RCBS Customer Service

RKG

NES Member
I noticed one day last week that the support stem in my RCBS primer pocket swaging kit was bent.

Went to the RCBS website but could not find an item for a replacement stem, so I sent them an email.

Got an email back saying that replacement stems were one the way "under warranty."

Sent a reply to the effect that my kit was more than 20 years old, had seen some fair service, and owed me nothing, and offering to pay for replacement stems.

Got a reply saying, "Have a nice weekend."

Received the replacement stems the next day.

Obviously, the spirit of Fred Huntington lives on. How refreshing.

I noticed one day last week that the support stem in my RCBS primer pocket swaging kit was bent.

Went to the RCBS website but could not find an item for a replacement stem, so I sent them an email.

Got an email back saying that replacement stems were one the way "under warranty."

Sent a reply to the effect that my kit was more than 20 years old, had seen some fair service, and owed me nothing, and offering to pay for replacement stems.

Yeah, they have good service. I told them I bent the decapping pin... I got a ton of pins as well as various other spare parts. I felt like I should have paid for them. I made it up to them by converting another calibre to RCBS dies.

+1

The nice woman at RCBS told me that it happens to lots of guys and that I shouldn't be embarrassed about it ;)

That's all good to hear. I just started using an RCBS swaging kit yesterday to process some military .223 brass and managed to bend the stem after about 50 pieces. One of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had with something from RCBS, and I'm still not convinced the thing will ever work as intended. Anyway, I've contacted them about it and I expect they'll replace the stem, but I have this feeling that the whole thing is going to end up in the trash anyway and I'll end up spending the extra money to get the Dillon.

The rod gets bent because the die body and rod aren't adjusted properly.

Thread a case over the rod and start the primer pocket over the swaging nipple. Slowly run the ram up full extension, and check the insertion of the nipple into the pocket. Adjust the rod until full ram extension just seats the nipple into the pocket.

The point of the rod is to support the web of the case as the pocket is swaged. If the rod is adjusted too long, you bend it. (If it is adjusted too short, you risk damaging the case web.)

I believe the Dillon has the same issues.

Funny, I have done close to 1000 7.62 cases on my RCBS primer pocket swager with out an issue. The first 50 cases of 5.56 I did I ended bending the rod.

Funny, I have done close to 1000 7.62 cases on my RCBS primer pocket swager with out an issue. The first 50 cases of 5.56 I did I ended bending the rod.

Possibly two factors at work: (a) to swage 5.56 brass, you have to swap out the thick rod used for most stuff for the thinner one, and (b) when changing calibers, you have to re-adjust the die. Frankly, I suspect I bent my rod by failing to do (b) after switching from 9 mm to 5.56.

I'm sure I used the right rod because I have swaged 7.62 brass since I bent the small one. Just operator error I'm sure, and being used to using the heavier (and stronger) larger rod. The smaller one is just a bit more delicate.

It's pretty difficult to bend the rod on the Dillon. You would almost have to do it deliberately.
If it was easy to do, I would have done it already. [smile]

(I have swaged thousands of .45 cases, hundreds of .223 cases, and tens of 30-06 cases in the few months I have owned it.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the input - that adjustment procedure sounds like it should help. RCBS is sending me a couple new rods for nothing (no surprise there - I'm pissed off at the swaging tool, but RCBS is still the best), so we'll see.

(FWIW, the tech who got back to me says he has trouble bending rods when be swages .223 also. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse! [grin])

The rod gets bent because the die body and rod aren't adjusted properly.

Thread a case over the rod and start the primer pocket over the swaging nipple. Slowly run the ram up full extension, and check the insertion of the nipple into the pocket. Adjust the rod until full ram extension just seats the nipple into the pocket.

The point of the rod is to support the web of the case as the pocket is swaged. If the rod is adjusted too long, you bend it. (If it is adjusted too short, you risk damaging the case web.)

Back
Top Bottom