• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RANT: Racism and Slowness of response claims

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
OK, someone put me in my place if I'm off-base here, but all this talk about slow response and possible racism as a factor in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast has me a little annoyed and I have to vent.

1) Comparing 9/11 and the Gulf Coast is USELESS. We were able to respond to 9/11 quickly because it was only 10 blocks or so in a major city, not a coastline that spanned 5 states with major routes cut off by damaged bridges and littered highways..

2) If the media could get in, why not a truck of water? Well, if I'm not mistaken, the media were there BEFORE the hurricane reporting on it's approach and such. The trucks bringing in supplies needed to traverse all kinds of debris strewn roads just to GET to the area. And who know show many hundreds of miles of damage, desolation, and darkness needed to be covered.

3) Pretty hard to be efficient when rescuers are also VICTIMS. Most of the people doing the rescues in the first few days were in fact the very people who had lost everything. I'm sure they were just SO efficient because of that. NOT.

4) Two days before the storm hit, it was still being predicted as only a Cat 1 or Cat 2 in some media reports. Would you get all the resources for a Cat 5 mobilized with that kind of prediction?

5) The worst of the storm was not known until a weekend when many people were probably not even reachable or had to return to the 'office' from where ever. I'm sure Sunday is such an easy day to mobilize a massive response team.

6) Why is it that the Federal Government is the one who needed to manage a city or state? They saw the HUGE storm a day in advance, yet we never heard of all the city busses and school busses being mobilized to move out people, or long lines of people walking over the bridge out of the city in the hours before the storm hit. Fact was, they made no real evacuation effort other than to say "ya might want to leave". Forgive me but people in that area have been hearing evacuation suggestions for years, why should they have looked at this one any different? And this is somehow the Federal Government's fault? When the city itself had no credibility with it's citizens that this time it was not crying wolf!

7) The flooding didn't happen immediately. The storm passed and while there was wind damage, most of the city survived just fine. Wasn't until almost a half day later that the flooding began. I'll guarantee the first 'help ' to arrive had no way of helping because the situation CHANGED!

8) People were being passed by rescuers. I'll bet they were. With the limited resources I'm pretty sure that people standing on solid dry areas were not looked upon as the 'needy' when others were on pitched roofs, trees, and other less stable places. Too bad the media only aired the crybabies on the overpasses instead of the people clinging for life on a roof or worse.0

9) The storm didn't hit just New Orleans. The width of hurricane winds were 210 miles across. It's like a storm hitting from Boston to Albany and focusing only on the flooding going on in the Back Bay. Did these people even consider that help from other places could not respond because they were busy with their own troubles? Damage from this storm ran from Texas to Florida. You'd have to pull from BEYOND those areas to get any real help.

10) Given a choice, would you rush into an area of looters and people shooting at recuers or nip over to Beloxi and actually help people you can get to? I'll guarantee you that a lot of resources were diverted to where they could actually be used.

11) I saw trucks from Los Angeles rolling in on Thursday and Friday. If help had to come from that far out, it takes a while to ARRIVE!

12) Look at all the things that DID get done. Ports were cleared, so help could come in from the sea. A focus on heavy equipment was put on the source of the floods so that they could try to stop the water. When you have limited resources available, you make choices. I'm sorry some people sat in uncomfortable places for a few days, but their life wasn't in danger, so they were not a top priority. They just had a big mouth.

13) All the power was out, no running water, flooded conditions, etc. Just where were the support and relief peopel supposed to set up base? Or are all these helpers magical and not need rest, food, shelter, etc?

14) Where the hell does it say that the people have a right to swift and perfect support from the government when disaster strikes? I think the very attitues of the people were the worst thing. All I saw on the news coverage was "ME ME ME ME ME ME ME". Granted those people had some needs, but standing on an elevated highway bitching to news reporters doesn't seem like a very productive way to secure your survival in a disaster.

15) Every single person I've seen open their mouth regarding the slowness, or crying racism, or any of the derogatory remarks are always NOWHERE near the situation, and usually dressed in a suit. How come we are not hearing from the police officer or fire fighter who's been trying to save a sinking city? Where is the interview with the relief agency explaining the difficulty getting to the areas where help was most needed? Or would that information defeat their real agenda?

16) Could relief have arrived quicker? I am 100% sure it could have. As soon as the computer models show a 10% chance of anything about to strike we could send in everything we've got. 99 times out of 100 much of that effort would be pure waste and then we'd have the liberal media complaining about the waste and the overkill. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't problem.

17) The only way you CAN 'respond' to an event is to see what you need when it's over. Took the Mayor three days to declare Marshal Law. How long do you suppose it took to notify up the ladder what kind of help was needed? You live below sea-level and yet no public alarm system seems to have been built to warn of flooding in the event of a seawall failure. And you KNOW that no real evacuation plan existed. Oh yea, George Bush is so responsible for that.

18) The Gangs seemed more organized than the local authorities, yet for some reason people in washington were expected to have an even better plan?

19) The local newspaper ran a special series several years ago that showed how a large storm would have caused the walls to fail in almost the exact same scenerio, and yet people were surprised that they did? Further, if walls are known to be sufficient for Storm size maximum of X and Storm approaching is X++, why was there ANY hesitation to get the hell out of Dodge? Should not have been a question.

20) Could it be that the complainsts are not directed to the Mayor or Governor not acting before the storm because they are Democrats?

RANT OFF. It's sad to see what happened along the Gulf Coast, but it is even sadder to see the political advantage being taken by the crisis from those that only have ambition of power.

Me too. Now if only they would place the blame where it belongs. The mayor and the governor. Plus it also goes to show how many people are actually sheep.

"If the media could get in, why not a truck of water?"

This pretty much sums up the substance of their arguements. It might be nice, except that I've no doubt that significantly more than one truck of water got in the very first day. Except, of course, there's the question of scale. A truckload of water wouldn't take care of all that many people, particularly when 98% of them have never actually had to deal with real limits before.

I've bled to protect Marines of every color, and they've done the same for me. The problem is the non-hackers who sit on their fat asses and while about how other people are falling down on their supposed responsibilities to take care of these leeches. Exhibit A: the people who were rescued from the waters and delivered to the freeway overpass, only to stand there and bitch because there was nobody to tell them whether to walk to the left or the right. It even reached the point that some of them simply sat there and waited until they died. I neither know nor care in the least what color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or musical preferences they might have had; they simply prefered death to self reliance to the very end. At least they had the courage to stick to their beliefs.

Ken

Also nothing like shooting at the ones that are trying to rescue you. [evil] Not to mention that realistically you should be able to take care of yourself at least a week,before any type of help can usually get there. Now did we see this bull happening in Mississippi? No. Argh,just going to raise my bloodpressure and make my migraine worse. [evil]

Well, Chris... I do have to argue on one point with your post...

It's "Martial Law", not "Marshal Law".

Other than that, I can't argue with anything you said! Yes, that Mayor, and her predecessors should be impeached for (help me with the term, Darius!) Malfeasance (is that the right word?) in office. They knew that their city was a big, fat target for the first Cat 5 storm that came along, and did NOTHING.

Don't they collect taxes in that city? Sure they do! Why didn't some of that money get diverted to beef up the levees? Why is it the Federal Government's job to do it? Incompetence, pure and simple.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
Well, Chris... I do have to argue on one point with your post...

It's "Martial Law", not "Marshal Law".

Other than that, I can't argue with anything you said! Yes, that Mayor, and her predecessors should be impeached for (help me with the term, Darius!) Malfeasance (is that the right word?) in office. They knew that their city was a big, fat target for the first Cat 5 storm that came along, and did NOTHING.

Don't they collect taxes in that city? Sure they do! Why didn't some of that money get diverted to beef up the levees? Why is it the Federal Government's job to do it? Incompetence, pure and simple.

Ross

Yes, indeed, Ross, that lady-mayor was malfeasing her asterisk off. Why not use city busses to take people out of the public housing area, why not have a mandatory evacuation plan in place for the low-lying areas of NO? Why not add a little height and strength to the levies?

I don't mean to needlessly Monday-morning quarterback, but these are hardly unforseeable problems.

Heads should roll, but place the blame where it belongs -- with the leaders of the cities, towns, and states where the hurricane hit.

Bush is busy defending our interests abroad. The governors and mayors should be taking care of their own.

They could have loaded school buses even to take people out,but instead neglected to do so. They had been warned of this,and should have take appropriate action. Watch them get re elected too. [roll]

It P's me off royally too Chris. And, I personally think the Mayor should be arrested - not just impeached. On both Rush's show and Jay Severins show today, they read the evacuation plan for the city. The MAYOR had the power to do whatever the hell he wanted. Did he? Nope. He's the F'ing MAYOR of a city that's FIFTEEN feet BELOW sea level. Duh! Maybe the full force of the storm didn't hit them, but they gotta know the dikes gonna spring a leak sooner or later. [roll] The Gov. isn't any better. She's sorely lacking in brains, just like the Mayor is. And the Mayor, who DIDN'T do his JOB in the first place is pointing the finger at the President????? Give me a flaming break!!! And, because the help didn't arrive the day before the storm even hit, they're screaming it's because they're black.

If I was a drinking person, I'd have one right now. [roll]

I believe also that Bush Called her to tell her that he really can't do anything UNTIL she calls him.

And I believe that he had to call a second time to ask if she needed federal help as he decalred a state of emergancy BEFORE the storms even hit.

Why don't we hear about that in the mainstream media.

And this is a long aticle. But it's a good read. And I believe part of this topic.

An Unnatural Disaster: A Hurricane Exposes the Man-Made Disaster of the Welfare State

by Robert Tracinski
Sep 02, 2005

It took four long days for state and federal officials to figure out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame them, because it also took me four long days to figure out what was going on there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if you think that we are confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just a natural disaster, the response for public officials is obvious: you bring in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation to evacuate refugees to temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop the flooding and rebuild the city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural disasters also have a familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people pulling together to survive; the hard work and dedication of doctors, nurses, and rescue workers; the steps being taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists—myself included—did not expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not happen over four days last week. It happened over the past four decades. Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be confusing. People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave in an emergency—indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in other emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have been saying that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it is not even what we expect from a Third World country.

When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion. They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in America. We are an enterprising people, used to relying on our own initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?

To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a description from a Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists, knives and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter the streets; and police and rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired on.

"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as National Guardsmen poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjackings and gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened Arkansas National Guard members were inside New Orleans with shoot-to-kill orders.

" 'These troops are...under my orders to restore order in the streets,' she said. 'They have M-16s, and they are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if necessary and I expect they will.' "

The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article shows a SWAT team with rifles and armored vests riding on an armored vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of squalid, listless people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly like a scene from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs using a natural disaster as an excuse for an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What causes unruly mobs to storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate them, causing the drivers to speed away, frightened for their lives? What causes people to attack the doctors trying to treat patients at the Superdome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to help them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage one night on Fox News Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology, which is located in the South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television coverage was a whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the "crawl"—the informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on most news channels—gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of the residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and of those who remained, a large number were from the city's public housing projects. Jack Wakeland then told me that early reports from CNN and Fox indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in the city's jails—so they just let many of them loose. [Update: I have been searching for news reports on this last story, but I have not been able to confirm it. Instead, I have found numerous reports about the collapse of the corrupt and incompetent New Orleans Police Department; see here and here.]

There is no doubt a significant overlap between these two populations--that is, a large number of people in the jails used to live in the housing projects, and vice versa.

There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New Orleans when the deluge hit—but they were trapped alongside large numbers of people from two groups: criminals—and wards of the welfare state, people selected, over decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness. The welfare wards were a mass of sheep—on whom the incompetent administration of New Orleans unleashed a pack of wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the incompetence of the city government, which failed to plan for a total evacuation of the city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary. In a city corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is to ensure the flow of handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to political supporters—not to ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell. In fact, some are already actively distorting it, blaming President Bush, for example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans had drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable piece from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames the chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the opposite: the chaos was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

People living in piles of their own trash, while petulantly complaining that other people aren't doing enough to take care of them and then shooting at those who come to rescue them—this is not just a description of the chaos at the Superdome. It is a perfect summary of the 40-year history of the welfare state and its public housing projects.

The welfare state—and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages—is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2, 2005

Cross-X said:
So, Chris, what do you like to drink?

Well, what I LIKE to drink isn't served at Riverside. But that matters not as I'm not supposed to drink it anyway. However, I do take an occational nip from my collection of Irish and Scotch Single Malts or even a rare dip into the Remy on special occations.

HA hA HA HA HA HA HA HA

News Item: Massachusetts setting up to house 2500 people from the Gulf Coast evacuations.

Massachusetts Officials: All those that want to come up to Massachusetts, please form a line here.

*Nothing Moves*

Mass Officials: We have good housing with private baths and plenty of food and other stuff

*nobody moves*

Mass officials: You'll be staying on Cape Cod and we'll have daily shuttles to the beach

*complete avoidance*

Mass Officials: We;ll even help you relocate and get jobs.

*one man rises from his bunk and approaches. In a voice loud enough for all to hear he speaks.

Man: None of us would ever willingly go to that Liberal hellhole governed by the likes of Kennedy. We care about our freedom and would rather return to the Superdome.

*Entire facility errupts in loud cheering*

Boston Globe Reports: People don't want to come to Massachusetts because it is too far.

YEA - TOO FAR LEFT! (^_^)

Raflmao.gif
bow_down.gif

Back
Top Bottom