range rules

Sorry if it's a Dupe

I agree with most, But the timed fire kills me.
It's tough to train for matches if I have to fire slowly.
No Naming the club. I belong to 4

No shooting in back of or side of shooting bench line. Agree

All targets must be mounted on target frames or in such a manner that all bullets will impact in the sand backstop or steel backstops. No round shall strike the ground or telephone pole baffles. Agree

No combat shooting of any type allowed. Combat shooting is defined as follows: A simulated encounter, action shooting, or fight between two parties (or more) usually a person and a foe represented by various target types and positions utilizing firearms for defensive purposes.
Agree

Shooting must not exceed a Timed Fire rate of 5 fairly spaced rounds in 20 seconds. Disagree

Misfires are to be placed in the receptacles on the range, do not leave them where unauthorized persons could gain access. Agree

No full automatic fire of any type allowed. Range to small Agree

All Shooters are required to pick up their brass and targets. Agree

Eye and Ear protection are required. Agree

Why would you make this post but not name the club? Who cares? Their range rules are probably posted on their website or otherwise publicly available.

Why would you make this post but not name the club? Who cares? Their range rules are probably posted on their website or otherwise publicly available.

It just stinks that we can't shoot at the club the way we shoot matches.
Just venting. No one home to vent too .

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you agree with no action shooting or full auto?

No burms on the side.
I must have not thought the full auto through. I don't have one [frown]

Leave the club, or work to change the rules.

The rules were put there for a reason....it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but times have changed.

Many of the rules date from the days when the only "legitimate" form of match shooting was the NRA gallery course, and rate of fire/loading limits evolved to prevent any "wild" actions beyond that of gallery shooting.

The rules were put there for a reason....it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but times have changed.

When I joined, the rules were much more lax.
In the last few months, things have gotten worse.
While shooting 1 day a car pulls up and a member shows up to check my badge. I think its not going to last too much longer. New development next door Bullets found on the adjacent rooftops of some buildings. I think they were thrown up disgruntled neighbors to kill the club.

i agree with this, but some clubs are in a deep trench with their

thinking. One thing would bother me the most, if the club host

an event, then a member should be able to practice that in the same

club..... i'm leaving one for that reason.

If you're capable of shooting faster than 15 rounds per minute you should probably just register yourself as a Class 3 weapon. I can see where they're coming from on that one. [banana]

My club is kinda Fuddish but as long as you can keep the rounds on paper you can shoot as quickly as you want to.

Errrh, that is only 5 rounds at a time though from a handgun, 10 from a rifle. Then reload.

No burms on the side.
I must have not thought the full auto through. I don't have one [frown]

The lack of side berms is not a reason to prohibit action shooting. We run indoor matches all the time where all bullets must hit the backstop.

I had a range officer freak out on me cause I had a 15+1 mag for my 1911. Once I explained it was preban he unloaded it under a min. Then told me to do the same. All rounds where on target .......... Guess I'm a class 3 weapon lol.

I don't under stand clubs that don't allow
Bad guy/girl targets... Or zombi targets.

Or the one rental place me and a buddy went to in vegas...that told us to leave because we put 6 six inch stick on targets on to a target we shot already. We shot the too 3 then flipped it so we whereby shooting to low or high. but yet didn't kick the people out visiting Vegas that didn't speak English and wouldn't stop pointing loaded glocks at us or shot the ceiling every time we fired the s&w 500

I heard about a club you can only have 5rds loaded cause a semi can turn full auto at free will

Send it!

This is a mixed bag. I think if you can handle it, you should be able to shoot as fast as you want, as many rounds as your gun holds.

However.

I have lost count of the numbnutz I have seen at one of the clubs I belong to that step up to the 25 yard line with a large caliber piece and begin firing as fast as they can. Only problem is, by the third round, they are shooting in the gravel and the ricochets are heading off to who knows where.

So, I can see where the "old grumpy types" get tired of this BS and start creating "rules". But I think the best way to cure this is have someone check out a person who wants to do that type of shooting, though that gets all sort of messy too. It is a real problem.

When I am present, I very nicely introduce myself, and ask if they noticed they were shooting in the gravel and then procede from there. If they get snarky, I explain to them I live downrange, and I really don't give a rat's butt what they think, they are gonna stop shooting in the gravel, period. That rarely happens, because most of them are very new shooters and have no idea what they are doing and would like some help anyhow after their poor display of shooting skill.

I suppose some of this fast shooting stuff comes from the movies, which emphasize LOTS of very fast shooting. Of course, nobody ever misses. Even when they are upside down flying through the air.

I hate ranges and their rules with a passion. I am extremely jealous of people who can just go to some remote spot, set up and shoot with no distractions.

My dream:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is going to sound bad, but every time I see one of these threads, I'm SO glad I'm a member at Harvard

When I joined, the rules were much more lax.
In the last few months, things have gotten worse.
While shooting 1 day a car pulls up and a member shows up to check my badge. I think its not going to last too much longer. New development next door Bullets found on the adjacent rooftops of some buildings. I think they were thrown up disgruntled neighbors to kill the club.

Crows pick them up and drop them on nearby rooftops - happened to our club, too.

No rapid fire. GMAFB , please.

I define " rapid fire" , as implied by the rules , as : an unsafe ROF. So I shoot no faster than I can hit the target. If everything is through the target and into the backstop it's not rapid fire , as far as I am concerned.

Even if someone else thinks it is.

Back
Top Bottom