Range Safety Rant

The Goose

NES Member
Saturday I hit the range like I normally do. I shot inside. When I finished shooting I saw that I had thrown a lot of brass forward of the firing line. There was only one other guy shooting so I requested a cease fire and he politely stepped behind the red line and I proceeded to go downrange and sweep up my brass.

While I was sweeping two fellows came in and when I turned around they were at one of the stations unpacking their gear. I asked them to step back until I was finished. They gave me a somewhat blank look and said OK and stepped back.

A minor incident and everyone was nice, but I get really tired of this crap. Something like this happens about 50% of the time when I go to shoot. I mean this is really basic stuff. Also what about the other guy who just stood there? My back was turned, how about a little assistance. Range safety is everyone's responsibility. Frankly, it is a chilling feeling to be downrange and to turn around and see a couple of guys handling stuff on the line.

It is bad enough to make a mistake, but we all make mistakes. I am equally amazed how few folks will speak up and mention it. Hell, when I have made a mistake ) and I have) I appreciate the person who points it out and if I made a really bad goof I would expect to get reamed. Gun handling is serious business. We should all wake up and treat it that way.

Aside from what is posted at our rangers we put constant safety reminders in the club's monthly newletter. Most clubs have them so it might not be a bad idea to ask the club secretary to post a few safety reminders each month if it's not already happening....

I'm glad everyone was polite and nobody was injured.

DF&G pretty much encourages everyone to help out all the time. " Please step behind the yellow line. " is heard frequently , ranging from friendly heckling to serious backblast.

Those who do not take it seriously , are politely asked to get their gear together and get the f out.

There was an incident withan AK with 30round mag and a parent & kid session where the kid was short enough that the gun rested it's mag on the table pivoted way UP , skyward beyond the backstop. They were shut down pretty damn fast.

Sunday morning shooting should not lead to hospitals and funerals.

Thanks for the post Goose... This is a good reminder for everyone not only to practice safe firearms handling at the range but to also speak up tactfully when you see someone not being safe.

Goose,

Do they have a flashing red light for cease fires? If not, they should, so it's visible to anyone entering the range during a cease fire.

Additionally, it needs to be drilled that "everyone is an RO" and required to look for, advise and report any infractions.

Glad no harm came from it, but you are right, it is unnerving.

Goose, I've recently had that happen to me at Woburn Sportsmens Club. Older guy with "biker" type jacket? Turns out that the guy wasn't a member, which explained why he wasn't aware of the rules. He claimed that he believed that range was "open to anyone", Yuh, right.

We have a "No Handling of Firearms" during our ceasefires when anyone is forward of the firing line also. Were the new shooters handling firearms or just unpacking other items shorts of their handguns? I guess in any case it might be un-nerving. Our Indoor Range Committee discussed allowing the reloading of magazines during ceasefires but after discussing it we decided against that as a possible safety problem.

However it is permitted on the outdoor ranges..The reason being that during our open Thursday Night shoots we tend to get more inexperienced shooters and non-members so we decided to lend towards safety and establish the No Loading Rule. No one has ever commented on it.

I agree that it's not what you say, but how you say it. Learned that from being on the road with my department for a bunch of years.

Last edited:
Yes, it's quite baffling isn't it? I can't believe how pathetic many people are when it comes to handling their guns. I was at the range the other day and this guy was showing me all his 1911s. Unfortunately his muzzle was all over the place and his trigger finger was on the trigger! I told him he shouldn't have his finger on the trigger and always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction... he said "it isn't loaded, don't worry". I told him it's important and please do it anyway. This is just one of the many times I've had to say something... simply amazing. Once at the range I was there shooting .45s and when I turned around this older guy was shooting without glasses....

I'm a strong believer in the 2nd A, but some people just aren't bright enough to have a gun IMHO.

I always try to be careful and realize I too can make a mistake and have to be alert with everything I do. Some of these guys are just making a mistake more likley by an order of magnitude.

Last edited:
Goose, I've recently had that happen to me at Woburn Sportsmens Club. Older guy with "biker" type jacket? Turns out that the guy wasn't a member, which explained why he wasn't aware of the rules. He claimed that he believed that range was "open to anyone", Yuh, right.
At least Woburn didn't have the problem that Pelham Fish & Game in NH had. One day a road sign (a real one, put up by the highway people) showed up "Public Shooting Range". The "Public" has since been covered over.

At least Woburn didn't have the problem that Pelham Fish & Game in NH had. One day a road sign (a real one, put up by the highway people) showed up "Public Shooting Range". The "Public" has since been covered over.

[rofl] [laugh2]

That was nice of them... [thinking]

A big +1
I have been out shooting with people who have no concept of a firing line, they go up and tape targets while people are shooting, they stand in front/behind each other and shoot, one person pointed a loaded rifle at another person in front of him and to the left while clearing a jam. I say my piece and leave.

The most important thing is a thorough orientation. Most people have no idea what the accepted conventions should be at a club and wont be able to figure it out without someone showing them. The dingbats wont figure it out no matter what though.

I have joined a couple of clubs that have no orientation, and let me tell you there is some interesting stuff going on at those clubs. :-/

B

Question about range rules. I've been to a number of clubs and some rules seem to be different depending upon where you are. What are your thougts about reloading your mags when the range is cold and people are down range? Some places allow this, while others don't. What do you think?

Question about range rules. I've been to a number of clubs and some rules seem to be different depending upon where you are. What are your thougts about reloading your mags when the range is cold and people are down range? Some places allow this, while others don't. What do you think?

As long as your are not at the firing line (behind what ever red/yellow line exists) and you do not have any guns present (bagged or boxed is fine) it is a non-issue. Mags don't go bang, one cannot accidentally make a mag go bang. Might as well outlaw springs and cell phones behind the line.

As long as your are not at the firing line (behind what ever red/yellow line exists) and you do not have any guns present (bagged or boxed is fine) it is a non-issue. Mags don't go bang, one cannot accidentally make a mag go bang. Might as well outlaw springs and cell phones behind the line.

+1. Unless the management is super anal, most places will allow
reloading mags during cease-fire, and I don't see why not, unless the
magazine is integral to the firearm!

-Mike

my club's rule is when anyone is down range nobody is touching anything on the line and everyone is stepped away except for an RO that checks to see that all firearms ar opened and empty. Ammo and firearms are opened and closed on the line...not in your car or truck....

What are your thougts about reloading your mags when the range is cold and people are down range? Some places allow this, while others don't. What do you think?
It's the gun that goes bang, not the mags. As long as you are physically away from the gun, I've got no problem with it.

Guns can only go off if someone is messing with them -- so don't touch and step back while someone is downrange.

At most any defensive handgun training class, while the instructor is standing in front of the students talking at them, the students are watching, listening, and simultaneously refilling their mags (their guns stay safely holstered).

my club's rule is when anyone is down range nobody is touching anything on the line and everyone is stepped away except for an RO that checks to see that all firearms ar opened and empty. Ammo and firearms are opened and closed on the line...not in your car or truck....

The reason I ask is for this exact reason. I was with a friend shooting who was a member of a small club out west. When the range went cold I backed off and was loading a mag when a member next to us came over and started giving me an earful about range rules and how I was breaking them. I apologized and indicated it was allowed at my range. The guy seemed to get pissed at my comments and said that no loading mag rule was at every range and I obviously had no idea what I was talking about and that I was an unsafe shooter. blah blah blah. I let it drop, but double checked at my range and it's allowed. I hate getting yelled at by people like that.

RockRivr1, the problem wasn't what the guy told you, it was how he told it. We have people like that on this forum to. Guys like that aren't worth breaking a sweat over.

The reason I ask is for this exact reason. I was with a friend shooting who was a member of a small club out west. When the range went cold I backed off and was loading a mag when a member next to us came over and started giving me an earful about range rules and how I was breaking them. I apologized and indicated it was allowed at my range. The guy seemed to get pissed at my comments and said that no loading mag rule was at every range and I obviously had no idea what I was talking about and that I was an unsafe shooter. blah blah blah. I let it drop, but double checked at my range and it's allowed. I hate getting yelled at by people like that.

when you commented that it was ok at your range he could have nicely explained that it's not allowed there. But your friend should have also informed you of the rules at his/her club.

When I bring people shooting I assume they know nothing when I bring them to my club. My friends have shot with me for years and I give them the ear full on the way up and before we open anything on the line.

Safety should always be your most important consideration at any range, whether the management or other shooters realize it or not. Still, you need to remember that wherever you go, there are going to be people who whose primary goal in any encounter with another person is to find some way to behave like pompus, self-righteous windbags. You'll find that at the range, in gun shops, at work, and even here. [rolleyes]

Ken

+1. Unless the management is super anal, most places will allow
reloading mags during cease-fire, and I don't see why not, unless the
magazine is integral to the firearm!

-Mike

I've never encountered a no mag rule at a range. Loading a removable magazine during a no shoot period is just being efficient. As long as the magazine isn't being placed back into the weapon, it shouldn't be a problem.

Gary

No breaking a sweat here. Just didn't want my friend to get any flak due to him bringing me along.

There was only one time I broke a sweat and it was a complete safety rules and clashing shooters debacle that happened last year up at Pelham. I had gone up to Pelham for a group shoot that was being sponsored by a member over at another forum. I had gone a couple times before and there was always a group of 10 people that showed up and had a great time. This past, and last I might add, time a group of 20 people showed up. It was a great warm day and just so happen a number of board members where there and they were not happy we had such a large group. They watched us closely at the handgun range, which was fine because we were being safe.

