Range Report: SR556

Had a chance yesterday to go out and put my SR through its paces.

SR556, 16" 1:9, Leupold HAMR 4x scope
Midway Dogtown 55gr hollowpoints, ~24.0gr IMR 4064

I didn't label these reloads so the powder charge could be a little off- shame on me and lesson already learned. Anyway, my best group at 100yds was 2.331" center to center. I'm certain that some of it was me, although it would be nice if the barrel was free-floated. Lessons learned for my next build, for sure. It was about 33 degrees and raining the whole time, so I think that may have influenced some of the results. At this point I'm not sure if any more accuracy can be had out of this barrel or not, but we'll see. Only time will tell.

1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 52
I chewed through a pound of 4064 keeping this thing fed before I really started keeping track of how it was doing. I'm now moving on to H335 and I'm curious if the groups will tighten up or not. I don't expect this thing to be sub-MOA but it would be nice if I could do maybe 1.5MOA? I don't know, on a non-free-floated barrel I'm not terribly hopeful.

Well, that's half true. The good news is that it doesn't get into the fire control group (and gunk up my Geisselle trigger). The bad news is that the gas HAS TO GO SOMEWHERE. This means that it's going into the piston and it DOES get dirty. I find it necessary (for my own satisfaction) to be meticulous in keeping the gas block and piston group clean because god knows what might happen if something gets lodged in there...it'll never come out!
Not tell everyone the best part - how easy it is to clean!

I got the only one they were making at the time- 16" carbine length.

I've never had to clean the bolt face and breech from carbon but I agree with you in principle- just wanted to caution potential buyers that you still have to clean the gun; a piston system is not a panacea for cleaning.

I want to hear more about the optic :)… I'm a believer in get a good optic you will change rifles all the time but spend the money on the optic. I haven't decided what I want to get just yet.

I like the optic for what it is; it's a fixed 4x scope, with a built in drop reticle. Sight it in for a 200 yard zero and you're up and running. Truth be told I haven't even touched the reflex sight on it yet- I should probably get on with zeroing it at 50 yards.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Definitely the optic of choice for a 3-gun match.

http://www.leupold.com/img/reticle/63/large/

I was looking at the EOTech EXPS Sight with G33 Magnifier Combo.. I want the reflex/holo sight and I want the scope/magnification. While price is important I'm willing to pay to do this once not twice. Some of the reviews say the reflex is too high.

This one looks interesting too.. but no reflex.. A lot of the images/reviews has them mounting a small one offset but I'm not sure that would be something I would like.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Vortex174-Razor-HD-Generation-II-1-6x24-Rifflescope/1396394.uts

Last edited:
Hmm, something is not right on their webpage. Ruger says both the carbine and standard have a 16" barrel yet the carbine is 2" shorter and half a pound lighter. If you want a 16" barrel I will trade you my standard upper :) they didn't have the carbine when I bought mine.

I've got an SR-556SC.

Hmm, something is not right on their webpage. Ruger says both the carbine and standard have a 16" barrel yet the carbine is 2" shorter and half a pound lighter. If you want a 16" barrel I will trade you my standard upper :) they didn't have the carbine when I bought mine.

Back
Top Bottom