• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RCBS Rockchucker

Mine is coming to it's end of useful life. Several hundred thousands of rounds loaded, which means over a million cycles?, it now needs constant cleaning/lubrication of the ram as it starts sticking after a couple hundred cycles. I'm considering milling some flats on the ram to reduce the friction. And yes, I've taken it apart, cleaned the ram and douched the housing. Carbon and primer residue are the likely suspects although I may have bought a lemon these 40 years ago.

Whats' the diameter of the ram? A ball hone for lifter bores may be the right size (or close) or a mini-three-stone-hone for lawnmower engines may work too.
I assume pro machinists also have cylindrical hones.

Or you could spend the hundred thirty bucks and get another 40 years!

If your's measures the same as mine (1") then a wheel cylinder hone would fit perfectly as most wheel cylinders run in the 3/4" to 1¼" range.

Is it just the ram that is worn or the bore too?

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

Pull the ram clean bore real well with carb spray and a small wire brush it very well might have powder and brass embedded after cleaning lube with sae 30 motor oil.alot of the old press's like heavy oil vs clp or wd40 .

Last edited:
My Rockchucker was on it's way out and I honed it. There was a ton of embedded grime that had gunked it up. After a lube it runs like it's on bearings now.

Usually stuff gets smaller as it wears.

I bet a few mintes in an ultrasonic cleaner would remove any crap you can't brush out.

My RC seized up on me last month. I was in the middle of doing some .45acp and fumbled a case I had just charged. Spilled 4.2gr of Titegroup all over the ram and down the channel, and that sucker locked up tight. I had to completely disassemble the whole thing, clean it out with brake cleaner, and oil the hell out of it with CLP and it's been fine since then. I oil not just the ram, but all the joints too.

Usually stuff gets smaller as it wears.

I bet a few mintes in an ultrasonic cleaner would remove any crap you can't brush out.

ODs do, IDs get bigger. The supposition is that honing would clean up any embedded brass or grit in the ID of the press frame, sacrificing a little slop for smooth function.

Back
Top Bottom