RCBS Precision Mic - AR15

I was wondering if anyone is using the precision mic for a 5.56 AR15.

If so, are you also using bullet seating device.

If anyone is doing this how are you getting the bullet part of the tool to get locked “underneath” the extractor? Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone is using the precision mic for a 5.56 AR15.

If so, are you also using bullet seating device.

If anyone is doing this how are you getting the bullet part of the tool to get locked “underneath” the extractor? Thanks.
you just have to fanangle the tool under the extractor or pull the ejector out.
What bullet are you using.

Mac,

I am doing 5.56.

I ended up separating it into the lower/upper half’s and was able to feed the fake shell in there and if my measurements are correct it did place it into the correct position via the bolt.

Not cal, what bullet.
Unless your loading a heavy long bullet your not going to get yo close to the lands if you load the bullet per mamufacture specs. Your also limited to fitment in the mag unless your looking to single load. ?

My bad Mac, I obviously missed what you actually looking for.

Based on our chat in the other thread I was able to get the below two type’s. I do not believe they are the weight you suggested but it was the best I could do at that time.

Sierra Matchking 69 grain HPBT
Nosler Ballistic Tip (Varmint) 60 grain.

Just in case you may want to know:
They will go into once fired Independence brass
Alliant Reloader 10x powder
CCI No. 41 primers

Thanks

Based on our chat in the other thread I was able to get the below two type’s. I do not believe they are the weight you suggested but it was the best I could do at that time.

CCI No. 41 primers

Thanks
I shot up a bunch of the nosler 60 gn tipped ran them at 2.25" OAL---think I still have a batch left for the next CMP Mondern Mil Match
The Nosler 69 custom comps are similar to the SMK about the same OAL. I dont think there is much reason to bother with the RCBS precision mic bullet seating tool for these choices.
the part of the tool that measures off the ogive for your seating depth might give you better consistency ?

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mac.

Let me do some further research on what you mentioned so I make sure I do it correctly.

I think I will try out the Hornady comparator to see if that will give me a better idea of what I am looking for.

What are you trying to do?
some bullet styles will do better with less or more jump to the lands. In the AR with the bullets you have manufactures listed lengths are often good to go.
The hornady over all length gauge with appropriate modified case works well as you can use your bullet of choice.

Mac,

I know this is going to sound very basic but since I have never reloaded these, just trying to find to proper bullet seating depth for the round/rifle.

Mac,

I know this is going to sound very basic but since I have never reloaded these, just trying to find to proper bullet seating depth for the round/rifle.
for your bullet choice go with manufactures specs, those little buggers like to jump anyway. Plus your limitted to fitting the mag.

CCI No. 41 primers

Thanks
where are you getting load data for 10x powder?
i have not heard of many loading 223 A R loads with that powder?

I will be checking both my manual’s to see if they powder listed and also go over to the Alliant page to see what they are showing.

Right now I am verifying and tweaking the little Forster case trimmer with the 3 in 1 attachment I picked up to make sure that part is correct. I am also planning on making a little base section for it.

As you can tell I am not rushing this process.

I will be checking both my manual’s to see if they powder listed and also go over to the Alliant page to see what they are showing.

Right now I am verifying and tweaking the little Forster case trimmer with the 3 in 1 attachment I picked up to make sure that part is correct. I am also planning on making a little base section for it.

As you can tell I am not rushing this process.
Very good

Mac,

I was doing some research for these bullets - load data and here is what I have found.

Neither manual had the type of powder I am using for this bullet.
Sierra manual shows a C.O.A.L of 2.260”

Cannot find a powder load for the Sierra in either of my manuals (Lyman’s 14th, Hornady), Sierra Load Data page or Alliant’s page.

From Hornady Manual. Under 223 Remington and not under 5.56. See attachment. None of the bullets listed in the manual are the same as mine above.
Alliant RL-10X = 19.0 - 21.8 grains

From Nosler load data sheet
Case trim length = 1.760”
Max SAMMI DD8ABDED-8DE9-4B58-8919-EEE012BCFC52.jpegO.A.C.L = 2.260”
Tested O.A.C.L = 2.260”

Mac,

I was doing some research for these bullets - load data and here is what I have found.

Neither manual had the type of powder I am using for this bullet.
Sierra manual shows a C.O.A.L of 2.260”

Cannot find a powder load for the Sierra in either of my manuals (Lyman’s 14th, Hornady), Sierra Load Data page or Alliant’s page.

From Hornady Manual. Under 223 Remington and not under 5.56. See attachment. None of the bullets listed in the manual are the same as mine above.
Alliant RL-10X = 19.0 - 21.8 grains

From Nosler load data sheet
Case trim length = 1.760”
Max SAMMI View attachment 380925O.A.C.L = 2.260”
Tested O.A.C.L = 2.260”

Im not up on 10x powder....I think its geared to the lighter end of bullets ? under 50 grains ?

Nosler lists 10x in thier 34/35 grain bullet loads for 223.
You can call Alliant and ask them for data.

Go with the bullet manufactures data and what alliant says?

2019 Alliant manual basically tops of at 52 grain bullets with 10x

Mac,

After I sent this, I continued to research this information and I believe you are correct about that powder being for lighter bullets.

I will contact them as you mentioned and see what they say.

I apologize if I missed it anywhere in my endeavors but what powder do like for these type of bullet weights?

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

Mac,

After I sent this, I continued to research this information and I believe you are correct about that powder being for lighter bullets.

I will contact them as you mentioned and see what they say.

I apologize if I missed it anywhere in my endeavors but what powder do like for these type of bullet weights?

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.
You have lots of options but for me
69-77 grain match , no particular order and really depends on whats on sale when I,need to restock.
H4895,IMR4895, Reloader 15, TAC, H335, Varget

My 60 grain tipped nosler
Varget, H335, RE 15, ,H4895, A2230

i lean on Varget and H4895 because it covers so many different cals I,shoot.

Im on my last run of the 60 grain tipped 24 grwins varget . Will be using them at next CMP modern military match. Im burning up all my low volume bullets. Soon I will be back to shooting the 52,69,77 match bullets I,have stock piled. No reason than i stocked up cheap on variety. The 52s shoot really nice at 200 and they where deep discounted so thats what I use alot. If i ever get out to 200/300/600 yard NRA i load the 77s.
The only powder on my list that can be a bit unpredictable is TAC I,burned up the lb I had and never tried it again.

Last edited:
I use the RCBS Precision Mic for my Rem.700 308 . That plastic bullet is a waist . The Mic. I find is perfect and very accurate for my datum and ogive settings . Working with a AR platform your limited do to a magazine feed system . I would stick to a over all length then check your ogive measurement to size all to that measurement as long as your OAL will function in your magazine . Setting your CBTD .002 using a Go Gauge and building up the base can help you know your chamber. Finding the right bullet , powder and charge , once you find that it's time for a new barrel , then it starts all over again. Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Thank you very much for your information CW308.

That is the same as EC and Mac had discussed with me. That conversation may have been offline so it is good you posted your findings/process.

Back
Top Bottom