• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RCBS Dies

So I was in Kittery a while ago, and I mentioned I wanted a 7.62X54R die set. They sold me an RCBS set for a good price.

Well I just went down to the armory to load up some rounds, and I can't get the damn re-sizing/decapping die to work. The round just isn't entering in all the way into the die (even with the decapper removed).

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I'm pretty frustrated here.

-Weer'd Beard

I assume you've got the die adjusted so the bottom is just touching the top of the shellholder, right? If so, how can the round not enter all the way? It's got to go somewhere, unless the press doesn't have the leverage to resize it, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Assuming your cases are properly lubed, either your sizer or your brass is mis-marked.

Yeah, I dunno what the problem is. Even when I take the decapper out of the die, and just try to drop the brass into the die it will only go in half-way.

I'm gonna take it into the shop and see if they can help me figgure it out.

I lubed up my brass too...so that's not an issue.

Dunno

-Weer'd

Weer'd,
Some of the Mosins have significantly oversized chambers. It's likely to take a good dose of lube and some considerable effort to resize the tapered cases. A lightweight press might not be enough for the job. I use an RCBS Rockchucker for heavy work and a lighter press for bullet seating. Try your "drop in" test with an unfired case for comparison.
Jack

Yeah, I dunno what the problem is. Even when I take the decapper out of the die, and just try to drop the brass into the die it will only go in half-way.

Are you talking about fired brass? If so, that's exactly what should happen - if it just dropped all the way in then the die would be too large. If unfired, then (as jhrosier suggests) you've got a problem and need to contact RCBS.

It may be from fire-forming.

I need to make an ammo-run anyway, I'll bring my die to the shop to see what they think.

I'm using a Lee Clasic, so it's not a super-heavy press.

Arrr

-Weer'd Beard

Might be too obvious but are you sure they didn't sell you 7.62 x39 dies????

Oh - what a great question, especially since both cartridges are sometimes referred to as "7.62mm Russian". That would pretty much result in exactly what Weer'd has described, wouldn't it?

Nope it's 7.62X54R, I'm using a spray lube that I belive is called "one shot"

I forget. I'm going down to the armory right now to give it another go.

Wish me luck.

Arrrr

Ah-HA! Got it! Just needed to lube the bejesus out of the cases.

The only other rifle calibur I load is .257 Roberts, and I usally don't even need to lube the cases. The chamber on my 722 must be pretty tight, as there is little fire-forming.

While my M44 seems to strech them out quite a bit.

So when a little bit of lube doesn't work....try a LOT of lube.

Ok, now I'll wait for that bus the climb over me [rofl]

Thanks for the help guys!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

I know some love One-Shot, but I tried it once and ended up with the only stuck case I've ever had in about 30 years of reloading. It went right in the trash and I went back to the old lanolin-based RCBS lube. Some years ago I needed to resize a bunch of rifle brass and had run out of resizing lube, so I looked to see what I had and ended up carefully trying a little automatic transmission fluid (I'm almost embarassed to be telling this) - well, it worked great on 300 Win Mag cases that require a good bit of pressure and I've been using it ever since with no problems whatsoever. It's a good bit easier to wipe off the cases after, as well.

+1 on the lanolin based lubes.
I've used both RCBS and Lee lubes with good results.
I've also heard of folks using STP oil treatment as a substitute but never tried it myself.

Never had a problem using Hornady One-Shot in thousands of 223 and 260 Rem, 6.5X55, and 30-06 reloads.

260s need more lube than 223, at least with my rifles.

+ 1 on one shot but I also use the newer RBCS case lube. and do I remember the old formula what a PITA to get that stuff off even with a hot tank.
I wouldn't use anything for case lube unless the MFG's reconended it, why take the chance of ruining a set of dies, BTW I didn't know they still made STP

How does RCBS feel about this stuff?
c3_2.JPG

[laugh] Sorry all this talk about alternative lube is makin me giggle!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

with full lenth resizing on major calibers(3006 308 762x54) you need a good lube and some ommph. If the chamber is loose they where fired in. I have used the new lee water based lube with the '06 and it worked fine. too little lube can lleave you with a stuck piece of brass and that no fun. (send it back to RCBS at that point. )

Just a sugestion...

If you are reloading to shoot in the same rifle, you can get away with neck sizing the brass. It takes much less effort, you won't have to trim your cases, and your brass will last longer!

Adam

Just a sugestion...

If you are reloading to shoot in the same rifle, you can get away with neck sizing the brass. It takes much less effort, you won't have to trim your cases, and your brass will last longer!

Adam

An idea to consider...but I already have the dies. Plus we're talking Mosin Nagants...you think I'm gonna stop at just one??? [rofl]

Back
Top Bottom