Range Report 45/70 Revolver

Broc

NES Member
The 45/70 revolver shoots great, see the 5 shot group. I flinched on one of them.

20200730_174346.jpg

And then it blew the f*** up.

I have only ever seen pictures, and today I was the lucky guy.

20200730_172435.jpg

Yes, this just happened.

(Sorry, I don't know why this one loads sideways)
20200730_173733.jpg

The barrel blew the f-up. The ejector flew up and to the right and hit the ceiling.

I could not believe I don't have a single scratch and the guys that were next to me stepped back a few minutes early. That ejector could have messed someone up.

I had to ask them a couple of times if I was bleeding somewhere and didn't notice.

No, I did not sh*t my pants but had to check.

Cause ... Squib.
Caliber ... 45/70.
Manufacturer... Magnum Research.

I wasnt speed shooting this thing. I don't know how I didn't hear the squib.

My guess is the powder moved forward in the case, the primer didn't ignite it, but it pushed the bullet.

The gun still works; trigger, hammer and cylinder work fine. It needs a new barrel, but I don't think I will replace it. I am done with this gun, at least for a while.

The casings I pulled out look fine.

Attachments

• 20200730_172435.jpg
    20200730_172435.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 25
The 45/70 revolver shoots great, see the 5 shot group. I flinched on one of them.

View attachment 376916

And then it blew the f*** up.

I have only ever seen pictures, and today I was the lucky guy.

View attachment 376918

Yes, this just happened.

(Sorry, I don't know why this one loads sideways)
View attachment 376922

The barrel blew the f-up. The ejector flew up and to the right and hit the ceiling.

I could not believe I don't have a single scratch and the guys that were next to me stepped back a few minutes early. Ghat ekector could have messed someone up.

I had to ask them a couple of times if I was bleeding somewhere and didn't notice.

No, I did not sh*t my pants but had to check.

Cause ... Squib.
Caliber ... 45/70.
Manufacturer... Magnum Research.

I wasnt speed shooting this thing. I don't know how I didn't hear the squib.

My guess is the powder moved forward in the case, the primer didn't ignite it, but it pushed the bullet.

The gun still works; trigger, hammer and cylinder work fine. It needs a new barrel, but I don't think I will replace it. I am done with this gun, at least for a while.

The casings I pulled out look fine.
HOLY CRAP!
So glad you’re ok. You’re lucky to walk away from that one with all of your digits.
What was the load data? Or supposed load data?

HOLY CRAP!
So glad you’re ok. That’s a lucky one to walk away from with all of your digits.
What was the load data? Or supposed load data?
500 grain bullet. (.459)
SPG lube.
CCI LR PEIMER
28 GRAINS H4198
New 45/70 starline brass
No fillers between bullet and powder.
No compression.

I don't believe in signs... but the first five shots went fine except I got light strikes on every primer the first time and then they all went off. Weird. The gun is stock.

The second group of five, I got a light strike on 3 rounds, then one went off, then what I thought was another light strike (it was a squib), then BOOM.

500 grain bullet.
SPG lube.
CCI LR PEIMER
28 GRAINS H4198
New 45/70 starline brass
No fillers between bullet and powder.
No compression.
That’s very weird. I load a very similar load 32 grains H4198 with a 405 and have some so for a long time. Standard book load. Easy to light off.
Similar load density I would guess.

Any chance you could have loaded IMR4198 instead ?

That’s very weird. I load a very similar load 32 grains H4198 with a 405 and have some so for a long time. Standard book load. Easy to light off.
Similar load density I would guess.

Any chance you could have loaded IMR4198 instead ?
No. I loaded H4198. Even if it was the IMR, the load data is almost identical (but it wasn't IMR, I don't have an open container of IMR).

Damn glad you're OK ,, don't want to see miss the next seminar , it looks like a squib but that should have bukged before going all full retard. There's definitely a metalurgy problem there
I will bring it to the seminar.

That is an interesting point.

So you say you think it needs a new barrel, huh?

Glad you’re ok. That’s some serious pucker factor. Definitely a two martini dinner.
I'm sure it needs more than that. I have no idea how the metal was stressed. But, the cylinder rotates, I can pull the trigger, the hammer seems fine.

Please, don't think I would replace the barrel and go shoot it or sell it. I would never do that. If I ever replace the barrel, it will be sent back to Magnum Research.

I'm sure it needs more than that. I have no idea how the metal was stressed. But, the cylinder rotates, I can pull the trigger, the hammer seems fine.

Please, don't think I would replace the barrel and go shoot it or sell it. I would never do that. If I ever replace the barrel, it will be sent back to Magnum Research.

I’d frame it and hang it above my non-existent fireplace. That thing is a work of art, a conversation piece, and a good luck charm, all rolled in to one.

DAMN! You sir are very lucky several times over between not having the glasses on and not catching any shrapnel and not having anyone around you catch any either. Someone else beat me to the lottery ticket line. Whoever was watching over you gave you a do-over!

Definitely a squib. Good lesson there for all of us on the danger of light strikes and squibs!

Back
Top Bottom