• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

&%##$** RCBS hand primer

scatter

NES Member
I am fairly new to reloading. Have done about 1000 rds of 9mm so far. For the last couple weeks I have started reloading my stash of .223/5.56 brass.

I am using a RCBS rock chucker and hand primer, a Lyman manual trimmer, and deburring with a RCBS hand deburring tool. Yes I know it's very tedious and slow but I'm retired and my time is free.

I think this RCBS hand primer SUCKS, at least for small rifle primers (didn't seem to have many problems with the pistol primers as I recall). The slightest tap or shake will turn several primers upside down in the tray, so I have to open it up and flip them over with my finger (usually up-ending a couple others in the process), then move all the ones near the lip so I can get the cover back on, and then up-end some more when I reinstall the cover. I've tried using masking tape to hold the cover on more tightly, and being very careful when I add primers to the tray, without much success. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bad design that I need to buy a replacement for before I throw it through a window?

Can't comment on the RCBS gear, but the Lee unit has a small and large tray. I think this has more to do with the hole for the primer and punch diameter, but it may have had a slightly shallower tray, too. I use the ram-prime anyways.

i've been using the same 1st generation lee priming tool for over 28 years without a hitch. never even seen a rcbs unit so can't comment on it. on my lee, there's no way for primers to flip in the tray, it just can't be done. are you sure you've got the lid on properly? just asking, not trying to flame.

The Lyman hand priming tool I picked up has multiple trays for it. I haven't actually used it yet. Seemed to have a LOT of good reviews, which is why I went with it. Also got it so that I had the option of priming brass while I watched TV...

I have the 90201 and havent had the problem you mention. (flipping while assembled and in the process of priming) However, before priming (but after getting them all oriented the right way) I would snap the cover on the tray and it was a tight fit which would sometimes cause some to flip when it jerked into place (not sure if this is what youre referring to ) I reamed the hole in the tray a bit and the cover slips in easier and doesnt flip any primers when Im snapping it into place.
eta- just adding after seeing GreenCobras post, there isnt enough room for a primer to flip when the trays closed with mine either. I may be misunderstanding at what point in the process youre problem is happening.

I have the 90201 and havent had the problem you mention. (flipping while assembled and in the process of priming) However, before priming (but after getting them all oriented the right way) I would snap the cover on the tray and it was a tight fit which would sometimes cause some to flip when it jerked into place (not sure if this is what youre referring to ) I reamed the hole in the tray a bit and the cover slips in easier and doesnt flip any primers when Im snapping it into place.

Same for me- that center pin on the lid is a little tight and occasionally will flip a couple, but otherwise I don't have any trouble.

Your tray has the ridges, correct? Before snapping the lid on, gently shake it (the tray, silly) back and forth and the primers will flip to the correct side. No fingering necessary.

I'm pretty happy with my RCBS primer- it has a positive feel to it like some of the high end benchrest hand primers. I've loaded ammo that shoots below .3 MOA with it, so it does the job for me as good as anything.

Same for me- that center pin on the lid is a little tight and occasionally will flip a couple, but otherwise I don't have any trouble.

Your tray has the ridges, correct? Before snapping the lid on, gently shake it (the tray, silly) back and forth and the primers will flip to the correct side. No fingering necessary.

I'm pretty happy with my RCBS primer- it has a positive feel to it like some of the high end benchrest hand primers. I've loaded ammo that shoots below .3 MOA with it, so it does the job for me as good as anything.
Yep it has ridges so no need for a separate flip tray. Wasnt a big deal, just a little annoying until I adjusted the hole in the tray.

There are two RCBS hand primers, the "universal", which doesn't use shellholders, and the cheaper one that does.

I've used at least one RCBS Universal hand primer in every reloading class I've ever done. I've never had an issue with them.

I have the RCBS Universal. Never had the trouble you speak of?
As others have said, is your cover on tight? I love the RCBS primer trays.
I even modified my LEE bench primer to accept the RCBS trays.
Have you tried another tray? They’re not to expensive and having 3 or 4
is always good. You can store different sizes in each tray. Mark with a Sharpie of course.

Jeez...you should really bring that stuff to the CMP matches ;D

Benchrest prepped cases (lots of prep), Compass Lake barrel in a NM AR with huge scope, Geissele adjusted to hair trigger, tons of weight, bag rider on A2 stock and flat benchrest platform screwed to fore-end. I'd pull my back out in off-hand, LOL.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like my problem is not common. I will check the center hole to make sure the lid is seating completely, and rummage through my boxes to see if there's another tray in there for smaller primers. Failing that, I will assume something is warped on my tray and go get another to try.

rcbs will replace equipment no questions asked. from experience i know they are spot on with customer service.

I am fairly new to reloading. Have done about 1000 rds of 9mm so far. ....................... (didn't seem to have many problems with the pistol primers as I recall).

FWIW, small rifle primers and small pistol primers are exactly the same size......I can't imagine one having enough room to turn over and the other not.

rcbs will replace equipment no questions asked. from experience i know they are spot on with customer service.

^This! I've not had any problem with any primer size and I've done SPP, LPP, SRP and LRP on the same RCBS hand primer and none had this issue. I did have a problem where part of the lip that goes from the tray into the primer tool cracked and wasn't holding it in tight. Called them and they sent me a whole new tray free. I bet they'd do the same for you.

I’ve not had trouble with the RCBS universal hand primer. The only semi annoying thing is having to swap it back and forth for large / small primers. I mostly now just prime on the press.

There are two RCBS hand primers, the "universal", which doesn't use shellholders, and the cheaper one that does.

I've used at least one RCBS Universal hand primer in every reloading class I've ever done. I've never had an issue with them.

I have both, after i got fed up with 223/556 brass (originally a lesson in removing primer crimp sufficiently) in the original RCBS primer that takes the shell plates. Never had problems with the universal primer, but i know the issue you speak of with the primers flipping over in the shell plate version. Not sure if it was just a few plates for the shell plate primer that had issues but the plate for the universal primer has no issues.

Back
Top Bottom