• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Raven Holster mini review

This might not be new information for many out there, but it is new to me as it's my first kydex holster. That said, here we go. Fitted for Sig 229 9mm

Material: Holster and mag carrier are constructed of kydex. Installed beltloops seem to be plastic. Metal screws and eyelets, with rubber grommet like O ring

Construction: Pre-formed with slight curvature to follow contours of body. Extremely rugged with almost no deformation under practical applications. Modular pieces and eyelet layout allow for a handful of setup options. Retention achieved through trigger guard on holster, and dimpling on the mag carrier.

Fit and finish: No sharp edges. No protruding screws or wobbly hardware. Smooth outline and doesn't catch on clothing. Interior mold is spot on, if a biiiiiit close along the slide

Weight: Minimal. The material is very light. Wouldn't be concerned about this at all.

Size: There are smaller mag carriers out there. The modular aspect makes itself apparent here. The holster, again being modular, is not too large imo. From pictures I looked at prior to ordering, I was almost certain this would be a giant hunk of kydex but I believe Raven has done an adequate job removing excess material.

Conceal-ability: I just tossed it on the belt and in casual wear, OWB, it's hard to see.
The 229 isn't a compact, but I feel it disappears well with a hoodie and a tshirt on.
Being preformed, it does smooth out any corners that might jut out, and with a good belt, it sits right on my waist. No square printing off your hip. I imagine IWB is that much better

Flexibility: I didnt really care for all the flexibility it offers, but it's there for anyone that likes to minimize holsters. There are many ways to get comfortable IWB or OWB, depending on your lifestyle. Screws are easy in and out, standard phillips heads.

Final impressions: I can't tell you how long it takes to work kydex into this shape and with this quality. Whether it's worth the 4 month wait is very subjective. It's also a bit more than competitors cashing in on the kydex market. There is a lifetime warranty. I can't speak on the conditions, but it's nice to know. I'm guessing it's on bits like belt loops and paddle attachments and such, maybe even the holsters themselves, not 100% sure.

From the few hours Ive sat around with it on, I can say I'm satisfied with all the hype. One thing is for sure though, do not get anal regarding pistol finish. At least for me, my handguard is grinding down some of the retention dents, and the slide is marking up a bit. Again, I'm not too concerned about it, but if you have a safe queen I'd skip ordering a kydex for it.

And lastly, thanks to Hanwei. I first saw the holster in one of his posts, and after doing a bit more reading around decided it was what I needed out of a holster at the time.

Hey Roger [smile]

Nice review! I just wanted add that Raven's lifetime warranty covers everything including the holster. I know this because I've had warranty work done. I've had their holsters since 2007? Maybe 2008... and that's when they hadn't gotten popular yet (the wait was only 25 days back then!)... and when they were still using the thinner kydex. Turns out that the thinner kydex isn't as "robust"... and the pancake wing attachments started to develop cracks in early 2010... so Raven sent out the newer, thicker, redesigned pancake wings to me free of charge. In late 2010 one of my holsters (also of the thinner kydex) started to develop a crack near in the area of the ejection port. Within 2 weeks I had a brand new holster from Raven that has since been updated using much thicker kydex which should last a lot longer and be much stronger.

Current production Raven holsters and accessories use much thicker kydex than when they started a few years ago... so they are much stronger and robust.

Hanwei

Great review. I have a Raven for my M&P9 and like it more than my custom leather one. I placed my order and they put me into the que w/o pay at first, guy I talked to said they would just mail it out when they got my money order.

3 months later out of the blue I get my Raven. It kind of sucked for the wait, but if you want quality stuff there will be wait at times. And I blame Magpul for the HUGE influx of orders to Raven (if you look, they are using RCS holsters in their handgun DVD so a lot of the fanboys HAD to have the Raven w/ the Magpul Dynamics cut on them.

Couple options. I have both and I'm very pleased. Check it out on Ebay. Shop2damnmuch (Hideous Holsters) and Nixnehc.

After wearing for an IDPA classifier, I been working on draws to try and smooth things out a bit inside. Once or twice at classifier drawing would cause shorts to ride up on me cause the holster wouldnt let go of the pistol. I'm sure a few weeks from now this won't be an issue. The mag pouches are already perfect mix of smooth release and retention.

As you can see, it doesnt add a lot of bulk on the hip. 229 is a bit of a block so I'm looking forward to getting my holster for Commander size 1911 in. Only another 2 months or so on that one lol. Tempted to try the Comp-tac pieces just to see the difference. Seemed like all the guys at the classifier were running Comp-tac or Bladetech.

5/5 stars

img0212pv.jpg
img0220ku.jpg
img0217en.jpg

img0221a.jpg
img0223lm.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom