• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ratty T53 stock

45collector

NES Member
I’ve had this rifle for years, and am thinking of refinishing the stock. It’s got tons of dings, dents, gouges, carvings of initials and legit stampings. Part of me wants to clean it up and make it baby-ass smooth but that would mean removing all its character.
I would love to have the best of both worlds and get it so it doesn’t tear the beard off my right cheek with every shot, while also preserving all the hard-earned tattoos.
Any input? What if I just lightly run a 000 steel wool over it and start coating it in tru oil. Wondering if it would be transparent enough to keep the art.
D271109B-035B-46DF-A369-EA9988A5A3D8.jpeg
080A60CF-AC6E-412A-A9D4-6F48BD833AC3.jpeg
78C4CC04-F9A0-49A9-9CB8-6894F06C39B6.jpeg
58C9F720-FD7D-485F-B445-905474E17493.jpeg 0C1936DD-E253-4387-BDD6-237D155DA39D.jpeg

Mark Novak of Anvil on YouTube has a few videos where he discusses cleaning up stocks while also preserving marks in the wood.

I was using mineral spirits, which I had used numerous times with good results. With the T53 stock the grains just lifted and started to shred. I think the varnish and dirt was the only thing keeping it together.

My T-53’s stock was so bad that it started to disintegrate when I tried cleaning it up. If that happens to yours ArchAngel makes a great replacement stock for it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9A6ctjHAxE

John, please don't bubba your T-53.

Mine is in a little better shape than yours but it was a $93 group buy. It gives it character IMHO. Refinish it but please don't go full bubba on it.

Darn huh? I would rather keep the wood the way it is than have it end up like yours.
New plan: leaving the original stock alone and ordering one of those archangel sets. ;)

You say that, but when you see one in person, you'll want to barf. I know I did when I saw one on a M91/30. And yesterday on a SKS.

Have you gotten the T53 out of the stock? While yours is rough, it doesn't appear to be cracked. If the stock's f_cked on the inside, then yeah, it needs to be replaced or fixed. But if its fine inside, I'd say shoot it. Or, just leave it in the safe and let the gun be.

I'm sure if you check around local shops and at bigger places, you can find a discarded Mosin stock that'll fit. Or, check places like Gunbroker. Numrich doesn't appear to have replacement wood stocks in stock.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9A6ctjHAxE

John, please don't bubba your T-53.

Mine is in a little better shape than yours but it was a $93 group buy. It gives it character IMHO. Refinish it but please don't go full bubba on it.

I’m gonna leave the wood stock as-is. And don’t tell me what to do with my f*ckin rifle homie. ;)
Bubba’ing any gun involves doing something stupid to it that can’t be reversed. This is just a temp parts swap. You can thank Troy for corrupting my thoughts. :D

You say that, but when you see one in person, you'll want to barf. I know I did when I saw one on a M91/30. And yesterday on a SKS.

I’d have to disagree. When the wood stock goes away the ArchAngel is not a bad option. The stock has an adjustable block that goes against the barrel. With some tuning you can get some decent accuracy out of the rifle. Also gave me a chance to Duracoat the metal, which was in poor shape as well. Came out pretty good.

250E42DC-D9A1-4D24-A006-FDC248090D2E.jpeg

Have you gotten the T53 out of the stock? While yours is rough, it doesn't appear to be cracked. If the stock's f_cked on the inside, then yeah, it needs to be replaced or fixed. But if its fine inside, I'd say shoot it. Or, just leave it in the safe and let the gun be.

I'm sure if you check around local shops and at bigger places, you can find a discarded Mosin stock that'll fit. Or, check places like Gunbroker. Numrich doesn't appear to have replacement wood stocks in stock.

Ive had the rifle for years and yes I’ve had it completely apart. The stock bothers me when I shoot it with or without my thick winter beard. It’s that bad. So I want to keep its character but still enjoy shooting it.

I’d have to disagree. When the wood stock goes away the ArchAngel is not a bad option. The stock has an adjustable block that goes against the barrel. With some tuning you can get some decent accuracy out of the rifle. Also gave me a chance to Duracoat the metal, which was in poor shape as well. Came out pretty good.

