RCBS or Hornady that is the question

JackO

Instructor
Fellow reloaders, I have an almost impossible problem to solve, I need to choose between two excellent single stage presses: RCBS Rock Chacker and Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic.

I currently have a couple of Dillon 550B, one setup for large primers, one for small ones. I also have a half dozen of tool heads for them with different caliber dies installed. I mostly do pistol calibers: 32S&Wlong, 9mm, 38SPL, 357mag, 44mag, 50AE. Recently I dove in 223 rifle caliber, processed about 6K of MFL brass on one of my Dillons, no problem. The next journey in rifle calibers will be 308, for hunting and long range shooting (600+). I have also recently added 500S&Wmag to my pistol calibers.

So why do I “need” a single stage press, if for many years Dillons seem to do all the work I needed? I don’t know, I just feel that I would benefit from a single stage to do precision reloading of rifle calibers, and come-on, I just WANT one.

Now, when I gave you the full background, let’s get back to the question – RCBS vs Hornady.

RCBS Rock Chacker – very solid, classic single stage press, considered by many THE PRESS. Has 4” ram stroke, can be used with the bushing with standard 7/8-14 dies, or without the bushing with large 1-1/4-12 dies. Has a simple priming arm, and an optional automatic priming system. Price - $136.99 from Midway.

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic – practically the same tech specs as RCBS RC, ram stroke a little smaller, 3-3/4”. Can not take 1-1/4-12 dies (do I need this, is this for 50BMG only?), but has a DEFINITE plus in my book – Lock-N-Load Bushings for quick die changing. I think it might be a big deal, as I’m the type of person, who prefers adjusting a die once, and keeping it this way. I would probably buy a dozen or more bushing, put all large caliber dies in the bushings, and then just switch them in press as needed. On the negative side – some reviews say LNL automatic priming arm is so-so, requires continuous tinkering to keep it running. Not that it’s a big deal, but just another small thing to take into consideration. Hornady LNL single stage is $131.99 from Midway.

Another thing to consider – powder measure. I even don’t know yet if I need one, as I can pre-process all the brass on a single stage press, and then charge, sit bullet, and crimp it on 550B. So far my Dillon powder measures were very consistent, I modified them with Uniquetek micrometric powder bar kits, and they are very repeatable within +/- 0.1gr, although I used them with ball powders only. But I feel I would benefit from a powder measure for precision rifle reloading for long range. Both, RCBS and Hornady have relatively similar powder measures, although Hornady seems a little better according to several reviews I read here on NES and on the net in general.

And one more small question. Are the shell holders from RCBS and Hornady interchangable, i.e. can RCBS holders be put in Hornady press and vice versa?

So, in your opinion, RCBS or Hornady, Rock Chacker or LNL?

ETA. It seems, with this adapter Rock Chacker can have LNL bushing system:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=858110

513567.jpg

197894.jpg

Last edited:
I've gone the other way. Rock Chucker and then I got a LNL-AP to load rifle.

Most rifle shooters I know deprime and size on a single stage, then they clean them and load them progressively. I probably only primed a couple of hundred cases on the press though. It's less work to use a Lee or RCBS tool compared to the RC. FWIW, I would get a press that deals with spent primers better than the RC. The Lee Classic Cast has a plastic tube and is nice in that regard. It's my only gripe with the RC.

B

I like the RockChuker. I'll load 200 yard ammo on my 550 but when it counts, size on my RockChucker or Junior and WEIGH the charges. Powders like Varget do not meter very well, not well enough for 600 yards anyway. I've experimented with Accurate 2460 that is a ball powder and meters very well in my Harrell measure. Won't even think twice about shooting it at 600 yards. Haven't tried it in the Dillon measure though. If your not going Blue, go green!

FWIW, Hornady sells a LockNLoad Bushing kit for ~ $20. you take the threaded bushing out of your rockchucker, thread in the replacement from hornady, and bam. give your rockchucker the "advantage" the Hornady has.

DSC_2522.jpg

DSC_2523.jpg

I have the Rockchucker.... only thing i don't like about it is the priming arm on it sucks, don't expect to do a TON of priming with it, because eventually the screw that holds it in place will break off inside the threads, because it always works itself loose while priming.

-Mike

Jasper, thanks for the hint. I did find this LNL kit on Midway and am going to order it.
How did you tighten the bushing in the press? It looks, there are no flats on the bushing for the wrench. I understand, it can be done by installing a die in a die bushing, and then use it to tighten the press bushing, but I would be concerned not to damage the vertical slots, as they will be absorbing the all the force.

And on the other note, what powder measure can you recommend (I know you are doing a lot of rifle reloading)?

To throw a bug in the oinment, how about this...
benefits of single stage and the ability to set up 2 diff calibers at once.
RCBS Turret press around $200.00 if you shop. I've got a 550b, Lyman Turret, 2 RC's and one of these, very versatile.

I have the Rockchucker and use it to decap and resize, but I prime using a hand primer, which I find easier and quicker than trying to use the press.

Folks, thank you so much for your help. I was leaning towards the Rock Chucker from the very beginning. I think I will go with it and the LNL conversion bushing set.

Could you please give me your input on the powder measures?

UNIFLOW powder measures. Get the SMALL hub kit. the factory Uniflow comes with the large one, which is fine for rifle. But, occasionally, you'll want to do a short run of a pistol, and you'll need the small hub kit.

Forget the stand, the Uniflow screws into the Rockchucker.

my Hornady LnL rotor-style powder measure has be incredibly accurate for me. it's no Harrell, but it'll throw charges CONSISTENTLY +/- .1gr

I have the micrometer style rotor installed, simply because i only use the standalone measure for precision rifle loading. the rotors are VERY easy to swap, so you could realistically have 5 or 6 different rotors, preset to a specific charge weight with a given powder, and swap them back and forth with the push of a button (WITHOUT spilling any powder, either)

Guys, thank you so much for all the valuable info and advice. I have ordered Rock Chucker, LNL bushing kit, Hornady powder measure. Different rotors with micrometers for powder measure will come later (maybe) if I need them.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your help.

JackO, a little loctite on the bushing insert will hold it in place and still come out with a heat gun. I will be getting the Hornady single stage at some point, I already have the rest of the kit. The RCBS seems to be well built though and would look good if I painted it red.

Last edited:
Guys, thank you so much for all the valuable input. I finally got all my single stage setup together: Rock Chucker, Hornady Powder Measure, micrometer insert, etc. What a great tools! I tested the powder measure yesterday. With no any tricks, powder is dispensed very accurately, within +/_.1gr or better. I tested several different powders: Win 231, Bullseye, 2400, H-110. All it took to get powder measure to function correctly, just clean all the parts with alcohol, and put it back together. BTW, I found no difference in precision with using just the regular insert, or micrometric insert. The only difference I see, with the micrometer it's much easier to go to the known weights with the known powder.

Again, thanks a lot for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom