yearly, that's $321,629 it generates a year. does it cost a regional board over a quarter of a million to run yearly? i dunno.

yep, i see it coming. all of a sudden i feel my welcome is wearing thin. one thing i'm guilty of is writing how i really feel and i'd hate to see an us vs. them attitude develop here on top of all the issues gun owners have already. so if the lifers are supporting the rest of us it's the first time i've ever received welfare.
Dude...which Mod touched you?

No one is forcing you to be a green member or a life member. How much money Derek makes doesnt matter, we are all free to not pay if we dont want to, NES is not the IRS.

My green membership is about to expire, I didnt get any threatening messages and when it expired in the past no one threatened me or forced me to pay.

You can start your own forum, it isn't hard to start one. Good luck maintaining it and gathering 45K members.

If there was just a little more cop hating I'd think about joining. But I guess I'll have to pass and look for another forum where the members shit on cops and try to sell 20 year old, used, U-notch Glock mags for $75.

Can we look forward to Our Future?

I do. I don't see a future where gun owners are considered the dregs of Society, a loose and lost band of misfits. Criminals.
I, instead see each one of Us as a important and integral part of the Machine. The Machine of Freedom.
The Old, the New, Family Men, Family Women, .Mil Veterans, College Students, LEO's.
Hell, even some politicians, make up the Cloth that We are woven into.

Let us not bicker about trivial things, like the color of a banner, or the content of a post. These things pale Our Mission.
Our Mission is to Preserve Our Rights and pass them onto Our children, unabated. All of them. All day, every day.

No one has begged you to be here, but you are. Make the best of it. Smile. Our Mission doesn't have to suck. We will get out of it what We put into it.
I do.

Going forward, I intend to improve the quality of my posts, with the hopes that in perpetuity, something useful will be gleaned from them by New Shooters.

~Matt

Can we look forward to Our Future?

I do. I don't see a future where gun owners are considered the dregs of Society, a loose and lost band of misfits. Criminals.
I, instead see each one of Us as a important and integral part of the Machine. The Machine of Freedom.
The Old, the New, Family Men, Family Women, .Mil Veterans, College Students, LEO's.
Hell, even some politicians, make up the Cloth that We are woven into.

Let us not bicker about trivial things, like the color of a banner, or the content of a post. These things pale Our Mission.
Our Mission is to Preserve Our Rights and pass them onto Our children, unabated. All of them. All day, every day.

No one has begged you to be here, but you are. Make the best of it. Smile. Our Mission doesn't have to suck. We will get out of it what We put into it.
I do.

Going forward, I intend to improve the quality of my posts, with the hopes that in perpetuity, something useful will be gleaned from them by New Shooters.

~Matt

Well said!

First of all, all the knickknacks are fun, but not everyone can or will use them.

What some of us, who read a lot of posts, may be concerned about is it seems a lot of members become NON-MEMBERS, if you catch my drift.

Pay the NRA lifetime, and you are LIFETIME. Never heard otherwise.

But membership in NE Shooters is precarious - apparently.

So … What if a person lays out the nearly $400, and then posts something unpleasant, and becomes a NON-MEMBER.

Not trying to be combative here, but damn - $400 and then it is gone ?

First of all, all the knickknacks are fun, but not everyone can or will use them.

What some of us, who read a lot of posts, may be concerned about is it seems a lot of members become NON-MEMBERS, if you catch my drift.

So … What if a person lays out the nearly $400, and then posts something unpleasant, and becomes a NON-MEMBER.

In my opinion it's not really that easy to get banned. I've been in a few "discussions" with mods and even Derek that got pretty heated. We were both passionate about our opinions but it never sank to just throwing insults, so I've never even been threatened with a ban.

You don't just get banned for life. You get warnings and maybe a vacation, you know what you are doing that isn't acceptable.

I'm not all praise, I do think someone who has been banned for life should have an opportunity to be reinstated. Maybe a long term ban would be better than a lifetime ban. But this is just one of those things where I disagree with Derek..........does this mean I should be watching for the ban hammer? I don't think so.

I don't think lifetime bans are being handed out at free random... you should know if you're on that path well before the actual ban, and you must be trying awfully hard to actually getting banned forever.

I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members.

But in all seriousness, living in NC now, much of the benefit of membership isn’t available to me anymore. I was a member and the group buys are awesome when they’re something you’re looking for.

I would be interested in a NES store for stickers, tumblers, etc. not sure if that is a financially viable thing for Derek to do.

A lot of members become non-members? You're telling everyone that it's easy to get banned? If that's what you're insinuating you're wrong. It takes quite a bit to get banned. Anyone who has been banned deserved to be banned and knew damn well it was coming.

If you don't post like an a**h*** you wont be treated like one.

I'm on dozens of forums and have been for 15 years, I've never been banned on any of them. If you're seriously worried about losing money from being banned, maybe you should look in the mirror.

How about, if we chip in and buy a life membership for Scrivner which would grant him a pardon, retroactively unbanning him... (so he can correct this grammatically challenged post) [party]

He seems to be a kinder gentler grammar nazi on FB if you really miss him. ;p

See? They're already forming a "union" Hoffa Hoffa Hoffa!!!! [pot]

That's funny. There was a guy that jumped on my running board between LGS's, told me to keep driving, asked me if I felt under represented on NES. HE told me he could help me out. He talked all the way across town. Just before pulling into the next LGS parking lot he jumped off. He said 'they' would get in touch with me. When I asked who he was he said, 'Tim'. I yelled 'thanks, Tom'. He yelled back, laughing loudly, "Tim, not-Tom. Talk to you soon". [laugh]

Last edited:
B-9 said: "First of all, all the knickknacks are fun, but not everyone can or will use them.

Not trying to be combative here, but damn - $400 and then it is gone ?"

A lot of members become non-members? You're telling everyone that it's easy to get banned? If that's what you're insinuating you're wrong. It takes quite a bit to get banned. Anyone who has been banned deserved to be banned and knew damn well it was coming.

If you don't post like an a**h*** you wont be treated like one.

I'm on dozens of forums and have been for 15 years, I've never been banned on any of them. If you're seriously worried about losing money from being banned, maybe you should look in the mirror.

I've been a member since May of 2005, so over 13 yrs. and I've not been banned so as Derek stated it takes a lot to get banned.

Back
Top Bottom