Range Report #4: DOT44 K98k Mauser

majspud

NES Life Member
NES Member
Fourth in a series of range reports. Up this time is a 1944 DOT (Waffenwerk Brunn, Czechoslovakia) Mauser K98k. Standard 30 rounds, 1940 Turk, 100 yards, seated, no rifle rest but used sling as rest. Target is 12"x12" with a 2" red center. This has been my hardest rifle to shoot; it shoots very high, the front sight is short and squat, and as I was aiming about 18" below center, most strikes are 2 feet above point of aim. I actually mananged to get all 30 on paper which is very good for this rifle. Also the trigger on this rifle is a single stage, there is no resistance at the end, so I never really know when it will go "boom."

The rifle is an odd duck; a probable east German Post-war rework, and an early import. This was my first Mauser, purchased in 1995. Stock is mostly matching to itself, 37762a no WaA, and bolt is matching to itself, #4841 WaA37/Suhl except safety. Trigger is electropenciled to match, barrel is an Obendorf replacement, and front and rear sling swivels were added. I replaced the front with a late war stamped WaA135. Semi-Kriegsmodel stock, possible DOT, but the rear sling mount obliterated any proof. Only one small unnumbered proof on the stock and no Heer stamp. Sling is a reproduction.

101_0436.jpg

MS

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom