• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Report: S&W Bodyguard 380

Received a new S&W Bodyguard 380. Nice looking gun, thin and easy to grip. It is thinner than my Berretta 21A in .22LR, which is nice, plus it fits in the same Desantis IWB holster.

Trying to field strip for initial inspection and cleaning was tough. The takedown pin was EXTREMELY tough to move down to the 90 degree position, and then very difficult to remove from the frame. I had to use a plastic wedge to pry it so it would pop loose. I called S&W and they suggested shooting a couple hundred rounds and trying again. They further told me the initial design release had a much looser spring clip that actually allowed the pin to pop out by itself during shooting, and the newer spring was to prevent that.

So I brought it down to the range with 200 rounds of Winchester white box FMJ ammo from WallyWorld.

The front blade sight is nice and wide and lines up nicely with the rear notch sight, very little daylight on either side of the blade. The built-in Insight laser activates with a press of a gray button, located on either side of the frame, just ahead of the trigger guard. The first press turns it on constant, and the second press pulses the laser. A third press shuts it off again. I was disappointed that the laser was not factory aligned to the iron sights, and then even more disappointed that my smallest hex wrench 0.050” was not small enough to adjust it, and that S&W did not include a proper wrench with the gun.

The trigger pull is long and kind of stiff, and almost feels like it snaps slightly when it finally breaks. I was having a tough time keeping the laser stationary when dry firing, but with a little practice, I was able to adjust my grip and trigger pull to smooth it out.

The 6 round magazine comes with an optional flush floor plate, but I opted for the finger extension plate to allow me to keep two fingers firmly on the grip.

I lined up the first six rounds to check accuracy. At 10 feet, I put 6 rounds in a 2” group. I tried again at 10 yards and had similar accuracy, with a 3” group.

The next 188 rounds, I fired shooting as fast as I could load the magazine (why only one mag S&W?) and pull the trigger six times. I was impressed that the gun has a very controllable recoil and is easy to get back on target. I used several shooting positions, two handed, off handed, shooting from the hip, etc. (Note: the brass has a tendency to eject up and to the rear, so if you shoot close quarters with the gun just in front of you, expect to get a couple in the face or landing on your head.)

All 200 rounds fed, fired and ejected perfectly, without a single failure of any kind.

To finish off the test, I loaded up 6 Winchester Supreme Elite 95g JHP (1000 fps muzzle) which will be used as carry ammo. Again, I took careful aim at 10 feet and put 6 holes in a 2” group.

After the range, I took the gun back to clean it, and was happy to find that the take down lever/pin was much easier to manipulate. I still needed a plastic wedge to pry it loose, but I think that is OK for now.

Overall, I would say that the S&W Bodyguard 380 is a nice gun for the caliber.

Thanks for the great write-up! I have been considering one of these but non-1911 SW semi-auto pistols have never impressed me. Smith revolvers on the other hand...

Just to add to this review.

*Get some snap caps and dryfire the snot out of it

*Trigger pull can be awkwardly long but its a DA so what can you do. Reset is also super long.

*Cheap ammo tends not to feed very well. I ran some Herters .380 through it (brass cased) and I had several FTF and FTE's (the FTF's could be because they had harder primers... who knows)

*When you takedown the gun if you push on the lever and push it past 90º it will pop out with out a wedge as the little bump stop forces it out.

One thing that me and my buddy found is that when you shoot 25 or so rounds through it the beaver tail begins to dig into your second knuckle on your thumb. We both got blisters after we were done shooting. It may be grip related but I can't really say.

Well it's better to have the takedown lever be a pain to get out instead of it popping right out on the ground and locking the gun up like mine did. I have one of the earlier models that had the looser fit "wire retention spring" for the takedown lever. It came out twice on me in the first 30 rounds fired. I sent it back to S&W to have the frame replaced with the new updated one. It is much harder to remove the lever now. I now have over 100 rounds thru the new frame and the gun shoots like a dream. Yes it does fling brass up and over your head! The trigger is long and hard, but it is DAO! It is very accurate for what it is, which is a pocket style belly gun. Check out the Desantis holsters for the BG380. I have the Nemesis pocket holster and couldn't be happier with the combo. Midway has most all of there holster in stock FYI.

http://www.desantisholster.com/store/SEARCH-BY-GUN-MANUFACTURER/SW/bodyguard-380cal

Last edited:
I have had my BG for 2 months as my carry gun. Before this, I carried a Micro Desert Eagle. I love the BG. Have shot 250 rounds thru the BG with no problems. I find it to be very accurate and the trigger is
Wonderful compared to the trigger on my MDE.

Disclaimer: I am a .380 acp hater.

My issue is that if you need to FIRST shoot 200 rounds of pricey ammo (why?!) how are you supposed to properly clean this firearm like we all know we are suppose to?

Proclaimer(?): I'm glad more people are carrying as a result of .380 acp popularity

One thing that me and my buddy found is that when you shoot 25 or so rounds through it the beaver tail begins to dig into your second knuckle on your thumb. We both got blisters after we were done shooting. It may be grip related but I can't really say.

Pics of the damage
IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0626.jpg

IM almost wondering if it would make sense to take the beaver tail and make it rounded across the back instead of flat to break up the pressure points.

Would maybe an aftermarket grip like a hogue handall help? I'm just curious.

I think a reshaped beavertail with a stiple job for more texture would be ideal. Its got decent texture from the factory but even still you only have 2 fingers on it so any additional grip would not be bad.

Disclaimer: I am a .380 acp hater.

My issue is that if you need to FIRST shoot 200 rounds of pricey ammo (why?!) how are you supposed to properly clean this firearm like we all know we are suppose to?

Proclaimer(?): I'm glad more people are carrying as a result of .380 acp popularity

I'm lost on the cleaning part? I cleaned it after shooting just like any other gun.

As for the caliber, I don't plan on carrying this thing, it's for my wife. I carry M&P 45 FS.

I agree on the $pricey part. How is it that Winchester white box (100 rounds value pack) is roughly $33 in .45 AUTO and $32 in .380 AUTO? Supply, Demand, Total BS? I go with choice 3 on that one.

I'm referencing cleaning new guns before you shoot them. Most if not all guns come with "gunk" (used to be cosmoline) to protect barrels and other metal parts. I believe even most manuals will say to clean first before range time. However, I am not certain on that. They should though if they don't.

It pisses me off that .380acp ammo is so expensive. All around you are using less materials to make the damn things. No reason why it should be that much.

.380 is crazy expensive. I don't have anything chambered in it but I notice it every time I go to pick up some 9 or 45. Although my friends dad wants me to try his PPK in .380 soon.

Back
Top Bottom