• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Report: Remington 513T Matchmaster 22LR

Mountain

NES Member
Finally made a trip to the range with the 513T I picked up a couple months ago at my friendly neighborhood LGS. Remington made the 513's from 1940 through 1968. The 'T' variant was set up for target shooting- Redfield sights, 27" heavy semi-floated bbl, heavy American walnut stock, beavertail forend, solid sling swivels. Many were made on contract circa WWII for Uncle Sam and supplied to wartime ROTC and DCM programs. Would have been cool to find a govt. issue rifle, but mine is just the civvie version. Nothing particularly fancy, it's just a well made and solid target platform.

I was a little reluctant to buy it at first. Hanging on the wall, there were some runs on the finish evident on its underside- looked like someone used paint thinner to clean it and forgot to wipe some off. There were a couple scratches on the stock and the vintage sling had many deep scratches. Took a look at the bore and didn't like what I saw- dark, dirty, maybe showing some frosting. Not really my standard for rifle care. A few weeks later I had not found anything I liked and came back with a fair offer that gave me some cover in case the bore would not clean up.

As they say, some things just clean up well. A little elbow grease, bore paste, and #9 revealed a mirror bright bore with sharp rifling. Rest of the rifle looked pretty good after some cleaning & the runs on the bottom of the stock look better after appying some oil.

513-.1_zpsg08nbddc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

513-1.01_zpsvfidcunq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The rear sight was missing its insert, so upon advice from here picked up an adjustable Gehmann iris. New mags are still available, so I had some extras delivered and finally went out see how she runs with some standard velocity CCI 22LR. The action is ok- not terrible but not awesome either. Temps at the range Sat AM were mid 30's and the oil I used was getting a bit thick, so I'll hold final opinions on the action until later. These have a reputation for having a mediocre trigger & I concur. Despite that, this thing is a damn fine shooter:

513-1_zpsrgwehrla.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Note the Lee Shaver front globe sight inserts from Brownells. I'll do a separate write up for those as I'm impressed with the product. The target is a NRA A-17 with a 0.15" diameter 10-ring (no room for the x-ring, LOL). Official distance is 50 feet but I shot at 25 yards. Once sighted in I shot an OK .230" five shot one-hole group above. I also shot a string of six individual targets and was able to at least touch the 10-ring for half of the 6 shots and was on the 9-ring for the rest.

In conclusion, this old school 22LR target horse still has legs and after a little clean up looks good too. In my humble opinion, it's only a good trigger away from being a phenomenal shooter. Now, what to do about that trigger...

Last edited:
I had never seen nor heard of the 513T's until very recently. Learned a little from a NES friend who has a govt issue. That fact that a few are popping up on NES supports my theory that competitive shooting or at least good marksmanship was and still is really strong here in New England. Guess we were too busy with quail, ducks, and coons in the South. Yankee's rock (at least NES Yankees do...)

If I recall, CMP had a number of them for sale a few years back for short money.

They are/were also used at a lot of Boy Scout camp rifle ranges, so there may be some nostalgia value.

Some of the parts are available but in demand -- bolt assemblies and correct sights being among them.

My son has one and it really is a great shooter. He uses it at our clubs 200 yd matches. I found the best ammo for his gun was CCI SV, when I sighted it in from a bench after he got it, it shot a 196-6X at 200. I was more than impressed.

Awesome! Bet he really has to lob them up there to be on target at 200. What target to they use?

I've got one as well...a US Property marked version with the Olympic front sight...looks like a grenade launcher on the muzzle.

glad you like it....
as with any gun play with ammo...mine likes wolf match and eley target is not to bad...although for my skill set aguila rifle match does very well. great gun good feel...the trigger is a bit quirky and needs some playing with. Remember also in the 513s prime I think the minimum trigger pull was 3lbs ?

Pembroke uses the SR target same as the CMP shoots.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty happy with it, especially for the price. I'll play around with ammo over time. I print out SR1's for my 100 yd range, so easy enough for me to duplicate match target conditions. Since it's shooting sub MOA, it will only be my fault if I'm not plastering the 10-ring. Should be a perfect platform to practice off-hand at 100 yds. Even if I switch to lefty, I don't think my shoulder injury will allow the pressure from a sling. Saw the surgeon today- MRI and EMG to follow but probable rotator cuff tear + looks like some deltoid muscle and nerve damage.

When the trigger is good, my usual flaws (or the rifle's) is vertical stringing. Keep in mind the stringing isn't horrible- on my self built 10/22 this weekend I shot ~.6 MOA (scoped) with nil displacement side to side. The 513T is spreading a little in all directions (irons) but still ~.9 MOA. Some of that probably my eyesight which is a little worse on dark, cloudy days. I still think a smoother trigger set to a lower pull weight will make a significant difference.

I have had a Kidd trigger for a long time and finally installed it on the 10/22. The vertical stringing could be from the action settling back in to the stock or maybe the scope is loose? Have not had this problem with the 10/22 before, which usually is literally capable of driving tacks at 50 yards. Another subject for another post...

Sweeny, that Olympic front sight looks like a RPG launcher, lol.

Last edited:
found it... this is the military service manual for the 22s you will find the section on trigger adjustment.

http://www.cgsc.edu/carl/wwIItms/TM9_280_1944.pdf
you can also lightly polish any contact points. Its not a "great" trigger although it can be adjusted to do well. Much better than so many other triggers you can find today.
NOTE if the trigger is adjusted poorly it will fire with out warning or when you close the bolt.

As for the 10/22 I found action screw torque to really have a impact on my 10/22 late 80s vintage carbine. I found out I have a early KIDD trigger set up @ 2#. this is by far the best shooting 10/22 I have owned. solid 1/2' at 50 yards with a 6x scope. When I put it back together it would not group??? one of the old timers

at the club said try 15 inch pounds on the action screw. Then tighten 2lbs at a time up to about 21"lbs.
I use my snap on 1/4 drive torque wrench...at 18lbs the groups came right back?

I have not run any match ammo through this 10/22 yet.. I ring my 513 and tacsol ar 22 out when I play with 22s

I have my 513 set up for 200 yards just have not been able to get out yet. I had to buy a shorter front sight set up. I still think I need a shorter base for my globe set up.

Last edited:
I'm sure I have over-torqued the action bolt on the 10/22. Not insanely high, but certainly much higher than 16-18 in lbs. I ordered one of the Wheeler Firearms screwdriver type torque drivers. Should be good enough for govt. work plus free Prime shipping. College boy 1 has Prime...

Unless you really need that base shortened, you could get a set of the Shaver front sight inserts and shorten a post to your liking.

I'm sure I have over-torqued the action bolt on the 10/22. Not insanely high, but certainly much higher than 16-18 in lbs. I ordered one of the Wheeler Firearms screwdriver type torque drivers. Should be good enough for govt. work plus free Prime shipping. College boy 1 has Prime...

Unless you really need that base shortened, you could get a set of the Shaver front sight inserts and shorten a post to your liking.

I don't really like the post rather the round inserts....recently tried a floating ring insert on a friend's gun and I really liked.

Not sure what brand but looks like this
http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=5422228

Old timer also claims uneven or over torque of the barrel V block can cause issues.
He claims 20inlbs is more than enough. Although I was not about to take my gun apart again to check. It's shooting better than I can so I leave it be.

Last edited:
I might try one of the round inserts for shooting the SR-1 at 100 yards. The tiny A-17 target even at 25 yards with the smallest circle insert leaves too much white border around the black bull. SR-1 at correct distance might be just the right fit.

I really can't complain- sub moa on a dark day is fine. We are improving the range, which will result in cutting quite a few trees. This should help with the lighting since it's like shooting in a tunnel now.

Finally got about 20 min to get a few rounds down range. I been trying to set my old 513 up for 200 yards.

513 200yd.jpg
Once I ran out of elevation trying to zero on the lower black bull I just said to hell with it. Decided to shoot the remainder of the box (26 rounds) off hand. If the elevation was there I would have had most of my shots in the black....that's a good day for me.
I used the plain old Aquila yellow box 1050fps decent stuff for the money.
Next time I will dig out some match ammo after I get a lower front sight base to gain some elevation.

Attachments

• TgtGfx.jpg
    TgtGfx.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 13
  • TgtGfx.jpg
    TgtGfx.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
What is a Rremington 513T in good condition with a Weaver B4 Scope worth?
I've had one for 40 years. Hasn't been shot in 20 years.
Best way to have a rough idea is to check Gunbroker for completed (sold) listings. Guns tend to go for at least a slight premium on GB, though there is a commission to be paid. Pricing for local classifieds would likely be a little lower. Of course condition makes a big difference, and 513T's marked as govt property get a slight premium for that..

You should know that the forum frowns upon such questions from non-paying users as they can be considered a stealth offer to sell in a manner that circumvents the rather low membership fee. Membership is required to post classifieds.

What is a Rremington 513T in good condition with a Weaver B4 Scope worth?
I've had one for 40 years. Hasn't been shot in 20 years.
its hard to say depends on model , sights, condition made from 1940-1968 so not rare...
also depends if it was factory equipped for a scope or did after? I think the top of the curve came and went for the 513t --- see them from $350-$850 depending on condition , sights, extras and so on.
The B4 is probably worth more on its own than included with the rifle

Back
Top Bottom