Re-Building AR Mags

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Does anyone have any experience re-building AR-style mags, especially 20-rounders? I need some help with selecting some good components to re-furbish some mags.

I've replaced the guts in a few 20- and 30 rounders that were notorious for misfeeds. Swapped out the springs and followers with replacements from Brownells and it seemed to fix the problem. The mags that I'm offering on the Member's area buy are two of these.

The process is simple - slide out the floorplate, pull the spring and follower, clean out any dirt in the mag body and replace the spring and follower with the new parts. The Brownell's kits come with replacement floorplates as well if yours has seen better days. A 3-pack of rebuild kits is like $16 if you get the FFL discount.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/st...GH CAPACITY MAGAZINE REBUILD KIT & COMPONENTS

All you need is a small flathead screwdriver to lever the floorplate off and you're in business. I'd suggest first taking them apart and cleaning them before replacing a bunch of components. Everything might be fine with some elbow grease and a touch of oil (unless the frame is dented or the feed lips are bent, then you do need to refurbish).

I took one apart last night and it does need some cleaning. Then I found a bunch of green anti-tilt mag followers I had forgotten that I had. Only problem: how do you get those green followers in the magazine body and oriented properly in the body? The guide channels inside the mag body seem to make it impossible to get the followers in and sitting properly. What's the secret?

edited to add:

I think that I am going to order some new springs from Brownells.

Last edited:
I used Magpul followers to replace a bunch of black (old USGI) followers and the channels lined up perfect for me. To get the greenies in, I think you have to sorta angle them a little and then push it in. Hard for me to remember how they go in without a mag in front of me. [thinking]

Depending on what type of 20rd mags you have, the Magpul and the green "anti-tilt" followers may not fit.

The green "anti-tilt" followers SUCK, the Magpul SLF's are the way to go. CMMG also makes a decent follower styled like the Magpul follower but S/S instead of plastic.

Wolff springs and Magpul SLF's are what I use in my 30's.

Bushmaster sells green followers for the old style 20rd mags which is a modified (trimmed up) green anti-tilt.

For what it's worth, I don't believe the 20s typically have the "tilt" issues like the 30s. If your 20s still have the metal followers, I would just clean them up very well and replace the springs. CRC makes a Dry Moly Lube in a spraybomb that I like to give mag bodies a couple of light coats of after cleaning them up. http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMPXNO=1653484&PMT4NO=42202502

Last edited:
Well, I took one apart, cleaned the follower, spring, and baseplate, plus some of the inside of the mag body, and successfully put it back together again. I think that I will just invest in some new springs and re-build my 20's that way. If I can find a few of the Magpul followers I may try those.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to offer their experience and insights.

rebuilt close to 120 preabans I cleaned em with brake cleaner and used wolf springs and magpul gen3 followers to rebuil em. refinished some with norrell moly resin coating. if you are going to do anything just clean it up and go magpul gen3 follower they own.

Another vote for Magpul followers.

I can't say enough about them. I experienced FTF's in a variety of mags and began to question the functional reliability of my rifle. I tried the same mag and ammo combinations in another rifle and found the same problem, so I knew it was a mag problem. I bought three Magpul followers and didn't experience any FTF's. I've since changed out all my followers for Magpuls. After approximately 1K rounds with a variety of mags, I haven't experienced any FTF's.

At about $2 each for magpul followers and $1 each for new springs, doing both to each mag is very cheap reliability insurance. You can just feel how much smoother and more stable the magpuls work when you press them down.

I was at the Base Exchange today and saw a bunch of field items on sale. Looked through and found three 3-packs of the subdued gray Magpul followers. Bought them to store away for 30-round mag re-builds.

I just refinsished 10 ar mags. I used Permaslik-G this is the stuff the mags are coated with when new. I will post some pictures later. www.neelyindustries.com Permaslik-G is under dry film lubricants

Here is a batch I just did:

P8010013.jpg

P8010012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom