Ranges for non-licensed person to rent and shoot

Asking for a coworker who I frequently take to the range with me.

His son is coming up for the holidays, and he wants to take him shooting. I'd like to take them myself, but my schedule is booked solid for the holidays.

Other than Bobs in Salisbury, are there any ranges he could go to without a license and do some shooting with his son?

Edit: he's from Watertown, so trying to find something reasonably close

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you may have to call and ask...their website says that guests don't need to be licensed but it also says guests without a license need to pay for a range session...
mass firearms school holliston (can bring your own ammo)

not sure about these guys...
american firearms school north attleboro (have to buy their ammo)

Last edited:
MFS in Manchester for state of the art range and rentals.

There's another 1-2 places in Southeastern NH as well, but not familiar with them.

There's another 1-2 places in Southeastern NH as well, but not familiar with them.

Granite State indoor range in Hudson, NH I believe has a pay once to shoot as many guns in the same caliber as you wish. MFL you need to pay for each pistol/ gun you want to use. I have not been but have read positive reviews. Still a bit away, but better than nothing.

I was at Manchester Firing Line over the weekend. Super nice place staffed with very helpful, friendly people. Big stable of guns to rent, but I don't know about renting to unlicensed people.

Granite State indoor range in Hudson, NH I believe has a pay once to shoot as many guns in the same caliber as you wish. MFL you need to pay for each pistol/ gun you want to use. I have not been but have read positive reviews. Still a bit away, but better than nothing.

I went here. Nice place. Not only do you only pay 20 to rent any gun in the same caliber its 20 dollars a day to shoot. You can even leave and go back.

Good info. I'll relay so he can make some calls.

Thank you to All that responded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to GSIR, good group of people working there, good selection of firearms, pricing is better than MFL if you're going to be there for a few hours.

I was at Manchester Firing Line over the weekend. Super nice place staffed with very helpful, friendly people. Big stable of guns to rent, but I don't know about renting to unlicensed people.

Being that they are locAted in new Hampshire where you dont need no stinking license....good to go. I've rented lanes there in the past and no license was required.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cockpitbob

"Being that they are located in new Hampshire where you dont need no stinking license....good to go. I've rented lanes there in the past and no license was required."

The only requirements for rental guns at Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH is being of legal age, confirming no Prohibited Person back ground on check in sheet and If renting guns, that you not be alone (Parties of 2 or more). They will not rent to an unlicensed shooter if shooting alone.

Last edited:
quote_icon.png

"Being that they are located in new Hampshire where you dont need no stinking license....good to go. I've rented lanes there in the past and no license was required."

The only requirements for rental guns at Manchester Firing Line in Manchester, NH is being of legal age, confirming no Prohibited Person back ground on check in sheet and If renting guns, that you not be alone (Parties of 2 or more). They will not rent to an unlicensed shooter if shooting alone.

Slightly inaccurate statement in bold. More detailed:
ONLY if you are alone AND need to rent our firearms, you will need to present a certificate showing you have completed a course or have a LTC/CCW from a state that requires a course completion prior to certification.. If you bring a friend with you to the range, these restrictions do not apply.

So, yes, a MA LTC qualifies, or having the Safety Cource Certificate is adequate, BUT a NH PRL does not meet their requirements. Additionally, one time I went alone and wanted to try something, they let me rent alone because I had brought a firearm with me. YMMV with that last one :D

quote_icon.png

What license are they looking for if you are from nh a p and r?

Granite State in Hudson NH is good. As with all the others I've been to in NH, they don't care about whether you have a permit. Everyone I've been to in MA requires that at least one person has a permit and those without must share a lane with a permitted person.

Granite State in Hudson NH is good. As with all the others I've been to in NH, they don't care about whether you have a permit. Everyone I've been to in MA requires that at least one person has a permit and those without must share a lane with a permitted person.

GSIR has some solo renter rules as well, a call to someone or something like that.

GSIR has some solo renter rules as well, a call to someone or something like that.

Yes. If you are shooting alone and renting a gun, they want to call someone to make sure you are in a good state of mind.

American Firearms School in North Attleboro used to, but I dunno if the policy changed after the suicides there the past couple of years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

At least part of the reason for ranges in MA not allowing an unlicensed person to shoot, unless they are with a licensed person, is because under MGL an unlicensed person can only posses/use a firearm in the presence of a licensed person. Even the better indoor ranges don't have an SO 100% of the time, certainly not when it's slow, and even when they try to that person might leave to attend to bodily functions. So even though "presence" isn't clearly defined, and isn't "direct control", it would be a hard sell to convince a judge that someone is in you presence when there is a door between you.

American Firearms School in North Attleboro used to, but I dunno if the policy changed after the suicides there the past couple of years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

AFS does indeed allow someone to rent without a license but they must be with another person in order to rent (they can also be unlicensed).

I'm hoping MFS in Holliston does this also as they have a few guns I'd be interested in. If anyone finds out before me and reads this please report back!

I've specifically asked MFS in Holliston and the answer is NO. A licensed and an unlicensed person can share a lane, but each lane must have at least one licensed person. This was about 4 months ago, I doubt it's changed.

AFS does indeed allow someone to rent without a license but they must be with another person in order to rent (they can also be unlicensed).

I'm hoping MFS in Holliston does this also as they have a few guns I'd be interested in. If anyone finds out before me and reads this please report back!

Bobs in Salisbury .......That place is cursed. 5 or 6 suicides that I can recall.
rented to 2 people once and they both shot each other...Double suicide.
Go to manchester , less doom

Bobs in Salisbury .......That place is cursed. 5 or 6 suicides that I can recall.
rented to 2 people once and they both shot each other...Double suicide.
Go to manchester , less doom

Less gloom maybe, but a hell of a lot scarier.

I can confirm AFS as well. Wife and I went a couple of months ago before we were licensed.

I've specifically asked MFS in Holliston and the answer is NO. A licensed and an unlicensed person can share a lane, but each lane must have at least one licensed person. This was about 4 months ago, I doubt it's changed.

Thank you very much. It's strange because on their faq they state an unlicensed person can shoot as a non member and an unlicensed can be a member,but they dance around the question if they can rent with another unlicensed person etc...

Thank you very much. It's strange because on their faq they state an unlicensed person can shoot as a non member and an unlicensed can be a member,but they dance around the question if they can rent with another unlicensed person etc...

I actually asked about how an unlicensed member was supposed to shoot and was told he's have to bring a licensed guest. I couldn't understand why anyone would do this.

But that's OK since Granite State will gladly take your money and let you shoot regardless whether you have any license and their range isn't freezing on cold days.

We allow non-licensed people to purchase memberships so that they can take advantage of class discounts and discounts for personal range sessions with an instructor ($39) while they wait for their license to come in.

It's actually a pretty good deal as their year membership doesn't actually begin counting down until they get their license.

We never set up the program with the idea that people would get a membership and never get a license. It was set up so that people, while waiting for their license, could take advantage of some range time and get some additional experience before their license came in.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom