• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rant on Malden PD LTC process

So one of my friends was interested in getting her LTC, I made sure she scheduled a safety class at Mass Firearms School and I went with her to sit in on the class. Recently we took a ride down to her PD, Malden PD to pick up the application and I just wanted to share my experience and it's also kind of a rant because the experience pissed me off enough to think about calling and speaking to a supervisor.

We walked in and ask for an application, we were handed one along with their list of requirements. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was they wanted (3) letters of reference from someone other than a family member.

I then asked what the process was like at their PD. The first thing out of the Sgts. mouth was, "It's very very hard to apply here", in a firm tone of voice. I then started questioning him on why it was so hard, after kind of stumbling around the question he said, "that's the way the chief deals with it". I again asked why, and he just said "that's the way it is" and began to give the "are you guys all set, anything else I can do for you?" We said no and walked out. It wasn't a very positive experience is all I can say.

Now the first thing out of my friends mouth to me was, "if it's so hard, should I even apply, is it even worth it?" Now when I heard this I got even more pissed off at the Sgt than I was.

I wonder how many people just don't even bother trying to apply after having a conversation like that with an officer at the window. This state sucks. I'm glad that I live in a green town and already have my LTC with no restrictions.

the green-ness of a town can change at a whim based on whoever the chief/licensing officer is and however he's feeling that day.

Reason #1 I hate this state.

Thats the same requirement I had to go thru 8+ years ago when I first got my LTC-A, that's nothing new. There are certain days and hours when they take firearms applications. Unless things have changed since I was there last.

They tried pulling that 3 letters requirement on me when I was applying for my FID when I was 18. To try to scare me off. I later realized it was not needed for the FID.

Last edited:
So one of my friends was interested in getting her LTC, I made sure she scheduled a safety class at Mass Firearms School and I went with her to sit in on the class. Recently we took a ride down to her PD, Malden PD to pick up the application and I just wanted to share my experience and it's also kind of a rant because the experience pissed me off enough to think about calling and speaking to a supervisor.

We walked in and ask for an application, we were handed one along with their list of requirements. The only thing that was out of the ordinary was they wanted (3) letters of reference from someone other than a family member.

I then asked what the process was like at their PD. The first thing out of the Sgts. mouth was, "It's very very hard to apply here", in a firm tone of voice. I then started questioning him on why it was so hard, after kind of stumbling around the question he said, "that's the way the chief deals with it". I again asked why, and he just said "that's the way it is" and began to give the "are you guys all set, anything else I can do for you?" We said no and walked out. It wasn't a very positive experience is all I can say.

Now the first thing out of my friends mouth to me was, "if it's so hard, should I even apply, is it even worth it?" Now when I heard this I got even more pissed off at the Sgt than I was.

I wonder how many people just don't even bother trying to apply after having a conversation like that with an officer at the window. This state sucks. I'm glad that I live in a green town and already have my LTC with no restrictions.
If the only thing out of the ordinary is the 3 letters, what is it that pissed you off? The Sgt stumbling around when he answered your questions? I guess I'm missing the part that pissed you off and made you want to call a supervisor.

If the only thing out of the ordinary is the 3 letters, what is it that pissed you off? The Sgt stumbling around when he answered your questions? I guess I'm missing the part that pissed you off and made you want to call a supervisor.
Really?

Yes, really. What part of that description is any different from any other town? He said the only thing out of the ordinary was the 3 letter requirement. Is he pissed because the Sgt said it's really wicked hard to get your LTC here because the chief wants it that way? What's the really wicked hard part, the 3 letters? Because everything else seems pretty normal. No real flaming hoops to jump thru like some other departments.

I didn't have any trouble getting unrestricted Class A in Malden. I just got 3 of my friends to write letters for me. The thing that was a pain was they only take the applications during very limited hours and I had go in when I was on vacation from work to get it done.

What pissed me off was the way the Sgt. spoke to my friend and that after the conversation she questioned if it was even worth going through the trouble to apply. Also, pissed me off that this Sgt. may have turned other people away from even applying.

This is not how to treat citizens that want to exercise their 2nd amendment right.

I read it that the Sgt. is implying that it is now very difficult to receive an LTC-A unrestricted because of the new chief's policy

What pissed me off was the way the Sgt. spoke to my friend and that after the conversation she questioned if it was even worth going through the trouble to apply. Also, pissed me off that this Sgt. may have turned other people away from even applying.

This is not how to treat citizens that want to exercise their 2nd amendment right.
I guess I don't see where the problem is. The sgt spoke to you and your friend in a firm tone and said it was difficult to get an LTC there. What would you expect ? A red carpet and golden pens to sign your name with? If your friend questioned whether it's worth getting the the LTC, I got news for you, that's your friends issue. Was the Sgt rude? Condescending? Insulting? Did the Sgt possibly turn people away, or did the people get buttsad and decide not to follow thru. Where were the citizens mistreated that want to exercise their 2A right? It sounds like thicker skin is in order here, the local PDs most likely aren't going to kiss your ass.

Yes, really. What part of that description is any different from any other town? He said the only thing out of the ordinary was the 3 letter requirement. Is he pissed because the Sgt said it's really wicked hard to get your LTC here because the chief wants it that way? What's the really wicked hard part, the 3 letters? Because everything else seems pretty normal. No real flaming hoops to jump thru like some other departments.
you must be a LEO because the letters are BS and you know it. its not a Fed or State requirement. Why was the office rude? why did he make the statement "its really hard to get one here" there is no need for all this BS and you know it. Have a nice day sir

My cousin just got hers in Melrose which was similar to Malden IIRC, good luck.

Melrose is a very green town.

I met the Malden COP a year or so ago when the anti-gunners came to town to spew their hatred and BS. He seemed like a pro-2A guy and was advocating for keeping the criminals locked up rather than making it more difficult for us. I believe he made statement tot the effect that he never arrested an LTC holder for a gun crime, most were gang related.

I am sure calling a supervisor and complaining about a Sgt. that was not cute and cuddly to you will absolutly help your friend along with the process. In a way you should have thanked him, now ya know they are going to be cocksuckers about the process. Make sure "your friends" shit is squared away and send to her another class with live fire, it will look better that she has taken multiple classes including live fire.

Should she have to do all this, when I can just walk in to my PD and drop off my app and wait for a call? No. Its the reality of living in this communist republic of Ma. If you dont like how the system works, do something about it. Run for office, start talking to people, write letters to the chicken ****ers in the state house, sue the town for violation of 2a. Do somethig useful.....or just complain about it on nes and continue kicking the can down the road.

Last edited:
Thats the same requirement I had to go thru 8+ years ago when I first got my LTC-A, that's nothing new. There are certain days and hours when they take firearms applications. Unless things have changed since I was there last.

They tried pulling that 3 letters requirement on me when I was applying for my FID when I was 18. To try to scare me off. I later realized it was not needed for the FID.
Lawrence PD tried pulling the "doctor's letter" routine on one of my friends when he applied for his FID. I called BS on that one and told him to tell the LO that he would wait 40 days then go to court and force the issue. He got the FID without further trouble. Sometimes, you just have to stand up for your rights.

Green only means that in the end you are likely to walk out with an unrestricted LTC-A. It has nothing to do with how hard or long the process will be.

you must be a LEO because the letters are BS and you know it. its not a Fed or State requirement. Why was the office rude? why did he make the statement "its really hard to get one here" there is no need for all this BS and you know it. Have a nice day sir
Yes, I am an LEO, and yes, the letters are indeed BS, no doubt about it. The OP never said the Sgt was rude. In fact he said the ONLY thing out of the ordinary was the 3 letter requirement. If that was it, why the need to question the Sgt in the first place, we all know that the Sgt has zero to do with the process, and that he or she doesn't make the policy, it's the chief. The letters are BS, but a hoop that unfortunately has to be jumped through to get your LTC. Maybe you can fund an attorney for the OPs friend.

First off I don't think spouting off here was a very wise thing to do but hey,whatever makes your boat float. Complaining to the Lt or the Capt would not have been on my list of things to do. I know the 3 letters isn't required under state law BUT the CLA is allowed to make any rules he/she wants. When I first got my LTC back in 82 it was required to join a gun club in a very tough town. I did it and never had a problem.
Personally I would have followed the process to the letter and waited to see what happens. BTW my current town wants references and I was never called about the people who used me as such.

We all realize that its not close to being a perfect world in this state regarding gun laws. Millions are being spent and we're barely getting by. I keep my memberships up with GOAL and NRA plus a few clubs. The hope is nothing changes till I gtfo of this useless state.

Malden does have a new chief who seems very Pro 2A but maybe I'm wrong.

I applied a couple years ago and the 3 references have always been a requirement.
My gf will be applying within the next week or so, I will keep everyone updated on that.
Before we had this new chief we were a green town.
I haven't heard any first hand experience regarding LTC's since he has been chief, hopefully it's as easy a process for her as it was for me. Shit I never even met with the old chief submitted the app and sat with the secretary.

Queue the apologists...

I personally wouldn't rant like this with the town name until she has her LTC. They might pull the B.S. suitabilty on her. It happened before, someone on here did not get their LTC for posting here, because the chief felt that they were "too anxious" to get it.

Back
Top Bottom