Rare Safe Queens

team519

NES Member
I am always amazed by how many people declare their firearms as ‘safe queens’, guns that were never shot or just test fired and kept in a climate controlled safe. A substantial portion is also declared as ‘rare’ or ‘collector’s items’. It gets even better when pictures accommodate those statements, and discredit the very same statements instantly (a picture is worth a thousand words). Consequently, I must be the only one at the range, shooting on a regular basis. All my firearms are in pristine condition, well cared for, and cleaned diligently every time they are used. Doesn’t matter the caliber, type or style. I don’t have a climate controlled safe or vault, but do have heat in my home. Everything is under lock and key, not for any other reason but that’s the way I was raised.

Here are some thoughts for when posting a firearm description:

-Make sure your words match your pictures (if you bolt is fouled up, you did not just test fire it and no, it did in most cases not come that way from the factory)
-Don’t tell me fairy tales (i.e. safe queen, rare) but give me the facts (round count, finish, condition, year purchased, year manufactured)
-Convey some of the excitement you felt while owning the firearm (why should I buy what you sell)
-Be honest and straight forward

What does everybody else think? Am I over the top here?

Nothing I see in the classifieds affects me. When I was into amateur astronomy, the classifieds on those forums were mostly full of people who wanted to make a reasonably quick sale to fund some other purchase. The non-dealer classifieds here are people who mostly don't care that much when or even if the gun sells. If a really good deal comes along, and you want it, you have to be quick, because a good deal really stands out.

I am always amazed by how many people declare their firearms as ‘safe queens’, guns that were never shot or just test fired and kept in a climate controlled safe. A substantial portion is also declared as ‘rare’ or ‘collector’s items’. It gets even better when pictures accommodate those statements, and discredit the very same statements instantly (a picture is worth a thousand words). Consequently, I must be the only one at the range, shooting on a regular basis. All my firearms are in pristine condition, well cared for, and cleaned diligently every time they are used. Doesn’t matter the caliber, type or style. I don’t have a climate controlled safe or vault, but do have heat in my home. Everything is under lock and key, not for any other reason but that’s the way I was raised.

-Make sure your words match your pictures (if you bolt is fouled up, you did not just test fire it and no, it did in most cases not come that way from the factory)
-Don’t tell me fairy tales (i.e. safe queen, rare) but give me the facts (round count, finish, condition, year purchased, year manufactured)
-Convey some of the excitement you felt while owning the firearm (why should I buy what you sell)

Is there a specific problem you are trying to get at here?

I've sold off all my firearms that were just sitting in my safe. Besides my Zastava, which I'm keeping as my only AK and my first rifle and my late father's hunting rifle, all my other firearms getting used and thrown around consistently.

I have a few safe queens. Things I won't shoot to maintain their collectible value.

An unfired Polytech Legend AK47 underfolder is one. NIB Smith & Wesson 547 is another. Plus a couple H&K's NIB.

I'm a collector as well as a shooter. I value these items.

I think you're a little nuts. But hey that's just me.

Safe Queen...
36cc94a702bf4a268ee5ec91ec95eb4a_xl.jpg

Safe Princess...
royal-wedding-21-82590ad70aa34e9d843e58e85307caa6.jpg

EDC... (yes, this is Megan Markle...)
6972c37905f9f8cc5827c62e1d8ff7ff

You forgot to list "always follow through on your commitments".

Screenshot_20221223_151708_Chrome.jpg

I have a Glock 17 and a S&W M&P 9 and have never cleaned either one in 6 or 7 years with average range use in warmer seasons and the fire everytime , I guess you can call the winter safe queens.

I have a few safe queens. Things I won't shoot to maintain their collectible value.

An unfired Polytech Legend AK47 underfolder is one. NIB Smith & Wesson 547 is another. Plus a couple H&K's NIB.

I'm a collector as well as a shooter. I value these items.
Me as well........but I ain't talkin'...........................

I guess we need a clear definition of a "safe queen".

I have new guns I never fired. I suppose they are considered safe queens until they get taken out.

I also have guns I bought used that I never fired. Not pristine by any means but for me could be considered safe queens.

I try to keep it simple. If its in the safe and I never fired it, new or used (not by me), then it's a safe queen until I do.

But since none of my guns are for sale nor ever will be it really doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom