• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RCBS colet style bullet puller and lead cast bullets

They indicated only for plated bullets. i'm sure the collet needs something firm to grab onto.
I have some messed up cast reloads in 40 with little or no crimp.
Would the collet be able to grab the lead or would it be totally useless and slip?
I have a dozen or so that need to be pulled.

BTW midway has the RCBS collet puller and and collets on sale.

I use a ballistic hammer type puller but I can't imagine that there would be any problem using the RCBS for 40 cal cast bullets.... The collet should hold the bullet enough to extract especially with a taper crimp.....

Cast bullets can sometimes get a little mashed because they could be softer than jacketed bullets. So, the only issue would be damage to the bullet you are pulling. It should grip the cast bullets just fine.

Like Bob J, I also use a inertia type bullet puller, and put a foam insert at the bottom to cushion the bullets when they hit that end. No damage, and they pull apart just fine.

Collet pullers mark up cast bullets pretty badly.

It's only 12. Like everyone said, use an inertia (hammer type) puller.

i'm not worried about saving the cast bullets, i just hate the impact puller.
some time it takes a while to pull one apart, even wacking on a solid piece of oak on a solid bench.
i take some factory and reloaded riffle ammo apart as well.
seams like an easy solution

Are they SWC's (most commercial cast .40's I've see are)? If so the collet puller won't work that well at all b/c the major diameter of the bullet is almost completely contained in the case.

BTW try using the plastic hammer on the end of a 4x4 set lengthwise on concrete...much more effective than a bench. I generally can get anything over 150 gns out w/ a few snappy hits.

Hold the base of the round and tap around the circumference of the case mouth while supporting the round on something hard (like steel). This will mash the lead down slightly, but the brass will spring back. A few gentle taps and you should obtain the necessary clearance to enable you to work the bullet out. I did a huge lot of questionable .44s (somewhat easier than your situation with the more stubby .40) like this and once you get the hang of it, this is the fastest way. The cases can be resized - just remove the depriming rod if you trust the primers already in the case.

Back
Top Bottom