Things when to hell in a hand basket though when we got to the rifle range. We were on the far right of the range in a separate area as the main range had a lot of other shooters. Everyone unloaded and there was close to 40 plus rifles out on the tables. We went down range and set up a LOT of paper targets and then commensed shooting. I think the one member was getting a little overwhelmed at that point. The board members came over to yell at him a few times. Not exactly sure why, but he was starting to get frazzled. Then an obvious blooper happened. A guy had a semi auto WWII machine gun repro. It was hand cranked and he started shooting. At first he was low on the berm and fine, but he did start to go higher on the berm. That was when things went to hell.

Before anyone knew what happened a band of shooters from the main range converged on us. They were yelling for a cease fire and two of the senior members started yelling big time at the member with us. Here's where the rules went down the tubes. A group told us to start packing our crap and get out, while another group started yelling at others to get down range and pull targets. Before you knew it we had people down range and others packing up rifles. I actually had a live round in my bolt action and didn't have time to unload before the group went down range. Oh man, when the main group of members heard that things went into fiasco mode. I made sure no one went close to my rifle and I almost thought there was going to be some fists flying before it was over.

Member lost his membership and a lot of people were put in danger that day.

I've never encountered a no mag rule at a range. Loading a removable magazine during a no shoot period is just being efficient. As long as the magazine isn't being placed back into the weapon, it shouldn't be a problem.

Gary

We don't allow any firearm or ammo handling when someone is down range. If the shooting has ceased and everyone is on this side of the line then no problem. Before someone crosses the line all firearms must be empty and open to be inspected, firearms wiull have been checked and cleared, all ammo down and all shooters step back from the line unless you are going forward of it downrange to change out your target.

Our indoor range is the same poilicy but rarely does anyone go down range as we have target trolleys.

It's not me...those are the rules.

No breaking a sweat here. Just didn't want my friend to get any flak due to him bringing me along.

There was only one time I broke a sweat and it was a complete safety rules and clashing shooters debacle that happened last year up at Pelham. I had gone up to Pelham for a group shoot that was being sponsored by a member over at another forum. I had gone a couple times before and there was always a group of 10 people that showed up and had a great time. This past, and last I might add, time a group of 20 people showed up. It was a great warm day and just so happen a number of board members where there and they were not happy we had such a large group. They watched us closely at the handgun range, which was fine because we were being safe.

Things when to hell in a hand basket though when we got to the rifle range. We were on the far right of the range in a separate area as the main range had a lot of other shooters. Everyone unloaded and there was close to 40 plus rifles out on the tables. We went down range and set up a LOT of paper targets and then commensed shooting. I think the one member was getting a little overwhelmed at that point. The board members came over to yell at him a few times. Not exactly sure why, but he was starting to get frazzled. Then an obvious blooper happened. A guy had a semi auto WWII machine gun repro. It was hand cranked and he started shooting. At first he was low on the berm and fine, but he did start to go higher on the berm. That was when things went to hell.

Before anyone knew what happened a band of shooters from the main range converged on us. They were yelling for a cease fire and two of the senior members started yelling big time at the member with us. Here's where the rules went down the tubes. A group told us to start packing our crap and get out, while another group started yelling at others to get down range and pull targets. Before you knew it we had people down range and others packing up rifles. I actually had a live round in my bolt action and didn't have time to unload before the group went down range. Oh man, when the main group of members heard that things went into fiasco mode. I made sure no one went close to my rifle and I almost thought there was going to be some fists flying before it was over.

Member lost his membership and a lot of people were put in danger that day.

that does sound dicey......we don't have that many outside positions. But your friend should have asked a few of you to act as RO's to control the line and oversee safety of that range since the group was so large. He could have also asked some other members to help him out. It sounds like he didn't clear it with the club's range committee before he invited that large group of friends. It's too bad that happened and thankfully nobody was hurt.

The guy seemed to get pissed at my comments and said that no loading mag rule was at every range and I obviously had no idea what I was talking about and that I was an unsafe shooter. blah blah blah. I let it drop, but double checked at my range and it's allowed. I hate getting yelled at by people like that.

You should have told them that they have a NO Coots rule at your range as well. [smile]

abe_simpson.png

I remember one guy, that would listen to hear if someone was shooting more than five shots. If he heard one more, he would race up to the pistol range with glee on his face just to give some Noob a going over. World class A** Hole.

I had to laugh about this when I drove by WSA at lunch time and saw the big "MEMBERS ONLY" sign in big red letters!

I had to laugh about this when I drove by WSA at lunch time and saw the big "MEMBERS ONLY" sign in big red letters!

That is a big problem at WSA. You can see the pistol range from middlesex turnpike and it is just too inviting when the gate is open. It would be a good idea to install a gate like the one at Reading, and I'm kinda surprised that the club hasn't done that.

B

Back
Top Bottom