You're giving me flashbacks to when I saw one like that held together with Bondo, with the front sight assembly missing from the dovetail and the bolt bent down and twisted, and a scope mount in the rear sight block.

I still cringe inside. It bothers me.

Ive had the rifle for years and yes I’ve had it completely apart. The stock bothers me when I shoot it with or without my thick winter beard. It’s that bad. So I want to keep its character but still enjoy shooting it.

I'd just get another Mosin, there's tons of M91/30s, M38s, M44s, and post-war versions (Polish, Hungarian) out there. Granted, they've appreciated in value, but who on here is actually going to suggest against buying another gun?

Like I said, if its that bad, I'd try to find a replacement wood stock first, then get a polymer one if I absolutely could not find any other options.

View attachment 462928
That's a cool Airsoft rifle.

God watching me archangel the balls off my T53 while googling “archangel Mosin stock 50rnd drum”
View attachment 462996
I've met you and like you, don't f*** that up [rofl]

787f27459d32cff240087b60197efe9b0e632d4c129737dacbeeaf1647addcab_1.jpg

You're giving me flashbacks to when I saw one like that held together with Bondo, with the front sight assembly missing from the dovetail and the bolt bent down and twisted, and a scope mount in the rear sight block.

I'd just get another Mosin, there's tons of M91/30s, M38s, M44s, and post-war versions (Polish, Hungarian) out there. Granted, they've appreciated in value, but who on here is actually going to suggest against buying another gun?

Like I said, if its that bad, I'd try to find a replacement wood stock first, then get a polymer one if I absolutely could not find any other options.
Unless your collecting I can think of better rifles to drop $300+ on .
Back when these where -$90 they where fun for shooting. Especially with the 12 cent ammo!
These rifles where born to shoot.

View attachment 462928
Thats F'n ugly........i like it.
Friend of mine bought several mosins took the best shooting one and total sport.
Cut the barrel just past the front sight , threaded for muzzle devices, removed the rear sight , had reciever DT for a PicRail and has a SS WF 10x scope , timney trigger , Boyds ProVarmint stock which he glass bedded. WHy? IDK. It is now a very good rifle, smooth action and gets MOA with Hornady Match ....... I hear he bought a heavy match barrel for it?

I had a lot of luck with murphy's and wet-sanding with a scotch brite. Going with the grain by hand only. Completely kept the character and depth, but took down the super edges.

I also have a GB'd T53. It was solid, came cosmod to the max. Also had a nasty scar and scuffs right on the check weld.

Took a few beers and slot of patience, but that area is butter smooth without looking different.

Cringe before my bubba though! I did install a rubber pad on the butt. I value my shoulder!

Love the fireballs from this guy with the surplus ammo. Wish I'd picked up more.

Only other thing I did was put shrink tubing to extend upwards slightly the front sight post. It came short for all the ranges I've tested it at.

It also has a period correct sling, and an original Finn sourced scope is sitting in a box for it and may make it's home on the rifle one day.

Thats F'n ugly........i like it.
Friend of mine bought several mosins took the best shooting one and total sport.
Cut the barrel just past the front sight , threaded for muzzle devices, removed the rear sight , had reciever DT for a PicRail and has a SS WF 10x scope , timney trigger , Boyds ProVarmint stock which he glass bedded. WHy? IDK. It is now a very good rifle, smooth action and gets MOA with Hornady Match ....... I hear he bought a heavy match barrel for it?

It’s definitely an interesting shooter. After doing some home gunsmithing with it I’m pretty happy with the results.

Have a nice M44 and 91/30 that will stay original but for $90 this rifle was easy to convert and do some work on.

Still undecided on this. The more I look at that archangel stock the less I like it. No offense Troy. ;)

Hitting CVS tonight to see if they have Murphy's oil soap. I may just end up sanding the whole thing down lightly and applying a few coats of Tru Oil. I would just like to preserve the many little stamps and markings on it. For what reason I don't know. They're interesting to me.

Back
Top Bottom