RCBS Uniflow

TonyD

One Shot One Maggie's Drawers
I've got an Uniflow and have a couple questions. Mind you, I was given a press and other equipment which has no directions is why I'm having so many questions.

Anyway, I'll be weighing each load on a beam scale and trickling to top it off. My questions are; there are two drums and metering gauges, which one is used for what?

Also, inside the long extension tube there is a removable cone shaped cylinder that has "30 - 45" marked on it. I'm assuming those numbers represent caliber. Is this even needed if I'm going to throw directly into the scale pan?

Thanx

Tony,

It's been ages since I bought that equipment, so all I can offer is a suggestion to contact the mfr (or website) for info/instructions. [If I start using my Uniflow again (doubtful, Dillon has theirs integrated on the press), I'll be in the same boat if I decide to change anything! It's still setup for the pistol powders I was using many moons ago.]

Here is a Reloading webpage that might be of some help:
http://www.reloadammo.com/

I see that the RCBS webpage is down, so no info from the place that should have been the best source of info relevant to your question.

Thanx, Len. I've trying to get on their site all morning.

Is it worth it to reload 9mm or .45 for practice ammo or is it just as cheap to buy? 9's are about $9 / 50 for practice ammo.

Tony, BAD question to ask me!

Back when I started reloading (1976-7), I was doing .380ACP (no commercial reloads were available), .38SP, .357Mag, 9mm and .45ACP. It was costing me no more than $1.50/box to reload vs. $7-8/box for factory ammo. I bought enough components that I still have enough to reload for the distant future (exception being primers).

Here's what I see as the breakdown in current costs (very roughly):
- primers - $0.75/box
- powder - $0.50-1.00/box (pure guess here)
- bullets - $2.00/box for lead, $4.00/box for jacketed (in bulk)
- brass - $0.50-1.00/box (figuring conservatively, 3 reloads of 1x fired brass, actual cost is likely to be infinitesimal)

Tony that uniflow powder measure is a good unit.. You say you got two drums with it,they have different size holes in them..The one with the large hole is for rifle loads,larger ammounts of powder,and the smaller is for pistol loads.. It is not too hard to get going,play with it a bit and you will get it.. You just might find that it will drop consistant enough charges to use as is,no need to weigh and trickle..A lot will depend on your powder choices as some meter better than others..
I use only the drum with the small hole as I load only,mostly,pistol and none that are max loads..
Give it a try, you will like it very much..

Henry

Send an e-mail or call RCBS and ask for an instruction pamphlet..Bet they send you one..

Henry - thanx, I know it's a good unit I just wished a few more of pieces were marked. I've been trying to get a hold of RCBS without any luck. I don't even know the model of the press I have. It has 4 holes and takes the 4x4 shellplates.

I think I have the Uniflow figured out but I wasn't sure which drum to use. That makes sense, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom