RCBS die lock ring set screw size??

Golddiggie

NES Member
Does anyone know what the set screw size is for the RCBS die lock ring?? I buggered up one of them on earlier today when setting up some of my dies. I'd rather just get a replacement set screw than get another lock ring. I tried a #10 screw but it didn't want to go in (didn't force it).

If someone knows what the size of this is, and if it can be obtained from local HW stores, that would be great. Otherwise, I'll be heading up to Shooter's Outpost tomorrow to get a couple of spares (the entire ring). I still would like to get some replacement set screws for future needs though.

Last edited:
Not sure off hand but might try calling RCBS. They may just send you a few. when I messed up my primer punch and called them they sent me a handful of replacements for free.

PS the internet says 10-32

Last edited:
I'm looking to have this resolved tomorrow, not next week sometime (or even longer). I'll probably pull the screw from either the ring I get tomorrow, or replace the one on that die with the new one and then either see if RCBS will tell me what the spec's are, or take the ring to the HW store to find out IF I can get it locally or not.

I'm looking to have this resolved tomorrow, not next week sometime (or even longer). I'll probably pull the screw from either the ring I get tomorrow, or replace the one on that die with the new one and then either see if RCBS will tell me what the spec's are, or take the ring to the HW store to find out IF I can get it locally or not.

Ace Hardware/Tru Value is what you seek.

They have an amazing assortment of loose screws, fasteners, etc.

Some are better stocked than others, so YMMV.

95% of the time they haven't failed me yet.

They may just send you a few.
not may send, they will send some
shoot them an email anyway, include your name and addy. tell them what you need. they'll send you a little baggie with 5-6 of those little screws. if you think the lock ring is buggered, tell them that also. they don't care if it's your fault or equipment failure, it'll be replaced.

from personal experience, i've never gotten a reply from an email. an envelope just appears at the mailbox in several days with what i needed.

The brass set screw is buggered, not the ring...

I sent a message off via their web site to see about getting the info directly. I guess I'll just get one (or two) 'spare' lock rings tomorrow. Instead of driving to different HW stores in the hope that they'll have a brass set screw that will work.

I'm also thinking about picking up a cheap socket to make a wrench to help tighten the rings with in the future. I'm thinking that I can get either a deep socket or regular one. Cut off the part that goes to a ratchet and weld a handle to it. It will take longer to cut the socket than anything else. There's a place not far past Shooter's that has cheap tools like that (R&R) so I won't feel bad if it doesn't work out. I'll probably get a couple of sockets to try out. I have stock on hand to make into a handle for it.

I had sent a message to RCBS last weekend about the set screw size. I used the method from their contact us page. Got an email yesterday that they're sending me some replacement screws (free). I would like to know what thread they are, for my own information, but getting some replacements on hand is good too.

Because they replied like that (even though it took a few days), I sent another message (new one, not a reply to the old) asking about using their pistol bullet feeder die in the Pro Chucker 5 press (with their 45 ACP dies initially, more later as I add calibers). Will see what they come back with. If I can set that up with their press (without issue) then it's another + mark in favor of getting that in the coming months. I'm interested to see how the bullet feed die works now. I did get a couple of extra tubes to use with it, so I can set up to feed 100 reloads at a shot.

That's about what I figured based on what I measured... I was really looking for confirmation... I found a 100 pack of them on Amazon ($15 for the pack), but that's way more than I'll ever need. Getting it in brass is the main hurdle with getting them locally.

Either way, I'll have extras soon. I'll also be sure to not make the mistake that screwed up the first one, again.

Back
Top Bottom