RCBS vs Hornady

jihad.

i use both. wouldn't really say one is better than the other, i can go back and forth without any issues. try to always buy rcbs dies for no other reason is that's what I started with 35 years ago. i'll tell you this, if Dillon was as available then as it is now, i'd be using them. when he started, you could only send out for Dillon equipment, not get it retail locally.

I use a Hornady LnL press and powder drop and it has been very good to me, havent tried their dies. However I do prefer RCBS dies as I have tried the Lee and they just dont seem as high of quality as the RCBS.

Im sure most will tell you to go Blue.

Which reloading equipment is better or easier to use?

I've been using a used RC press for years; never used a Hornady press, so I can't help you much.
As for dies, it's very subjective. I do like the bullet alignment collet on my two Hornady dies sets, but I also like the decap stems on RCBS dies where you can remove/replace the pins easily when broken or working with berdan-primed brass.
Some like the allen screws on the lock nuts, some like the o-ring friction on Lee dies. Whether knurled nuts or hex nuts, it's all user preference, I suppose.

I have stuff from them all.... most of my dies where bought with the mind set of "whats on sale"
I bought several hornady die sets when they had there free bullet offer with dies.
RCBS takes up about 30% of what I own.
Although I currently only use about 2/3s of those items

When you're comparing Hornady and RCBS, "better" depends on the item, and is largely a matter of opinion.

They're both equally easy to use.

If you're comparing progressive presses, Dillon is the way to go, as others have correctly pointed out.

As someone mentioned in another thread, best thing you can do for yourself if you go with a Rockchucker is get the Hornady Lock n Load bushing kit.

Over the years RCBS dies have been less than stellar. They may have changed the way they are manufactured but about thirty years ago whenever I needed new dies I always bought Redding. They are more expensive but I never had an issue with them.

Here are two examples of RCBS fails. A 30-30 sizing die where the neck was off center by at least .030". A Rem 7 Mag. die that not only pushed the shoulder back about .050" by their instructions but made it about a 25 cal AND that shoulder was crooked to boot.

The coax is definitely higher priced than a chucker, but it's the only press that auto aligns front to back and side to side. Plus it eliminates the need for shellholders and is quicker.

The coax is definitely higher priced than a chucker, but it's the only press that auto aligns front to back and side to side. Plus it eliminates the need for shellholders and is quicker.

I had one for a while. What I liked about it was that it had a ton of leverage so it was easy to size magnum rifle cartridges. One of the things I didn't like about it was in order to get that all that leverage, the throw on the handle has to be really long, which made sizing .380s on it feel ridiculous.

The cost of the shellholders is offset by having to buy a cheesy $5 aluminum locking ring for every die (AND having to replace their slotted screw in it with a socket head cap screw so you can lock it down properly). I think the self-aligning thing is marketing hype. Most single-stage presses feature a ram that goes straight up-and-down under the die hole, so there's not much alignment that needs to be done. There's plenty of clearance in any shellholder to allow the case to align itself as much as necessary to account for any non-concentricity.

It's a really well made tool. It's just not worth twice as much as a Rockchucker IMHO.

I had one for a while. What I liked about it was that it had a ton of leverage so it was easy to size magnum rifle cartridges. One of the things I didn't like about it was in order to get that all that leverage, the throw on the handle has to be really long, which made sizing .380s on it feel ridiculous.

The cost of the shellholders is offset by having to buy a cheesy $5 aluminum locking ring for every die (AND having to replace their slotted screw in it with a socket head cap screw so you can lock it down properly). I think the self-aligning thing is marketing hype. Most single-stage presses feature a ram that goes straight up-and-down under the die hole, so there's not much alignment that needs to be done. There's plenty of clearance in any shellholder to allow the case to align itself as much as necessary to account for any non-concentricity.

It's a really well made tool. It's just not worth twice as much as a Rockchucker IMHO.

Ya, I don't think I'd go out and buy a new one. I found both of mine used. The first one I stupidly sold when I got a 550. The second one I found at ktp for $50. If you ever hear I'm thinking about selling it, please come up here and pistol whip me.

Ya, I don't think I'd go out and buy a new one. I found both of mine used. The first one I stupidly sold when I got a 550. The second one I found at ktp for $50. If you ever hear I'm thinking about selling it, please come up here and pistol whip me.

I got mine used as well, and I'd buy every one I saw for $50.

I prefer the Rockchucker.

People think the Summit is stronger because it's so heavy, but it's heavy in an attempt to make it as rigid as an O-framed press like the Rockchucker.

Back
Top Bottom